Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Wow, they sure spent a lot of money flying in all those "top Doctors and Medical Experts from across the globe."

Seems to me they could let the baby get some experimental treatment in the U.S. that they don't even have to pay for.

The only reason to object is because "Trump is for it".

I love all the "compassion" being shown by the anti-Trumps.

They'll let a kid die just to make Trump "wrong".
I don't think that's the majority of us. I hope the kid gets treatment and is saved. It's just that I wish the party would show the same compassion to our own kids instead of trying to cut them off from their Medicaid. America first, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I don't think that's the majority of us. I hope the kid gets treatment and is saved. It's just that I wish the party would show the same compassion to our own kids instead of trying to cut them off from their Medicaid. America first, right?
There is no treatment and he can't be saved, that is the tragic truth of the matter, if there was any hope then the courts rulings would be different, that's the point of getting the case to court in the first place. The courts decision is NOT taken lightly you can believe that, the decision will also be made based on evidence given by experts in this particular field. If the court rules that there is no hope for little Charlie then its because the experts have told the court there is no hope, if the experts believe there is no hope then unfortunately its because there is no hope.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
US Congress has given Charlie Gard permanent residence status so that his parents can transport him to the United States.

Charlie Gard granted permanent residence in US by Congress 'to fly to America for treatment' | The Independent

Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
US Congress has given Charlie Gard permanent residence status so that his parents can transport him to the United States.

Charlie Gard granted permanent residence in US by Congress 'to fly to America for treatment' | The Independent
The US Congress has no jurisdiction when it comes to the UK, and the Law in England states he can not be moved from the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Evening Standard

However it is understood that the 11-month-old still cannot be removed from Great Ormond Street hospital (GOSH) without the permission of the UK courts despite the US move.

Whitehall sources said the visa offer would make no difference as he is not allowed to travel to the US under an existing court direction.

The hospital today said it was aware of the visa offer but said it was a matter for the courts to decide.

Charlie Gard and parents given 'US citizenship', but court ruling blocks baby from being taken from hospital - Evening Standard

The experts at Great Ormond Street Hospital are not convinved that the treatment will be of any benefit and will just put the child through more pain and it looks like this will be the evidence put before Mr Justice Francis at the High Court, whilst I don't think a possible 10% improvement in relation to a drug that has not even been tested properly in relation to Charlies condition is going to sway the Judge.

The High Courts decision will be enforced if neccessary by members of the Metropolitan Police, so unless the Judge makes a new decision in favour of the treatment in the US, then Charlie Gard is not going anywhere.

The US can not just override British Law and indeed the European Convention on Human Rights.

The Judges decision will be final, as the UK Surpeme Court and European Court of Human Rights have already made final decisions, and it is unlikely that the Court of Appeal will allow a second appeal if the evidence is found to be unsatifactory at the High Court yet again.

We could end up with another Julian Assange situation, where due to a Court Order police may have to guard Charlie.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-19-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Thumbs down Trump offers to help terminally ill Charlie Gard

So, tRump makes a nonsensical offer of "help" to a terminally ill child in the UK. One that he knows he'll never have to follow through on.

While he works at actually dissolving health care for millions of American kids.

And his followers think he's on their side.

MAGA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies