Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:05 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Also, Europe was much safer than it is today, and did not have the problems with Islamist terror. A few countries had problems with local terror groups like the IRA, ETA, Red Brigades, etc. but those groups' agendas were local. Western Europe was freer than today, as well.
Yeah, you're right.

Even though the Good Friday Agreement was signed in 1998, the IRA (re provisional groups) wasn't really fully decommissioned until mid-late 2005. In 2000, we were driving from Belfast to Dublin, and a bomb landed and exploded not too far from the road we were driving on....everything shook....but as you mention, that was a local issue. Even during the first couple of years after 9/11, I never felt unsafe on the continent. One household in my family...they took a long vacation in 2005. They were in London at this time in 2005 (12th anniversary of 7/7 is this week). The dad happened to be away from the rest of the family taking care of a particular matter (with the rest of the family ensconced at their hotel) when the bombings occurred. Over the holidays that year, they recounted that day, and the fear was still lingering in each of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 12:11 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
We didn't have TPA in the 80's, people were dropping dead from strokes. Women were dropping like flies from cancer too. My parents lost several friends who were pushing fifty. Not that we shouldn't do something about obesity, but I don't see the 80's as being that great.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
A bombing in the middle of the night targeting an empty building is not the same as the indiscriminate slaughter of young teens or tourists. The IRA and ETA were restrained by public opinion. Terrorists today hold the Jay Gould like view of "the public be damned" and hold no opinions important other than that of Allah (or, more accurately, what they think Allah's opinion is)
I was not referring to IRA, although they contributed to it. Hijackings were taking place all the time, and bombs were going off all around the world. It was far more widespread than post 9/11.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL. Terrorism was a far bigger issue in the 1970s than it is today. The 70s was referred to as the "golden age of terrorism". Google it. There were hundreds of bombings, hijackings etc. The difference is that today out politicians exaggerate it and actively use it to further their political agenda, with their promises to keep us safe. As a result people shiver in fear of terrorists, and can't stop talking about it.
I did a 'golden age of terrorism' search, and 11 of the first 12 hits refer to 'the golden age of terrorism in the 1970s....and they refer to the CNN program with that in the title....with each hit revealing that the program dealt with the 1970s being 'the golden age of terrorism' INSIDE the United States. My reference was to OUTSIDE the U.S., as was majoun's reply to my post.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know about people being more friendly but they certainly were not self absorbed with their phones. Phones in the 80's were still tethered to walls unless you wanted one of those bricks to carry around.

Another thing is the internet wasn't as big as it is today. People waste so much time on their computers that they have less time to get out and enjoy the day and get some exercise.

Food was also not packed with sugar and salt, hormones and other chemicals like it is today.
I was at a mall near Orlando one day in 2014. Pay phone kiosks were still there....but I don't know if they were still connected....I didn't have any loose change .

Old 07-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
With Starbucks, depending on where you are, there's roughly 3 within every 5 mile radius, and in big cities they're more like 20 within every 5 miles. Why Starbucks is relevant on this topic is because all Starbucks really is, is a little water, a little coffee, and a little tea, but most of all, loads and loads of sugar, cholesterol (milk) and high fructose corn syrup. And the lines are out the door 7 days a week.
It depends on what you end up buying.

Over the years, I've been to stand alone Starbucks in 48 different states....probably 2,000 or more of them (I believe there are still only seven cities in the world that have more Starbucks than Houston does). I hardly ever get anything other than regular coffee with a slight bit of milk and Splenda, Iced Passion Tango Herbal Tea with Splenda, a spinach feta wrap, or a bagel (over the course of my visits....not with each visit).

Old 07-03-2017, 01:04 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I did a 'golden age of terrorism' search, and 11 of the first 12 hits refer to 'the golden age of terrorism in the 1970s....and they refer to the CNN program with that in the title....with each hit revealing that the program dealt with the 1970s being 'the golden age of terrorism' INSIDE the United States. My reference was to OUTSIDE the U.S., as was majoun's reply to my post.
It was all over the world. Google is your friend. Use it. Plane hijackings, bombings, assassinations, kidnappings, you name it.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:10 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was all over the world. Google is your friend. Use it. Plane hijackings, bombings, assassinations, kidnappings, you name it.
Let's not forget, though, that the reason the 9/11 hijackers were successful was because the 70s and 80s hijackings were numerous but also benign.

"Don't resist, go along with them, and everyone will be okay."

That worked in the 70s and 80s, and that thinking was the only reason guys with boxcutters were successful on 9/11.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM

27,155 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
A bombing in the middle of the night targeting an empty building is not the same as the indiscriminate slaughter of young teens or tourists. The IRA and ETA were restrained by public opinion. Terrorists today hold the Jay Gould like view of "the public be damned" and hold no opinions important other than that of Allah (or, more accurately, what they think Allah's opinion is)
Not sure about the IRA being restrained, they committed some awful atrocities, to name but a few, Bloody Friday in Belfast, the Birmingham and Guildford Pub Bombings, M62 Coach Bombing, Hyde Park and Regents Park Bombings, Enniskillen, Warrington, Omagh etc. Many of these bombs killed innocent young people and children or were morally repugnant and there were hundreds of other such incidents.

Then again the IRA killed more Catholics than anyone else, including anyone they thought was an informer and ruled their community through fear with knee cappings and punishment beatings being common place, indeed many Catholics detested the IRA and it's many factions more than even the protestants did.

The Loyalists groups such as the UDA, UFF, UVF, LVF etc also killed a ot of people although they tended to use guns rather than bombs.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-03-2017 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 PM

19,615 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What is it that's making <30 males sissy boys?
They are hardly allowed to act like boys. Part of what raises testosterone levels is competition, scrapping in the schoolyard, competitive athletics, pretend fighting with toy weapons, etc. and left to themselves boys start acting like boys at very young ages. They are not allowed anymore. So they are more like girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies