Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:47 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB0KIHkOr54

The NCAA is a joke.

They make mountains of money off of kids who risk their health playing...and then a kid makes a YouTube channel that gets a little revenue from ads and they threaten to take away his amateur status so he can't play anymore.

At many schools football is the only or one of only 2 or 3 programs that runs a net positive profit. It is okay for the NCAA, colleges, TV networks, etc to make money, but not this kid a few pennies?

He is even a marketing major, but if he uses what he learned in the classroom on YouTube...he jeopardizes his NCAA football career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,557 posts, read 16,548,014 times
while I agree with you in principle. The reality is that FBS Power 5 and even Group of 5 football players are not broke.

College tuition,books, Meal Plan, and Rooms are all paid for.

What is left to pay for is maybe a cell phone if their own parents didnt provide one. As I mentioned in a previous thread on this, the College Aid packet for most of these schools tell the kids to sign up for food stamps if they believe they will need more than the meal plan provides.

That same aid packet also has institutional scholarships that everyone player qualifies for, as well as a pell grant, and as an athlete, they get a stipend(2000 in the AAC, which UCF belongs to).

So yes, should this kid be able to monetize his youtube channel, 100% yes. that NCAA rule is stupid on multiple levels.

but is he broke(which is the underlying argument in all of these discussions), no.

He likely will get 5,000 to 10,000 at the start of the semester that he never has to pay back

Old 07-02-2017, 07:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I just can't understand why member schools don't just dump the damn NCAA. They don't need it whatsoever. They can establish their own independent governing body.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
while I agree with you in principle. The reality is that FBS Power 5 and even Group of 5 football players are not broke.

What is left to pay for is maybe a cell phone if their own parents didnt provide one. As I mentioned in a previous thread on this, the College Aid packet for most of these schools tell the kids to sign up for food stamps if they believe they will need more than the meal plan provides.

That same aid packet also has institutional scholarships that everyone player qualifies for, as well as a pell grant, and as an athlete, they get a stipend(2000 in the AAC, which UCF belongs to).

So yes, should this kid be able to monetize his youtube channel, 100% yes. that NCAA rule is stupid on multiple levels.

but is he broke(which is the underlying argument in all of these discussions), no.

He likely will get 5,000 to 10,000 at the start of the semester that he never has to pay back
They're broke. Very broke. This from Walter Byers, the founder of the NCAA system:

Quote:
Lets see what the NCAA's first Executive Director says about the NCAA. Then ask yourself where are the civil rights leaders like Sharpton and Jackson?

"The NCAA rule book is not the United States Constitution.

If anything, the rule book supporting the bogus concept of “amateur athletics” is akin to the laws that supported Jim Crow, denied women suffrage and upheld slavery.

Who should investigative reporters be going after? The agentsThe coachesThe playersThe schoolsThe NCAA
The architect of the modern NCAA, the organization’s former president, Walter Byers, spelled out all of this in his 1997 mea culpa, “Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Exploiting the Student-Athlete.”

Byers wrote: “Today the NCAA Presidents Commission is preoccupied with tightening a few loose bolts in a worn machine, firmly committed to the neo-plantation belief that the enormous proceeds from college games belong to the overseers (administrators) and supervisors (coaches). The plantation workers performing in the arena may only receive those benefits authorized by the overseers.”

Byers was not and is not a Jesse Jackson sympathizer. Byers is a white, right-wing conservative from Kansas. He was the NCAA’s first president (1951-1988) and sole visionary. He admitted creating a monster. His NCAA memoir was his repentance and call for a fundamental overhaul of a corrupt organization."

Old 07-02-2017, 07:13 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:

Non-tuition fees are also not covered, which has been a growing part of the bill at many schools.
Health insurance is not covered either, but mandatory at most schools. Obviously travel is not covered too (though most schools now have "winter break" dorms for athletes so they no longer have to travel home for Christmas).

The stipends are a new thing that just started last season and will likely cover some of these problems. Still, it is surprisingly easy to be broke as an athlete, particularly if you are not full ride (I was a wrestler), but even if you are.

(Also, some states, like Iowa, have barred scholarship athletes from receiving food stamps or subsidized housing precisely because so many athletes were signing up for those benefits.)

Old 07-02-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Non-tuition fees are also not covered, which has been a growing part of the bill at many schools.
Health insurance is not covered either, but mandatory at most schools. Obviously travel is not covered too (though most schools now have "winter break" dorms for athletes so they no longer have to travel home for Christmas).

The stipends are a new thing that just started last season and will likely cover some of these problems. Still, it is surprisingly easy to be broke as an athlete, particularly if you are not full ride (I was a wrestler), but even if you are.

(Also, some states, like Iowa, have barred scholarship athletes from receiving food stamps or subsidized housing precisely because so many athletes were signing up for those benefits.)
i dont have time to go deep in detail, so i will hit the high points.

fees are covered if they are required for the class.

health insurance is included for athletes.

Stpends arent new, they have been renamed and regulated by the conferences. They used to be called "need based scholarships"

Old 07-02-2017, 08:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

Where are you coming up with this part of your post? It was only in 2015 that the NCAA allowed the larger conferences to give their players an additional stipend of $2K - $4K.

These kids can't have jobs - football is their job. Many come from poor families or a household with a single parent, and there's no extra money to send them for any kind of socializing. The universities make millions off the backs of these kids, most of whom won't go on to the NFL, and many of whom will have physical problems down the road.

I see the need for the NCAA on the one hand, but their role should be changed. And this youtube thing is utterly ridiculous. The violations of selling game pants on eBay? Ridiculous.

These young people aren't being adequately compensated for all they bring to their schools, and then they're being punished for stupid *violations*. It's wrong on every level.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where are you coming up with this part of your post? It was only in 2015 that the NCAA allowed the larger conferences to give their players an additional stipend of $2K - $4K.

These kids can't have jobs - football is their job. Many come from poor families or a household with a single parent, and there's no extra money to send them for any kind of socializing. The universities make millions off the backs of these kids, most of whom won't go on to the NFL, and many of whom will have physical problems down the road.

I see the need for the NCAA on the one hand, but their role should be changed. And this youtube thing is utterly ridiculous. The violations of selling game pants on eBay? Ridiculous.

These young people aren't being adequately compensated for all they bring to their schools, and then they're being punished for stupid *violations*. It's wrong on every level.
I already responded to this, the individual schools have been giving player stipends for decades, they simply called them need based scholarships.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:02 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
The NCAA Is run by a bunch of OLD, TECHNOLOGICALLY INDEPT CLOWNS....what else can you expect from people who grew up in an era of no widely available internet.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
I already responded to this, the individual schools have been giving player stipends for decades, they simply called them need based scholarships.
You know a stipend is money they've decided to give out for personal expenses, right? That's what I'm talking about. A scholarship isn't a stipend.

Last edited by MPowering1; 07-02-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies