Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:45 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times

Advertisements

I love dogs. I have been a foster for dozens and an owner of more than half dozen dogs in my lifetime. Americans think boiling Lobsters alive and raising cattle, pigs, and chickens for food is fine.

Eating a dog is not my culture. Eating dogs and cats is barbaric. But is it so different than eating cattle, pigs, and chickens? I do that at least three times a week.

I wish I could be a vegetarian.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When will it be time for Americans and others to stop attempting to force their beliefs and culture on others?

If you do not like the culture/traditions don't read about it, look at photos, eat it or visit, problem solved.

It hard to avoid when you go to a hospital and they are the ones treating you.

They shouldn't bring their values here.

China is known for the herbs and yoga yet they have the filthiest cities in the world. I see them walking around the US wearing masks.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
NO, I believe Dog-meat is very delicious and nutritious.

Just because some nations and their peoples worships and humanize dogs, does not mean that same attitude applies to the rest of the world.

I would gladly dine on horse or dog.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Im a dog lover and it breaks my heart to see dogs forced into cramped cages, bludgeoned to death and then eaten.

Dogs sold for meat at market - Photos - Heartbreaking images of China's Yulin dog meat festival amid worldwide protests - NY Daily News
Should people in India pressure Americans to stop eating beef?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Im a dog lover and it breaks my heart to see dogs forced into cramped cages, bludgeoned to death and then eaten.

Dogs sold for meat at market - Photos - Heartbreaking images of China's Yulin dog meat festival amid worldwide protests - NY Daily News
As a dog owner, I never understood the East Asians who eat them. I do not support it at all

Old 07-03-2017, 06:11 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Obviously China is under pressure to end the practice, mostly by animal rights groups in China and abroad. If it were up to me the death penalty would be applied to dog eaters but its their country they can do what they want. We have our own problems to worry about.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
China has a long history of disrespecting animals whether it be dogs or killing rhinos and elephants for their ivory. I am a dog lover but I am even more concerned with their efforts to drive wildlife to extinction in Africa. They are not pro-environment to say the least.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:19 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
No. Stay out of their culture.
You don't think China is critical of American culture?

Personally, I think its terrible to eat Man's best friend.

But, I understand the cultural and intellectual arguments both pro and con, and I understand the retorts that our livestock industry could surely undergo some changes.

What upsets me, however, is some of the Chinese ideas about ingesting/consuming different animals.

For years the Chinese have supported poaching of endangered animals in OTHER nations. Moronic Chinese cultural beliefs that tiger penis and rhino horn can increase human male virility and sexual prowess has driven several species to the brink of extinction.

Moreover, the treatment of animals by the Chinese is horrific even when compared to our own shortcomings in terms of animal husbandry:

- Bears kept in small cages as bile is harvested from their gallbladders for useless Chinese medicines, or bears caught in the wild that have their gallbladders harvested and all four paws cut off and then left to die...

- Sharks harvested from the ocean, de-finned and then dumped back in the ocean to die... Because Chinese people love to eat foods deemed rare and expensive...

And what about dogs?

Do you know that the Chinese believe that in order for the dog meat to be delicious, the dog must be tortured before and while being butchered? The belief is that the horror and pain suffered by the dog causes the release of chemicals into the blood that makes the meat taste delicious!

That's just horrible.

I support any plan to shame the Chinese into discontinuing this barbaric practice.

Why not? We (the world) has done so with regard to whaling.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:22 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Should people in India pressure Americans to stop eating beef?
I have to disagree, here.

I would welcome Indian pressure to treat our cows better. More humanely.

But, I would not accept pressure to stop eating beef.

Heck, while personally I think eating dogs is horrible, I could accept the Chinese practice if they would just stop torturing the dogs before and while butchering them.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:24 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
I signed the change.org petition against the festival, they showed a photo of a bunch of dogs bundled with chicken wire, they believe that the more the dogs are tortured and suffer the better the meat will be.

Animals in the US are slaughtered as humanely as possible.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies