Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 10:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Get socialized medicine and you too can be ordered to die by the courts.
Hyperbole much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
If this were to happen in the United States, the insurance companies would, at a certain point, stop paying for the life support. What would then happen is the parents would either have to allow the child to die (which is inevitable, by the way) or choose to pay for it out of pocket.

Life insurance, according to the Washington Post, usually costs around $2,000-$4,000 per day. 60 Minutes found that the price can skyrocket to $10,000, but let's be unrealistically optimistic and just say it would cost $2,000 a day. By the end of the week, they've spend $14,000, and by the end of the month, $56,000. The median household income is about $54,000.

Assuming they make around the median household income, they've spent more than their yearly income in a month. And hell, even if they make a good amount more than the median household income, the cost of life support after a real would be $672,000. And this based on the low estimate of life support cost.

The family has now gone into extreme debt in a matter of months. Their child will soon die and they will never pay that money off. It may sound horrifying on paper, particularly when you word it like "the state orders you dead," but in that scenario, the state is stepping in and preventing a significant amount of suffering. The child's pain will end and the grieving process for the parents can begin. Horrifying as it may seem, I'd take the state being a voice of reason in a case of an incurable travesty over being able to go into absurd debt in a matter of weeks.
This relates to the need for no annual or lifetime cap on benefits. Rarely used but needed. We already ran across this this year after our head on crash 1/1.

That being said, the carriers negotiate major discounts. So they might pay 10-20% for a prolonged stay. As has so far happened with my wife's inpatient billings.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's all part of it. You didn't see my post ? I'm not partial to either way at the moment.

"I posted this for a reason. We just can't have it both ways. If we go the socialized route for the majority of people it will probably work out and there will be cases like these. If we continue on the way we are, only people like my wife and I that pay our $800 a month in premium will get coverage while those of us less fortunate will suffer.

The common denominator of all this though, and it is one that our politicians aren't focusing on , like Craigiri said, although I'll add "crony" capitalist health care is a big fail. I'm all for capitalism but what we are seeing from the insurance companies and big pharma is more like extortion.

How do we get a handle on it ? Our politicians fighting about it in DC aren't ... it certainly doesn't seem like it."

In your opinion should the child, in your example, be kept on or taken off of life support? What should happen if the parents could not pay in to the socialized medicine program?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:09 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How quickly we forget the Schiavo case.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo_case

She was in a vegitarias state and her husband pursued removal of her feeding tube. Her parents however, disagreed. This eventually landed in Federal court that eventually concluded the tube be removed.

While this was a very sensationalized case, there is no shortage of instances where US courts have decided to pull the plug.
George and Jeb Bush sure politicized that poor girl. BTW, her autopsy showed her upper brain was severly and irreversibly damaged from prolonged lack of oxygen. Schiavo Autopsy Released

Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Single payer doesn't have to equal to Government control over our health or health care for all.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:14 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In your opinion should the child, in your example, be kept on or taken off of life support? What should happen if the parents could not pay in to the socialized medicine program?

To be honest, it is a tough call on either of your questions. I know and my wife knows this, if I end up in that situation, I don't want to be on life support for an extended amount of time. As a parent, looking at their child... not sure I could feel the same way.

As far as not being able to pay... I think unless we are all wealthy not too many of us could afford to pay that hospital bill. My question is why does it cost millions of dollars to begin with ? Why does a night in ICU cost $10k ?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Some numbers to ponder. The US spends 17.1% of its GDP on health care, the UK 9.1%, Germany 11.3%, France 11.5%, Canada 10.4%. All of those countries have longer life expectancies than we do. If we could get our health care spending down to their rate it would be a massive financial windfall to both businesses and individuals - equal in size to the largest tax cut in modern history. It is likely that we could do single payer universal coverage without raising taxes because we already spend more on medicade and medicare per citizen than other developed countries do to provide quality universal health care to all of their citizens. The problem is that the lobbying efforts of insurance companies, drug companies and doctors have distorted our system beyond all sense.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Single payer doesn't have to equal to Government control over our health or health care for all.
No it does not. e.g. Medicare

Old 06-30-2017, 10:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't care what you call it. It's far better than to pay an absurd amount to an insurance company every month, sometimes as much as your house payment or more and then have to go to a doctor of their choice and they approve of and has a 3 week waiting list to get in and see. If you're lucky enough to see a doctor and don't get sicker and die first, you have to pay a huge deductible and co-pay.
How did our health care system turn into this horrible mess?
You need to go back to pre WW2.

In those times past, Cancer, Heart Disease, Stroke, Polio were for the most part, untreatable and unsurvivable. People died from a simple absessed tooth.

Organs and joints could not be replaced.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
To be honest, it is a tough call on either of your questions. I know and my wife knows this, if I end up in that situation, I don't want to be on life support for an extended amount of time. As a parent, looking at their child... not sure I could feel the same way.

As far as not being able to pay... I think unless we are all wealthy not too many of us could afford to pay that hospital bill. My question is why does it cost millions of dollars to begin with ? Why does a night in ICU cost $10k ?
It can easily depending on severity, complexity and what needs to be done.

That being said, the 3rd parties will negotiate way cheaper prices. 10-20% of charges might be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies