Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 01:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

That's what you get when you don't vote. At some point, this comes down to personal responsibility. Many people that these laws affect don't vote and hence the Republican legislature fears nothing from passing these laws. I've witnessed similar things in Arizona. The Hispanic community doesn't vote here thus politicians fear nothing from passing or trying to pass laws that discriminate against them.

It comes down to personal responsibility. This is what you get when you don't vote. And stop blaming voter suppression laws. There are plenty of states that offer voting through mail in ballots so that you don't have to go to a poll and wait in line to vote. People are just lazy.

On the contrary, a lot of Republicans won't approve of this repeal of Obamacare because they fear the backlash from their own constituents. They know the people that the repeal will affect will let them have it in the next election. Voting makes a difference. Start voting and you will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's what you get when you don't vote. At some point, we have to call a spade a spade. Many people that these laws affect don't vote and hence the Republican legislature fears nothing from passing these laws. I've witnessed similar things in Arizona. The Hispanic community doesn't vote here thus politicians fear nothing from passing or trying to pass laws that discriminate against them.

It comes down to personal responsibility. This is what you get when you don't vote. And stop blaming voter suppression laws. There are plenty of states that offer voting through mail in ballots so that you don't have to go to a poll and wait in line to vote. People are just lazy.
Yeah, I remember earlier this year when the (Anti-Worker) Chamber of Commerce tried to get the State House to nullify Prop 206, but fortunately, the State Supreme Court upheld it

Old 07-03-2017, 01:49 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Inflated minum wagesare costing worker in Seatle about 125.00 bucks a week with less hours. So much trying to prop up a failed concept that employers do not support!

Last edited by GHOSTRIDER AZ; 07-03-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 02:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
If you are asking to be paid more than you are worth to them, you will not be working very much.

It is a balance.
There is a breaking point.

If price is higher, there better be better service and quality. Or you are going to go out of business quick.

When I was young, I worked on low price and service... quality went out the window. Then as I got more experience and skills, I went to low price and quality, my ability to service everyone quickly was no longer existent. I was booked & backlogged for months on end, and I made less money, per hour worked in the long run.

Now, as I'm really wise, knowledgeable and have insane hand skills and abilities, I provide the highest quality at the highest prices around.

I do not work everyday, maybe not every week. But when I do work, I end up making what I always have in a year....
Work smarter, not harder.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:32 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yeah except for the largest employer in the US...Walmart. Limit the ratio and either CEO pay would go down or the pay of low wage workers would go up and that would spill over to non corporate workers too.
Walmart already pays higher than federal minimum wage.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Walmart already pays higher than federal minimum wage.
where did I say they didn't? What I said is that if you capped the ratio of CEO pay to worker pay, either CEO pay would drop or workers wages would go up.

"The compensation that CEOs at America's largest firms received in 2015—$15.5 million—was only 276 times the average worker's salary for that year, according to a report by Lawrence Mishel and Jessica Schieder of the Economic Policy Institute. We say "only" because the ratio was an even loftier 303 in 2014, but according to the report, last year's decline does not indicate a broader trend towards more equitable compensation practices. The gap between typical workers' earnings and those of their C-suite colleagues has ballooned in recent decades. A large company's CEO might earn 20 times more than the average employee in 1965. The multiple crept up during the 1970s and 1980s, reaching 112 in 1993. Then it more than tripled in under a decade, hitting a record 376 in 2000."

^ That is nuts, especially when you consider that average workers' earnings rose an inflation adjusted 10.3%
in the same period that CEO pay increased by 940.9%

Old 07-03-2017, 02:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Honestly probably a good thing overall, but...ouch for the workers whose pay will likely be abruptly slashed ASAP. :/

Old 07-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not that easy. Sometimes the free babysitter is grandma who aint going anywhere.
Moving is not cheap.

That being said, if you are a dish washer in a cheap place, for heavens sake dont MOVE TO a place like NYC. I see a lot of stories about Carl Clueless moving straight to NYC after graduating college and making 35K a year to start.
Who said life is supposed to be easy or fair?

Back in 1995 I was living in a high tax, low wage state.

I had developed a skill but it didn't pay well because of where I lived.

Still, I lived within my means ( splitting rent with a roomate, no kids and driving a beater car...no cell phone bills back then etc) until I was able to save enough to move to another state with lower taxes and a better economy.

By 1999 I had doubled what I made per hour in my original state and bought my first house.

Now, almost 20 years later, I have risen to a middle management position in the same field, have my second house half paid for and I have a few modest luxury items.

All with no degree and never taking a handout from the government.

And if a dumb ex stoner like me can do it.....guess what?

It ain't really that hard.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's nice except it doesn't reflect reality. If you are a low wage worker moving is very difficult, you don't usually get your apartment deposit back the same day you move out so in order to rent a new place you would have had to save for deposit and first months rent. Moving trucks aren't cheap by any means and throwing everything you own away and starting over isn't feasible because it could take years for a low wage worker to be able to acquire household goods again.

So, your suggestion makes about as much sense as the "you wouldn't be poor if you had planned better" meme
Again....

See post above.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why are you talking to me, I make the hourly equivalent of $26/hr (paid by the load)
Responded to your post.

Doesn't mean my comments are directed at you and your life situation specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies