Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Exactly. Business owners will hire exactly the number they need and justify ROI. He will not hire a second dish washer if his place doesnt need one, even if pay goes from $10 to $5.
well said, I've tried to make that point a dozen times on these threads and it usually falls on deaf ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
$17.50/hr (of its for 40 he's/week) still is poverty wages here, that would be $35k/yr, which would be about $27k/yr take home, leaving you only $2,250/month net pay. You would spend 40% of that in rent on the median one bedroom apartment.
Then live someplace where your dollar goes farther.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:13 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not that easy. Sometimes the free babysitter is grandma who aint going anywhere.
Moving is not cheap.

That being said, if you are a dish washer in a cheap place, for heavens sake dont MOVE TO a place like NYC. I see a lot of stories about Carl Clueless moving straight to NYC after graduating college and making 35K a year to start.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:29 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
When I talk about the "rest of the world" , I'm talking about the realities of the working world in America...., not Europe etc.

Everyone else, apart from government workers and union members have to get ahead in life on their own merit and their own hard work.

Why should someone who makes minimum wage get an arbitrary raise, whether they deserve it or not, when someone who worked his way up from minimum wage and makes maybe $16.00 an hour after years of putting his time and effort not only gets diddly squat but actually gets a pay cut in his buying power?

As usual, the Progressives trying to make life "fair" for some people necessitates screwing someone else.
Because taxpayers subsidize walmart et al profits via food stamps, fuel assistance, etc. otherwise no one could work there and crime rates would skyrocket.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
$17.50/hr (of its for 40 he's/week) still is poverty wages here, that would be $35k/yr, which would be about $27k/yr take home, leaving you only $2,250/month net pay. You would spend 40% of that in rent on the median one bedroom apartment.
Sadly so many of us don't realize this is the case. And Phoenix isn't really that taxed. Arizona State taxes are fairly low unless you talk sales taxes.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:34 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
That being said, if you are a dish washer in a cheap place, for heavens sake dont MOVE TO a place like NYC. I see a lot of stories about Carl Clueless moving straight to NYC after graduating college and making 35K a year to start.

common sense

Old 07-03-2017, 01:39 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
That's nice except it doesn't reflect reality. If you are a low wage worker moving is very difficult, you don't usually get your apartment deposit back the same day you move out so in order to rent a new place you would have had to save for deposit and first months rent. Moving trucks aren't cheap by any means and throwing everything you own away and starting over isn't feasible because it could take years for a low wage worker to be able to acquire household goods again.

So, your suggestion makes about as much sense as the "you wouldn't be poor if you had planned better" meme

Old 07-03-2017, 01:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Maybe we can all just go back to the old system of "barter" and dispense with currency all together.

i.e.:
If so, (I have a few Chickens, Hen's for that matter, and they lay egg's, x # per day, ... what can you offer for the Hen's inclusive of consideration for the future eggs they may lay?)
No thanks, Jenny across the street, had a rooster get in the hen house, and we traded some fresh corn for some chicks, a few years ago. I'm good on chickens.

I need a good young tested Bull, though. Mines getting old. Got a few firearms to trade.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This makes no sense. The world economy has moved past little things like Mom and Pop stores, markets and farms. We make BIG things now. In the aeronautics industry, they make airplanes. I could not do that myself. And if EVERYONE is self employed, whom do I hire? The healthcare makes zillions of diagnostic gadgets along with giant software systems to support them and to provide medical records and billing. I can't do either one of those myself. But if everyone is self employed, whom am I going to hire? The list goes on and on.

It has long been known that the ascendancy of human over other animals has more to do with our collaboration (and the domesticity and mutually beneficial relationship with dogs) than it does with our thumbs.

So, everything is based upon your feelings?

I'm self employed and find other self employed people, to partner up with, to accomplish great things and new ideas.
I tell them what I need from them on each individual project or task and they let me know what it is going to cost me and what they will and will not be doing of what is asked, or have a different angle at accomplishing the same task.

People ask the same of me.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Why are you talking to me, I make the hourly equivalent of $26/hr (paid by the load)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies