Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgendered individuals be able to serve in United States of America's military?
Yes 101 52.33%
No 92 47.67%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:44 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

This is just a Trump trick to rally ignorant.

Seems to be working.
The ignorant? Like the Hopkins Psychiatrist, the world renowned one who said flat out that transgender doesn't exist and is the product of mental illness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 04:45 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I served in Vietnam. I did not care about the sexual identity of anyone. As long as they protected my back, what did It matter?
Did they expect the military to pay for their treatment at the time?

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you can't deploy, except under very limited temporary basis, you shouldn't be allowed to serve.
This sentence confuses me a bit. Are you trying to say that while recovering from the surgery they couldn't deploy?

Anyway, thats not what happened today. Today, our president told 2500 soldiers to go home, we don't want you.

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Trump really needs to figure out how to go about the order of making a change.

If the military funding is paying for the transgender surgeries and psychological appt, and maintenance meds, I say the military should not pay for this.

Just as prison funding shouldn't be, but it is.

Tax payers fund the military and the prison and we should not pay for transgender medical bills.
I agree.

I think they should be allowed to serve, with the clear understanding that the military will NOT pay for any special accommodations or go out their way for them because of it. If they cause issues once in, send them back home.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:47 PM

57,276 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with why transitioned transgendered individuals should continue to be banned from serving. They are non-deployable.

Military service is not about the right to a job but the responsibility to defend this nation and its interests. If you can't deploy, except under very limited temporary basis, you shouldn't be allowed to serve.
Since there are already a few thousand serving in the military the Secretary of Defense should be able to intelligently answer if a problem exists. This is just another distraction by Trump and it smells of Bannon to divert real discussions about real issues, it worked. Mattis asked for 6 more months to address the issue last month and the White House circumvented him. If they are going to worry about psychological issues then they need to do it universally, not just for transgendered. They have a pretty poor track record on screening military.

So now that this is out there what do they do with a few thousand already in the military.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:49 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
69 years ago TODAY, July 26, 1948, POTUS Truman desegregated the US Military.

And on the anniversary of that great day, Trump decides to ban Ameeofan citizens to serve based on their sexual identity.

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
This sentence confuses me a bit. Are you trying to say that while recovering from the surgery they couldn't deploy?

Anyway, thats not what happened today. Today, our president told 2500 soldiers to go home, we don't want you.
No. While taking hormones they can't deploy -and it's because of what will happen if they don't get them that it is an issue. This is true of any service member that must regularly take drugs, on anything but a temporary basis, to be medically stable. There are all kinds of medical diagnoses that lead to a medical discharge that on the surface don't seem like they should be an issue, for the same reason.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:58 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
That's not an authored study. It's an FAQ page from the APA - the same source that I used to link to the interview that I posted earlier. I'd like you to provide a citation for the study you have read that you keep referring to that indicates that the mental health and biological sciences community has made a determination about transgendered soldiers being fit to serve and having no issues. You keep stating that, so you must have learned it somewhere.

You have gallantly described yourself as a person of truth, so please share with us the source for all the truth you are sharing here.

The APA is a professional organization specializing in mental health. If it's a mental illness, why do they specifically state that it is not? What do you think they are basing that conclusion on? And let's be honest here, you're not going to accept any links I provide because your mind is already made up on the matter.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:58 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Since there are already a few thousand serving in the military the Secretary of Defense should be able to intelligently answer if a problem exists. This is just another distraction by Trump and it smells of Bannon to divert real discussions about real issues, it worked. Mattis asked for 6 more months to address the issue last month and the White House circumvented him. If they are going to worry about psychological issues then they need to do it universally, not just for transgendered. They have a pretty poor track record on screening military.

So now that this is out there what do they do with a few thousand already in the military.
according to this article,

RAND estimates that between 30 and 140 would like to seek hormone treatment, and 25 to 130 would seek surgery. The estimated annual price tag: $2.4 million to $8.4 million, per year.

Treatment is estimated to cost as much as $50,000 per soldier. Treatment generally moves from counseling to hormone therapy, and in relatively rare cases, gender reassignment surgery. A military doctor must deem the treatment medically necessary.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gery/90331678/

I think the military should stop paying for their treatment because it is not service related. If they don't need to take medication or have surgery, then they should be allowed to stay because they don't have a chronic illness. However, if they do need to take medication, then they should be processed out (medical retirement)

If you really view them as everybody else, then treat them as everybody else. What do you say to a Marine who was recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis? He would be processed out because he suffers from chronic illness cannot be corrected without medication and physical therapy. He can still get service related disability benefit.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:01 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If God had intended men to get it up, there would be no problem.

Unless you are looking at Hillary Clinton naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies