Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 01:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did I say it didn't vary by state? It would be interesting to see what 2194 says. The precinct number or address has to be available somewhere accessible on the registration list or else you wouldn't be bombarded by candidate mailings.?
You made a claim that ALL the information is public you never said that it varies by state, are we supposed to read your mind? And it's not hard to find 2194
California Code, Elections Code - ELEC § 2194 | FindLaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 01:12 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did I say it didn't vary by state? It would be interesting to see what 2194 says. The precinct number or address has to be available somewhere accessible on the registration list or else you wouldn't be bombarded by candidate mailings.?
At the very least, SSN is still a no go for California California Code, Elections Code - ELEC § 2194 | FindLaw

Old 07-01-2017, 01:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I understand checking whether illegals are voting, but is all the information being requested truly necessary? All that's needed is SSN, voter eligibility (citizen, 18+, not a felon), and how many times that person voted.

The voting details and history does not seem essential to weed out election fraud.
Well, others have pretty much already given the answer but your information is already public. You're not giving up anything. It's already out there.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:14 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Total waste of money. The number of deaths and people who moved since the election would cause so much manpower to cross check. Then you have people who are on 2 rolls bc of moving, college, etc. but weren't properly removed.
It's like drug testing for welfare, it's not fiscally responsible. I don't doubt that some illegally voted but if it was an organized effort they would go to swing states. The majority of the complaints are about dark blue states.
I personally wouldn't care about giving my info cuz I assume the gvt has it anyway. Besides, I can google an address and some website always pops up that says the name and political party of every registered voter on the block. All your business is online even if you don't know it unless you have a common name and don't have an address linked to your actual home.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
At the very least, SSN is still a no go for California California Code, Elections Code - ELEC § 2194 | FindLaw
So is most of the rest of the prohibited information, address is only available if there is a challenge to a vote and the information is only given to the challenger.

Quote:
(a) Except as provided in Section 2194.1, the affidavit of voter registration information identified in Section 6254.4 of the Government Code:

(1) Shall be confidential and shall not appear on any computer terminal, list, affidavit, duplicate affidavit, or other medium routinely available to the public at the county elections official's office.

(2) Shall not be used for any personal, private, or commercial purpose, including, but not limited to:

(A) The harassment of any voter or voter's household.

(B) The advertising, solicitation, sale, or marketing of products or services to any voter or voter's household.

(C) Reproduction in print, broadcast visual or audio, or display on the Internet or any computer terminal unless pursuant to paragraph (3).

(3) Shall be provided with respect to any voter, subject to the provisions of Sections 2166.5, 2166.7, and 2188, to any candidate for federal, state, or local office, to any committee for or against any initiative or referendum measure for which legal publication is made, and to any person for election, scholarly, journalistic, or political purposes, or for governmental purposes, as determined by the Secretary of State.

(b)(1) Notwithstanding any other law, the California driver's license number, the California identification card number, the social security number, and any other unique identifier used by the State of California for purposes of voter identification shown on the affidavit of voter registration of a registered voter, or added to voter registration records to comply with the requirements of the federal Help America Vote Act of 2002 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 15301 et seq.), are confidential and shall not be disclosed to any person.

(2) Notwithstanding any other law, the signature of the voter shown on the affidavit of voter registration is confidential and shall not be disclosed to any person, except as provided in subdivision (c).

(c)(1) The home address or signature of any voter shall be released whenever the person's vote is challenged pursuant to Sections 15105 to 15108, inclusive, or Article 3 (commencing with Section 14240) of Chapter 3 of Division 14.  The address or signature shall be released only to the challenger, to elections officials, and to other persons as necessary to make, defend against, or adjudicate the challenge.

(2) An elections official shall permit a person to view the signature of a voter for the purpose of determining whether the signature matches a signature on an affidavit of registration or a petition, but shall not permit a signature to be copied.

(d) A governmental entity, or officer or employee thereof, shall not be held civilly liable as a result of disclosure of the information referred to in this section, unless by a showing of gross negligence or willfulness.

(e) For the purposes of this section, “voter's household” is defined as the voter's place of residence or mailing address or any persons who reside at the place of residence or use the mailing address as supplied on the affidavit of registration pursuant to paragraphs (3) and (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 2150.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:16 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
By federal law the data is held in such a way that no one can enter a name and determine what if any guns they have purchased, that's not really hard to understand & I'm surprised that you weren't already familiar with the law.
It's obvious you've never purchased a gun or how gun sales/investigations work...

You don't enter the owners name. If a weapon is found at the scene of a crime. Police have to gather the serial number from the receiver and the fingerprints on the firearm... the ATF Stands for Alcohol Tobacco and FIREARMS Not people. They do not create a registry of People. They keep a registry of firearms...

Nowhere does it express Alcohol Tobacco Firearms People.

That registry traces back to who bought it, and where they bought it from. I say again, because you do not like the method does not make it a non database.

Do you even know the responsibilities of an FFL holder? Never mind the average joe selling something from their collection, or someone who manufactures...

You really need to research these things...
Like I said... the ATF knows everything I own and can trace everything I've purchased back to me.... again because you don't like the way it's set up to where it can be searched by name... Doesn't make it a non database.
Search a name, ok, what good is that going to do? A police officer finds a weapon at the scene of a crime he has finger prints and has a serial number unless it's been destroyed... what good is a name search going to do?

The loon who did Sandy hook that wasn't his bushmaster. Killed his mother then used his mothers gun. What good would his name do in a database if that name never acquired the gun?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:16 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Yes. Except one cannot determine that from the data. At least not honestly. And with this commission my money is on dishonesty.
You'd be surprised what you can determine from a simple vote count.

What percentage of the precinct's registered voters actually voted?
Is that within historical norms?
Did the votes cast generally follow registration numbers?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:22 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
The whole thing is to sooth Trumps eqo. He looses the popular vote. He then claims 5 million illegal votes. That notion is rejected by both sided of the aisle. So he creates a very partisan committee headed by a guy that was fined by the courts for providing misleading information regarding voter registration.

At the end of the data they will find lots of people who are dead or listed multiple times because they moved. And then they will count up the ones that are democrat and say see Trump was right.

Otherwise why are they asking for party affiliation? There is zero reason they would need that.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
It's obvious you've never purchased a gun or how gun sales/investigations work...
You don't enter the owners name. If a weapon is found at the scene of a crime. Police have to gather the serial number from the receiver and the fingerprints on the firearm... the ATF Stands for Alcohol Tobacco and FIREARMS Not people. They do not create a registry of People. They keep a registry of firearms... Nowhere does it express Alcohol Tobacco Firearms People. That registry traces back to who bought it, and where they bought it from. I say again, because you do not like the method does not make it a non database. Do you even know the responsibilities of an FFL holder? Never mind the average joe selling something from their collection, or someone who manufactures... You really need to research these things...
Like I said... the ATF knows everything I own and can trace everything I've purchased back to me.... again because you don't like the way it's set up to where it can be searched by name... Doesn't make it a non database. Search a name, ok, what good is that going to do? A police officer finds a weapon at the scene of a crime he has finger prints and has a serial number unless it's been destroyed... what good is a name search going to do? The loon who did Sandy hook that wasn't his bushmaster. Killed his mother then used his mothers gun. What good would his name do in a database if that name never acquired the gun?
What in the world does any of this have to do with what I said which is that gun ownership is not kept in a database that is searchable by owner name, that is federal law. Some states do require gun registration but I am talking about federal law. And as far as your admonishment that I must not have ever purchased a gun or done investigations. I own guns, I am retired law enforcement & I used to do gun traces.
Once again, (and hopefully for the last time) If I want to know how many guns, or what kind of guns Ny refugee owns I cannot enter his name in a federal database and find out because federal law prohibits that.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
This is going to be interesting because Washington state has a Republican Secretary of State. Usually a Republican in a blue state like Washington tries to thread the needle when it comes to topics like this. She just said she will give them names, addresses and dates of birth. The opposition ad is probably being created now for the next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies