Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This such an untrue statement.

IMO, you really need to learn about homeschooling - clearly, you are misinformed
Clearly I have spent A LOT AND LOT AND LOT OF TIME... Did I emphasis the LOT OF TIME, reading up with it, and talking to home schoolers.

Most are doing it because they want to shelter their kids from ideas that they find disdainful. They aren't always ready to admit it, until you dig, and you find out the truth. I have had countless conversations with them.

And, I might add that most do not have enough of an education to school their kids in higher maths or sciences. (Neither do I, but at least I am honest about my limits.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
The majority of homeschoolers do it for religious reasons... that, and to censor what their kid learns.

I
How dare they. Why, you'd think their children belonged to them instead of the Benevolent State.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Clearly I have spent A LOT AND LOT AND LOT OF TIME... Did I emphasis the LOT OF TIME, reading up with it, and talking to home schoolers.

Most are doing it because they want to shelter their kids from ideas that they find disdainful. They aren't always ready to admit it, until you dig, and you find out the truth. I have had countless conversations with them.
As someone who has had PERSONAL EXPERIENCE homeschooling kids - and who know a lot of others who homeschool their kids - I can tell you, from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - you are wrong.

The only "sheltering" most want to do with their kids is from drugs and violence at their schools AND the poor quality of education at the schools their kids were forced to attend.

In reality, most of those who homeschool their kids have their kids very involved in many activities - including some at the very schools they might have attended (including after school clubs and sports.)

Again - I speak from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
How dare they. Why, you'd think their children belonged to them instead of the Benevolent State.
Not at all, but it does society a disjustice to raise ignorant people who don't understand the basic things that the rest of society does, due to biased teaching of subjects.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As someone who has had PERSONAL EXPERIENCE homeschooling kids - and who know a lot of others who homeschool their kids - I can tell you, from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - you are wrong.

The only "sheltering" most want to do with their kids is from drugs and violence at their schools AND the poor quality of education at the schools their kids were forced to attend.

In reality, most of those who homeschool their kids have their kids very involved in many activities - including some at the very schools they might have attended (including after school clubs and sports.)

Again - I speak from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
Yes, and you are an intelligent person, who I happen to disagree with on many social and economic issues. The circles in which you travel are similar to your own ilk.

However, I have met just as many homeschooling mommies that are not as erudite as yourself. And their reasons are NOT the same as yours.

If you disagree that's fine. But any simple search of homeschooling brings up scads and scads of arguments on how difficult it is to find homeschooling text-books or curriculums, without that slant. If what you allege was the majority of cases, those dialogues would not exist.
Quote:
FROM WIKIPEDIA
According to a 2000-2001 Barna survey, [37] [38]. The study indicated that home school parents are 39 percent less likely to be college graduates, 21 percent more likely to be married, 28 percent less likely to have experienced a divorce, and that the household income is 10% below the national average. Barna found that homeschoolers in the U.S. live predominantly in the Mid-Atlantic, the South-Atlantic, and the Pacific states. It found that homeschoolers are almost twice as likely to be evangelical as the national average (15 percent vs 8 percent), and that 91 percent describe themselves as Christian, although only 49 percent can be classified as "born again Christians." It found they were five times more likely to describe themselves as "mostly conservative" on political matters than as "mostly liberal," although only about 37 percent chose "mostly conservative", and were "notably" more likely than the national average to have high view of the Bible and hold orthodox Christian beliefs.
While many cite other reasons for doing so, it becomes clear that those are not the true motivating factors. All it takes is digging, as I mentioned.

Quote:
Some scholars see potential civic dangers in certain forms of homeschooling. Rob Reich, author of "Educational Leadership", for example, writes that homeschool can potentially give students a very one-sided view of things, as their parents may, even unwittingly, block or diminish all points of view but their own in teaching. This may make students unable to think for themselves or to adapt to multiple points of view. He also argues that part of being a citizen is having something in common with fellow citizens, and homeschool diminishes that by reducing students' contact with peers. In short, while homeschooling can be good, Reich warns that those practicing it must avoid these dangers.[54]
I have had many debates with one homeschooled kid in particular who had that exact experience. He cannot formulate anything without putting it into neat little binary piles, often piles that are extremes and don't resemble the truth that is greys. He uses a lot of $10 words, but you get the sense that he really doesn't understand what they mean. (Not to say this is my only exposure to it.)

And here is one view from a kid who was home schooled:
View topic - Why I am against Homeschooling

And here is a lot of Q&A from parents having trouble finding secular curricula.

I am looking for non religious curriculum and a homeschooling group in?

Secular Home School | Homeschooling | Home School

Doc's Sunrise Rants: Secular Homeschool Curriculum List (http://intothesunrise.blogspot.com/2006/03/secular-homeschool-curriculum-list.html - broken link)

Home Schooling: non-religious homeschool Internet sites

Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Yes, and you are an intelligent person, who I happen to disagree with on many social and economic issues. The circles in which you travel are similar to your own ilk.

However, I have met just as many homeschooling mommies that are not as erudite as yourself. And their reasons are NOT the same as yours.

If you disagree that's fine. But any simple search of homeschooling brings up scads and scads of arguments on how difficult it is to find homeschooling text-books or curriculums, without that slant. If what you allege was the majority of cases, those dialogues would not exist.
Maybe you have problems in New York - but, on in the West - we don't ... "encounter" what you claim.

Not at all.

For instance - we use the same texts as the schools. We have to have the kids pass the same regular tests etc.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Quote:
The majority of homeschoolers do it for religious reasons... that, and to censor what their kid learns.

I shutter to see the outcome in 20 years of all these homeschooled kids, because the average American is not qualified to teach beyond early grammar school level.
You shutter? Your windows? Just to avoid the homeschoolers?? Where did these average Americans get their edumacation, if they are not qualified to teach beyond the early grammar school level? Were they homeschooled??

No, the majority of homeschoolers do NOT do it for religious reasons. For many, it's for educational reasons. Spelling, for example. And logic.

Quote:
but it does society a disjustice to raise ignorant people
And grammar.

Thank you for providing shining examples of WHY some people don't want their kids going to school!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Quote:
If you were living in NY, your mortgage would be at least $2K a month and you would not be able to afford ANY vacations a year on under $50K.
Again, choices. We lived in CT, and our mortgage was $1600 per month (which we paid with my husband's income, though it was tight). We chose to move to an area with a better cost of living ratio, so that we could provide the best for our children.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:

I shutter to see the outcome in 20 years of all these homeschooled kids, because the average American is not qualified to teach beyond early grammar school level.
Sometimes I wander if the teachers we have can teach beyond that level. I think most keep their kids at home because they can not afford the better private schools and many schools are just not safe.I say let the parent decide where to spend thier money as fewer and fewer want to sent their kids to public school. Even those that do the school district was a major consideration in where to buy their home.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
You shutter? Your windows? Just to avoid the homeschoolers?? Where did these average Americans get their edumacation, if they are not qualified to teach beyond the early grammar school level? Were they homeschooled??

No, the majority of homeschoolers do NOT do it for religious reasons. For many, it's for educational reasons. Spelling, for example. And logic.

And grammar.

Thank you for providing shining examples of WHY some people don't want their kids going to school!
So you respond to a challenge by use of ad-hominem? I don't think that is illustrative of anything at all except your lack of a good argument.

FYI, not that it is any of your business, but right before I wrote this message, I got a call from my pediatrician to bring my daughter into the office since she's had a fever of 102 for 2 days. So I have been a little rushed and a little upset in general.

The "failure" of public education is no more a failure than it has EVER been. The statistics support that. The statistics also support the assertions that I made about homeschooled children. Not to mention that homeschoolers are very hush hush about the kids that fail in that system who go back to public school. (The place that is NOT selective.)

And going back to your ad-hominem, ce la vie.

I don't ever review my posts before posting them. I don't do spell check. I type 80 words a minute. The purpose of forum posting and blogging is to zap out quick ideas.

I'm confident that my "stream of consciousness" writing, complete with typos is better than the majority of a lot of people's proof read postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies