Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 02:38 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

Looks like San Francisco, Seattle and San Jose children are born to parents with six-figure household incomes.

These figures are for kids with American born parents.

While, 18 American cities have the median family income under $50,000 when the children are born.

Median family income among households with children by family nativity | KIDS COUNT Data Center

The median household that has a kid in Detroit makes $20,000

Cleveland $23,000, Memphis $29,000, Milwaukee $33,000

On the other side of the coin...

San Francisco $155,000, Seattle $124,000, San Jose $112,000, Austin $81,000, San Diego $79,000

Yup, in 2017 a household making $30,000 can afford to raise kids without government welfare money. I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 02:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Well they get sizable, sometimes massive, tax credits for kids well beyond what they paid in taxes to begin with, *especially* those making < 30k. So in a sense that is government assistance.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Well they get sizable, sometimes massive, tax credits for kids well beyond what they paid in taxes to begin with, *especially* those making < 30k. So in a sense that is government assistance. You also have the earned income credit, etc

Old 07-01-2017, 03:39 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Its called .... growing a underclass. Merely high school or less educated and kids having kids with low hire-ability or nor the required work ethic and conforming. Competition is all want the best workers and skills needed.

Yet we will cut these new children's funding for education they won't get at home, Not yet as a nation require more then high school as public education additional 2-years for job entry skills corporate America claims they lack? We evolved to a 2-income needed society that once children come becomes far less likely. Extended family to help are the lucky ones.

The need of a car is a expense today just to get to a job in small town to big city America. So SOCIAL PROGRAMS supplement low wages to welfare.

If too much cutting of social programs come? I'm afraid unrest especially in our cities will not have us worry about infiltrations from enemies abroad? We can blame moral decay all we want? But blame won't help today.

I'm not sure if the tread is asking if these stats are real, if one can afford to raise children on these incomes, or who is to blame so the thread goes to POLITICAL PARTY BASHING this forum does well?

But we can agree they won't have
- adequate insurance for their kids but the emergency room or states as mine that provide insurance for children
- will probably gain most of any skills from cooking (in schools with it yet) trade and construction skills
- sex education
- how to balance a checking, manage and build credit, and live within ones income (again if not in school they might never gain this)

Education is key for their children. The parents ...... if in they are in a hire and fire malaise many fall prey to in the competitive job market ALL want the best employees? They will remain a underclass.
ADD our current drug abuse explosion and POLITICAL MALAISE we are in ....

My old hometown and others like it as small depressed small cities? I see kids having kids every time I go to town walking with strollers. It reasons many of their children will not gain many good skills from their parents.

Hopefully the schools can succeed in what they do not get at home? In our current political climate ..... it is doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies