Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:02 PM

321 posts, read 183,041 times

Advertisements

I think theocracy is a distinct possibility at this point. Read the below story for more evidence.

Women on Birth Control Could Be Barred From Working If Missouri Lawmakers Get Their Way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:04 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
I'm not worried.

The system was designed to resist things like this. Tyrants and zealots cannot hold more power than the normal people.

The system's not immune of course, but enough people would oppose anything resembling a theocracy that I firmly believe there is no need to worry. Maybe some religious laws passed in the next few years that allow con artists under the guise of religion to take money and invest in some polished tax shelters, but religious liberty is almost certainly not in any real jeopardy.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It really seems like things are starting to snowball in that direction. From the ruling that taxpayer money can now fund religious schools to Kentucky's new law putting the Bible back in school, I really think we are headed to a Baptist theocracy in this country, or at least in the South.

Question is, how far will they go? Will evolution be banned from science classes and be replaced with curriculum written by Ken Ham? Will US History classes be taught with David Barton's curriculum, which teaches that America was founded and built by Baptists and the First Amendment only applies to Protestant Christianity?

Under Trump, the religious right as the most empowered it has been since Jerry Falwell's prime in the 1980s.

I really feel marriage equality isn't long for the world. Roe v Wade could be on its way out as well, or at least there could be some unprecedented restrictions placed on it.

What do you think?
I think we're headed towards some trying times, but do I expect a full blown Iran-style Christian Republic of America? I don't think so. I think the Religious Right is going to make a very strong push but demographics are against them. Go to a church anywhere in America and well over half of the people there will be over 70. Maybe the special Spanish languages masses at Catholic churches will be younger but Hispanics don't vote for the Ted Cruz style Republicans that support creating a Christian theocracy. That said, in the "Bible Belt" and in heavy Republican areas things are going to get really hairy as they get increasingly desperate to maintain power in an America that is becoming less and less White, and more and more secular.

It's going to be a close run thing and a nailbiter for another 15-20 years but White Christian America is done. Trump's election was the swan song.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:29 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
The ruling didn't say that religious schools could be funded. It said nothing more than how things long have been.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:41 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The ruling didn't say that religious schools could be funded. It said nothing more than how things long have been.
Yeah, the ruling was about letting a church apply for a grant to cover their playground with recycled tires.

If you really stretch, you can interpret this ruling as supporting religion. You can also interpret it as the government being interested in protecting the knees of religious kids as well as non-religious kids.

There are plenty of folks who'd like to enshrine their version of jesus as a permanent member of the president's cabinet, and they are certainly feeling their oats right now. But OP, you should know that many christians are not comfortable with that idea. Let alone the rest of us.

I think in the long run the US will remain a secular government. Because, as any member of a religious minority knows, a secular government is a religious person's best bet.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:42 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Rural areas in the South, Appalachia, and parts of the Midwest have always been "de-facto" Christian theocracies. Watch the movie "Footloose."

Nothing new here.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
We do have a theocracy, its called collectivism, the religion that believes that real human beings must be subjugated for the sake of the fictional collective. The religion of State.

Last edited by irspow; 06-29-2017 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Actually, pastors, priests, rabbis, imams, et cetera, of bona fide church organizations (including Jewish synagogues, Muslim mosques, and such) have always been tax exempt and fully able to preach all the politics they want without ever having to apply for non-profit tax exemption. Bona fide churches have never actually had to apply for tax exemption--their tax exempt status predates the Constitution itself. They just have to look and act enough like a conventional church to win the legal case if the IRS ever claimed they weren't really a "church."

Non-profit tax exemption allows religious organizations that wouldn't win a court case proving them to be a bona fide church to be exempt from taxes, and under the Johnson Amendment in that case they must also refrain from explicit political activities.

So this recent move does not give new permission for bona fide churches to practice politics--they've always had that liberty.

It gives "church-ish" non-profits the ability to practice politics.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post
I think theocracy is a distinct possibility at this point. Read the below story for more evidence.

Women on Birth Control Could Be Barred From Working If Missouri Lawmakers Get Their Way
Chilling but it doesn't surprise me.

The fundamentalist Baptists' end-game is a world where women are forced to stay in the home, cannot work outside of special circumstances, cannot use birth control, and must have a "quiverfull" of children.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 PM

275 posts, read 185,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Only if Radical Islam isn't put in it's place.
So, in order to fight Sharia law, we implement Sharia law. See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCity56 View Post

They don't want abortions but they don't want to fund someone's else life choices and they don't want birth control, well they are going to start humping furniture because there's no way they will be able to have sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies