Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:21 PM

1,323 posts, read 591,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
You don't think China is critical of American culture?

Personally, I think its terrible to eat Man's best friend.

But, I understand the cultural and intellectual arguments both pro and con, and I understand the retorts that our livestock industry could surely undergo some changes.

What upsets me, however, is some of the Chinese ideas about ingesting/consuming different animals.

For years the Chinese have supported poaching of endangered animals in OTHER nations. Moronic Chinese cultural beliefs that tiger penis and rhino horn can increase human male virility and sexual prowess has driven several species to the brink of extinction.

Moreover, the treatment of animals by the Chinese is horrific even when compared to our own shortcomings in terms of animal husbandry:

- Bears kept in small cages as bile is harvested from their gallbladders for useless Chinese medicines, or bears caught in the wild that have their gallbladders harvested and all four paws cut off and then left to die...

- Sharks harvested from the ocean, de-finned and then dumped back in the ocean to die... Because Chinese people love to eat foods deemed rare and expensive...

And what about dogs?

Do you know that the Chinese believe that in order for the dog meat to be delicious, the dog must be tortured before and while being butchered? The belief is that the horror and pain suffered by the dog causes the release of chemicals into the blood that makes the meat taste delicious!

That's just horrible.

I support any plan to shame the Chinese into discontinuing this barbaric practice.

Why not? We (the world) has done so with regard to whaling.
I've long thought it'd be a good thing to bribe a few scientific journals to publish studies that show bear bile, shark fins, and rhino horns cause impotency and actually shrink male gentalia. And that clean air actually invigorates the organ. Then launch a massive marketing campaign across Asia. Solve two problems real quick.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:21 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,109,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
It hard to avoid when you go to a hospital and they are the ones treating you.
You *do* have the option of requesting another doctor. Personally I refuse to interact with a Muslim doctor or nurse in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
They shouldn't bring their values here.
And we shouldn't take our values there.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,619,533 times
Quote:
I have to disagree, here.

I would welcome Indian pressure to treat our cows better. More humanely.

But, I would not accept pressure to stop eating beef.

Heck, while personally I think eating dogs is horrible, I could accept the Chinese practice if they would just stop torturing the dogs before and while butchering them.
^^^ This. While I don't like it; I know we've got no room to talk. But deliberate torture is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I've long thought it'd be a good thing to bribe a few scientific journals to publish studies that show bear bile, shark fins, and rhino horns cause impotency and actually shrink male gentalia. And that clean air actually invigorates the organ. Then launch a massive marketing campaign across Asia. Solve two problems real quick.
HAHAHAHAHA!

Excellent idea!

Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,968,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can you be a little more hypocritical please? Do you take medicine? Do you not know all medicines come from animal testing. You love dogs? Do you know they selectively breed them? Do you know what that means? It means dogs that don't grow into the right kind go to the slaughterhouse.

Animal welfare law? What a joke. If we truly care about animals, we should self-extinguish. We kill more animals by encroaching their habitats.
So you're saying we should do nothing? Strong environmental laws can minimize habitat destruction, animal welfare laws minimizes animal abuses, expanding wildlife and habitat protections, etc. Democrats could do a lot more in that regard but under the useless repugs you know absolutely nothing will be done about it.

Breaking news: Obama signs measure to dramatically reduce animal testing · A Humane Nation

Will Trump and his useless repugs try to dismantle this one as well? Probably. I say we ship them all to China to be tortured and beaten see how they like it.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 PM

21,427 posts, read 7,504,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Are you a moron, or a troll? Just curious not making any assertions here.
I am sorry you took it that way.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:38 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,201,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Should China Be Pressured Into Ending The Dog Meat Festival
So you want to pressure another country to bend to our country's societal norms?

How receptive would you be to another country trying to pressure the United States into not eating cows, chickens, or pigs?

Old 07-03-2017, 07:41 PM

7,502 posts, read 6,309,338 times
They probably don't need an organized "Spay & Neuter" program.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 PM

29,543 posts, read 22,858,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
No. Stay out of their culture.
Exactly, their culture.

Americans eat things other culture's don't.

Why are dogs more important than pigs when they have almost equivalent intelligence?

You see, I can in theory criticize how other countries kill and eat animals, because I choose not to eat animals, period. I don't contribute to the suffering and torture of animals for food.

It's so hypocritical to see people on this forum and on the internet vilify and crucify an entire nationality for how they treat animals, when they themselves contribute to a meat industry that cruelly tortures and kills animals for their greedy palates and lust for steak, eggs, bacon, milk/dairy, fried chicken, etc.

Sure, go ahead and demonize those 'evil' Chinese for eating dogs. Boycott those 'evil' Japanese for killing whales and dolphins.

But, mock organizations like PETA and portray vegans as hippie idiots and freaks for exposing the brutal practices of the meat industry. Laugh at the suffering of cows and pigs and chickens because steak and eggs and bacon taste soooo good. There is no such thing as 'humane' butchering practices, dog or cow or chicken or pig.

Animal Cruelty Is the Price We Pay for Cheap Meat | Rolling Stone

https://veganrabbit.com/the-issues/t...-dairy-is-bad/

Quote:
Most people believe that dairy isn’t a bad thing because an animal doesn’t have to die in order for you to get it. But the truth is that an animal does have to die – in fact, many animals have to die – for the sake of that slice of cheese on your sandwich, or that milk in your cereal. If you really care about animal rights, the first things you must eliminate from your diet are eggs and dairy.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/20/d...T.nav=top-news

Secret Video Exposes High-Speed Torture in the Pork Industry - Mercy For Animals

Quote:
The disturbing undercover video shows animals covered in feces and suffering from pus-filled abscesses, pigs who are unable to walk being beaten and dragged across the floor, and numerous others being improperly stunned before they are dumped—potentially still conscious—into tanks of boiling water.
Quote:
Mercy For Animals has exposed rampant abuse throughout the pork industry, including pregnant pigs confined for months at a time in barren metal cages so small they are unable to turn around, piglets having their testicles ripped out by hand without any painkillers, and piglets routinely slammed headfirst into concrete floors.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 PM

26,867 posts, read 22,725,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly, their culture.

Americans eat things other culture's don't.

Why are dogs more important than pigs when they have almost equivalent intelligence?

You see, I can in theory criticize how other countries kill and eat animals, because I choose not to eat animals, period. I don't contribute to the suffering and torture of animals for food.

It's so hypocritical to see people on this forum and on the internet vilify and crucify an entire nationality for how they treat animals, when they themselves contribute to a meat industry that cruelly tortures and kills animals for their greedy palates and lust for steak, eggs, bacon, milk/dairy, fried chicken, etc.

Sure, go ahead and demonize those 'evil' Chinese for eating dogs. Boycott those 'evil' Japanese for killing whales and dolphins.

But, mock organizations like PETA and portray vegans as hippie idiots and freaks for exposing the brutal practices of the meat industry. Laugh at the suffering of cows and pigs and chickens because steak and eggs and bacon taste soooo good. There is no such thing as 'humane' butchering practices, dog or cow or chicken or pig.

Animal Cruelty Is the Price We Pay for Cheap Meat | Rolling Stone

https://veganrabbit.com/the-issues/t...-dairy-is-bad/

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/20/d...T.nav=top-news

Secret Video Exposes High-Speed Torture in the Pork Industry - Mercy For Animals
That's corporate America for ya. We'll use and abuse those Mexicans making them to work long hours for pennies, and what they do to animals in the process is none of our business. All that matters is the cheap labor, the volumes and our ever-increasing profits. This, and the "savings that we pass to our consumer" - that kind of thing.
I'm sure this kind of crap is not happening on smaller farms. And I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who'd love the have the farm life and to raise and treat animals the normal way. But they can't compete with corporations, now can they?

Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,795,639 times
Quote:

Do you know that the Chinese believe that in order for the dog meat to be delicious, the dog must be tortured before and while being butchered? The belief is that the horror and pain suffered by the dog causes the release of chemicals into the blood that makes the meat taste delicious!
When you say "Chinese blah blah" you'd better check the facts first.

I lived in China for over 20 years and never heard of such a theory, not to mention believe it. The first time I heard of it is several days ago from Fox News (a very reliable source huh?) Two activists with some agenda answered a "trap question" asked by Tucker Carlson. I hope you did not get your story from that ridiculous interview.

China is extremely diverse and often times people from 50 miles away speak totally different languages. Never over-generate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies