Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The obesity thing is out of control. I find most obese people are liberal. Same goes for bad hygiene.
The highest concentration of obesity in the the Red South! And they're not exactly bastions of Liberalism! Millions of Trump voters probably have higher BMI's than King Cheeto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 07:30 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The highest concentration of obesity in the the Red South! And they're not exactly bastions of Liberalism! Millions of Trump voters probably have higher BMI's than King Cheeto!
Come to Baltimore. Or any large city. Then marvel at the fat, smelly people that make up the Democrat voter base.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
That's queen Cheeto ... (w/pepsi - frito lay merger)

Pepsico CEO Indra Nooyi After Trump Election: How Dare We Talk About Women That Way

"Forget about the Pepsi brand. How dare we* talk about women that way," Nooyi said on Thursday morning, referring to comments Trump made on the campaign trail and in an Entertainment Tonight video roughly a decade ago that surfaced in October. "If we don't nip this in the bud it is going to be a lethal force in society," Nooyi added, in comments made at the New York Times Dealbook Conference in Manhattan.

vs

PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi Joins Trump’s Business Council

PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi has become only the third female executive to join a 19-person business forum created by President-elect Donald Trump as he prepares his economic agenda for the United States. <snip>
After Nooyi appeared at a post-election New York Times conference, online boycotts began to float around alleging she said she "loathed" Trump and "hated" his supporters. As those boycotts began to circulate on social media channels, a #BoycottPepsi hashtag circulated.
But as Fortune reported, Nooyi never made those comments. In fact, she congratulated Trump on the election, adding "We should mourn for those of us who supported the other side. But we have to come together and life has to go on."
______

Trump knows how to trim the fat ...

Trump Is Said to Seek Cutting Corporate Tax Rate to 15 Percent

and that is how politics deals with BMI. CEOs exercise their back peddling techniques as soon as they figure out which side their bread is buttered on and they can take home a fat wade of cash ...

Just one time in my life I'd like to see some one, not drink the Koolaid before I die, just once.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:29 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
One thing that always bugs me is this idea of "what has your generation done". People also say "what has your race done" or "what has your gender done".

These are sad attempts by losers who have no accomplishments in their own life and thus use their group affiliation to claim responsibility for those results.

For example...you'll hear the old people who says "my generation was the best"...but the person who said it was an alcoholic with little intellectual or physical competencies. They use the group accomplishment because they themselves are a failure

So....STAND ON YOUR OWN ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

As for me, I'm a successful entrepreneur and person who is doing cutting edge work in the AI space to automate people out of their jobs

Wow, thanks for putting the working class out of jobs. And this is exactly why we need unions.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I was alive for 25 years, but I wish I could've grown up in another decade, even if it was only 5-6 years before I was actually born it may have been better. Please don't tell me that I am only feeling nostalgia or having rose-colored glasses. It's very frustrating and painful to watch society go downhill in 2017. It's very painful and frustrating to see people in society being more unfit and unhealthy than they were in 1980s (referencing another posted thread). I don't feel like I can escape these problems of society. I would even say it's collectively unfair to my own generation, the only generation who will be worse off than their parents.

I for one wish we can be healthy and exercise, and be a fit society again, without having to resort to quick fixes or fancy technology about it. It's making effort obsolete and turning society into lazy people. Back in the 80s there was still smoking, but at least people back then spoke up against it. People are too afraid to speak up against anything today, including obesity. I think the only option left is collective rebellion against the rest of society. I hate not being able to speak my mind without someone else being offended. I hate those who preach about those who complain about PC are devils. And I mean hate. Why can't anybody say they HATE them/it? Somebody has to, and it's about time.

The other funny thing about the above is that those (mostly liberals) say they want the government to intervene in our decisions to help curb away this epidemic. Yet, they aren't saying anything about shaming obesity and are instead acting the opposite.

Having the speech police monitor whatever you say or think about any group (unhealthy/obese, homosexual, etc.) is worse than actual discrimination.

Sometimes, it makes me not want to grow up anymore than I have. What's the point of enjoying it when society is going into decline or collapse?
I think stress is the biggest killer. I am 71 and you know who seems to be dying first? The skinny people.

The economy is one of the reasons your parents will probably live longer than you will. The cost and availability of healthcare is another factor. Insurance companies should not be telling doctors which tests they are allowed to give the patients.

Safety is another factor. People would get out and exercise more if they didn't get kidnapped on the hiking trails. Children didn't used to have to have a parent within arms length all the time. Neighborhoods were more safe.

It used to be safe to go to a movie or a social gathering and not worry that someone may kill them.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:59 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
The dude is 5 years younger than me and he's calling it how he sees it.

I go to bars/clubs or even notice it out in public. I predict 20-30 year Olds will be humpbacked by 40.
Head down buried in a phone only to break to take a selfie...

Talk with a woman in a bar one of their first questions are do you have snapchat/Instagram? Uh... no... why? Because I have more pictures of me there... uh I'm looking at you here and now... Is snapchat/Instagram your modeling agency?

I was raised old school. You didn't cut up in a store or use a dining booth in a restaraunt as a jungle gym. You paid dearly for it. Belt, backhand, or cat and 9 tails. You look at how kids are today. Running, screaming, temper tantrums, and get away with it too...

Wonder why child obesity is high? How many parents these days are actually parents? Kid is hyper and rambunctious being a kid, fragile snowflake mom and dad can't be bothered with it. Put the kid on Ritalin for ADD, shove a video game console and TV in front of them to keep them preoccupied. I don't care if it was back in NY or down here in Florida. I don't see any kids outside climbing trees, building forts, etc. See basketball courts with kids sitting head tilted down looking at a phone.
It's sad, and if you don't like it, you're an evil person. How often do you see fathers building tree houses for their kids? Or riding bikes and building jumps for them? Without them present at that? You dont.

That's not a red vs blue state thing.

That and kids are today more fragile than ever. Like they're built of glass. But that's what you get with overbearing and micromanaging parents who need to watch every move the kid makes. God forbid they fall off a bicycle. Oh no... a scraped knee and it's a rush to the emergency room, chicken little world is ending little Johnny scraped his knee! I recall only getting up hiss and go get a bandaid on my own limp it off unless it was really bad then mom was out with peroxide or rubbing alcohol and gauze.

The OP gets it. Younger generations are getting lazier and lazier. In every aspect at that.

I'm probably 1 of a minority of millenials that can use my two hands to build something, think outside of programmed thought. For others, If a small bump in the road or something doesn't go exactly according to plan it's a crisis.

For example was on a buddies boat once, he forgot to snug the drain caps down before launching. Soon as the boat started taking on water he freaked out and bailed. I took off wide open throttle to keep the boat from sinking and shouted for him to get the truck and trailer back down to the launch. Idiot would have let his boat sink... vehicle doesn't run properly or makes a strange noise, take it to the shop, can't be bothered with it or trade it in. Drive in snow, soon as the vehicle begins to lose control its slam on the brakes and scream in hysterics. Better to be able to text and drive than to have the ability to make corrective maneuvers. No wonder the obsession with automated vehicles... relinquish responsibility and have the car drive itself. God forbid you are interrupted mid text or inconvenienced...

Pure throw away mentality. Even applicable to people too...

There's no middle ground with dating it's one extreme or another. You're either hooking up (sleeping around) risking health and having a kid, or be expected to move in together after a couple months then get married inside of a year or two.
Wonder why divorce rates are so high? Rush into relationships like they do. I have many friends and cousins going through divorces 5-7 years after being married.
Both extremes are a race to the bottom. No sense in fixing problems either. Just file for divorce cry foul, and viola off to greener pastures so you hope.
That's not a man vs woman thing. Both are equally guilty.

I hear it alot... for someone who's 29 you sound like your 50/60.
Why because I pay attention and will not participate in a backasswards culture that's deemed normal that others try to justify?

Others give the OP a hard time. When really you're not demonizing him. You're proving his point for him. Shame on you for fat shaming... uh... it's not simply because it's not attractive... you don't know if the guy had someone who was glutton in his family or circle of friends who is an insulin dependent diabetic because they can't say no to the all you can eat buffet or little debbie who's suffering vision loss, neuropathy and other ailments associated to that disease.
You don't know if OP had someone close to him suffer from respiratory and circulatory issues because they can't eat proper and exercise.

So quick to judge and demonize the guy and try to shame him for his view, to justify yours to preach acceptance. You're okay with an unhealthy unfit society fine. He's not. Neither am I. You seek to enable and coddle with that outlook. Make excuses and preach acceptance and his view is vile? Bwahahaha!

Watch the old movie Demolition man or pay close attention to that kids movie WallE that's where society is headed... ask yourself. Do you want to live like that? That's not living...

Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

I go to bars/clubs or even notice it out in public. I predict 20-30 year Olds will be humpbacked by 40.

So quick to judge and demonize the guy and try to shame him for his view, to justify yours to preach acceptance. You're okay with an unhealthy unfit society fine. He's not. Neither am I. You seek to enable and coddle with that outlook. Make excuses and preach acceptance and his view is vile? Bwahahaha!

Watch the old movie Demolition man or pay close attention to that kids movie WallE that's where society is headed... ask yourself. Do you want to live like that? That's not living...
People can be convinced that anything is good. Most would probably keep taking a blue pill even if they knew they were not living in reality. Like being a drug addict.

They will all have early jowls and neck problems. But plastic surgery might get easier and cheaper, problem solved.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:31 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
People can be convinced that anything is good. Most would probably keep taking a blue pill even if they knew they were not living in reality. Like being a drug addict.

They will all have early jowls and neck problems. But plastic surgery might get easier and cheaper, problem solved.

Sad isn't it...

Don't call me fat that's mean! Don't shame me for sleeping around, that's mean! You're just jealous because you aren't getting any!

Because unwanted pregnancies, herpes, the clap, and aids are something to be REAL jealous of...

I'm not saying one needs to be able to run 5 miles per day, or be as pure as the driven snow... I'm saying no moderation exists anymore, and the constant need to double down on the dumb and justify it by preaching acceptance really is getting old and tiring to see... Along with pure laziness.

Dope is another thing.

Want to smoke pot I don't care, want to snort coke, I don't care, shoot heroin, I don't care. Drop acid/mollys/pills/roll your face off. I don't care.

Don't expect any sympathy when you've gone to the poor house to support your bad habits, or expect me to pay more in insurance to help your deteriorated health and diseases you've picked up from those decisions.

Addiction isn't a disease-you made a clear and conscious decision to ingest those substances out of weakness. You becoming addicted to it is on you.
Cancer is a disease. Polio is a disease.

The whole outlook on addiction being a disease is one of coddling and enabling. Excuse bad behavior/decisions, they have a disease... no. It's not.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

Talk with a woman in a bar one of their first questions are do you have snapchat/Instagram? Uh... no... why? Because I have more pictures of me there... uh I'm looking at you here and now... Is snapchat/Instagram your modeling agency?

I was raised old school. You didn't cut up in a store or use a dining booth in a restaraunt as a jungle gym. You paid dearly for it. Belt, backhand, or cat and 9 tails. You look at how kids are today. Running, screaming, temper tantrums, and get away with it too...

Wonder why child obesity is high? How many parents these days are actually parents? Kid is hyper and rambunctious being a kid, fragile snowflake mom and dad can't be bothered with it. Put the kid on Ritalin for ADD, shove a video game console and TV in front of them to keep them preoccupied. I don't care if it was back in NY or down here in Florida. I don't see any kids outside climbing trees, building forts, etc. See basketball courts with kids sitting head tilted down looking at a phone.
It's sad, and if you don't like it, you're an evil person. How often do you see fathers building tree houses for their kids? Or riding bikes and building jumps for them? Without them present at that? You dont.

That's not a red vs blue state thing.

That and kids are today more fragile than ever. Like they're built of glass. But that's what you get with overbearing and micromanaging parents who need to watch every move the kid makes. God forbid they fall off a bicycle. Oh no... a scraped knee and it's a rush to the emergency room, chicken little world is ending little Johnny scraped his knee! I recall only getting up hiss and go get a bandaid on my own limp it off unless it was really bad then mom was out with peroxide or rubbing alcohol and gauze.

The OP gets it. Younger generations are getting lazier and lazier. In every aspect at that.

I'm probably 1 of a minority of millenials that can use my two hands to build something, think outside of programmed thought. For others, If a small bump in the road or something doesn't go exactly according to plan it's a crisis.

For example was on a buddies boat once, he forgot to snug the drain caps down before launching. Soon as the boat started taking on water he freaked out and bailed. I took off wide open throttle to keep the boat from sinking and shouted for him to get the truck and trailer back down to the launch. Idiot would have let his boat sink... vehicle doesn't run properly or makes a strange noise, take it to the shop, can't be bothered with it or trade it in. Drive in snow, soon as the vehicle begins to lose control its slam on the brakes and scream in hysterics. Better to be able to text and drive than to have the ability to make corrective maneuvers. No wonder the obsession with automated vehicles... relinquish responsibility and have the car drive itself. God forbid you are interrupted mid text or inconvenienced...

Pure throw away mentality. Even applicable to people too...

There's no middle ground with dating it's one extreme or another. You're either hooking up (sleeping around) risking health and having a kid, or be expected to move in together after a couple months then get married inside of a year or two.
Wonder why divorce rates are so high? Rush into relationships like they do. I have many friends and cousins going through divorces 5-7 years after being married.
Both extremes are a race to the bottom. No sense in fixing problems either. Just file for divorce cry foul, and viola off to greener pastures so you hope.
That's not a man vs woman thing. Both are equally guilty.

I hear it alot... for someone who's 29 you sound like your 50/60.
Why because I pay attention and will not participate in a backasswards culture that's deemed normal that others try to justify?

Others give the OP a hard time. When really you're not demonizing him. You're proving his point for him. Shame on you for fat shaming... uh... it's not simply because it's not attractive... you don't know if the guy had someone who was glutton in his family or circle of friends who is an insulin dependent diabetic because they can't say no to the all you can eat buffet or little debbie who's suffering vision loss, neuropathy and other ailments associated to that disease.
You don't know if OP had someone close to him suffer from respiratory and circulatory issues because they can't eat proper and exercise.

So just admit you like country girls. Problem mostly solved. So do I, city girls hold no appeal to me, and I was raised in the woods. Seriously, you're only talking about millennials raised in a large suburb. I'm a millennial too, and I know and prefer to drive stick shift, and I don't know a single millennial you're alluding to. C'est la vie

Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
OP, if your most serious complaint about society is that you don't like to see so many fat people, count yourself lucky in life.

If you do really find it personally "painful and frustrating", I don't think that's normal. Perhaps a therapist might help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies