Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 11:06 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think the Hillary fest is over, the democrats need to move in a new direction and bring in some young politicians. She is still popular among her core but it's a losing proposition.

If Trump keeps on in this fashion the republicans will have some rather large issues.

Are you kidding? They're already floating the idea of her running again. You might see the likes of Bloomberg and Cuban jumping in. After all, Trump paved the way for billionaires to run and win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hillary is still campaigning like she is going to run again in 2020.

Remember, they keep saying "It's Her Turn".
EXACTLY!

The left haven't a clue on what to do. They re-elected Pelosi as minority speaker, Schumer minority senate leader, and then elected Perez as DNC chair. NOTHING has changed, they are still totally disconnected. It won't be getting better anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Comparing Reagan to Trump is a non-starter, Reagan was great at compromise and bringing people together. If I didn't know better I would say Trump is a mole bent on destroying the republican party.
Oh stop...what complete baloney. Liberals and Democrats hated Reagan with just as much passion as Trump.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:13 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The red pill.
Another one of Bent's mangled metaphors. It doesn't mean what you think it means, Bent.
It's a Matrix metaphor taking a false view vs the truth... I'll provide the Morpheus line from THE Matrix for the context.

Quote:
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.
So on the surface, it don't seem like it fits the actual narrative. To BentBow, it does however sadly work because as him and other posters claim, liberalism is some false dream. The issue is the main scope of liberalism. Trump is a liberal in a conservative coat. He has flip-flopped and lied so many times it is nuts. He has changed his position.just in the last two years since running for President to how they have historically have been. Healthcare for instance. He was for single-payer healthcare but now wants the Republican plan only. That's a far flip flop from reality and not replacing Obamacare with something better when it moves more people out of healthcare coverage.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:21 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Are you kidding? They're already floating the idea of her running again. You might see the likes of Bloomberg and Cuban jumping in. After all, Trump paved the way for billionaires to run and win.
Clinton will not be running again, don't know about "they".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Oh stop...what complete baloney. Liberals and Democrats hated Reagan with just as much passion as Trump.

Democrats did not like Reagan but he was very good at communicating his positions and working with democrats to get his agenda passed. Trump is not capable of uniting people even in his current party. He changes positions and contradicts himself so much that no one takes him seriously, his current position depends on who spoke to last. Remember him celebrating the great achievement of the house bill only to say the senate bill was cruel a few weeks later.

Reagan if nothing else was consistent and could offer details of his proposed policies, he could reach agreement with the likes of Tip O'Neill one of the most liberal democrats.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
If I didn't know better I would say Trump is a mole bent on destroying the republican party.
Sure seems like it.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Clinton will not be running again, don't know about "they".

Democrats did not like Reagan but he was very good at communicating his positions and working with democrats to get his agenda passed. Trump is not capable of uniting people even in his current party. He changes positions and contradicts himself so much that no one takes him seriously, his current position depends on who spoke to last. Remember him celebrating the great achievement of the house bill only to say the senate bill was cruel a few weeks later.

Reagan if nothing else was consistent and could offer details of his proposed policies, he could reach agreement with the likes of Tip O'Neill one of the most liberal democrats.
Tip and Dutch were two old Irish pols from opposite sides of the aisle but they got along well and took care of the nation's business. The current occupant of the WH could learn some lessons from RR.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's a Matrix metaphor taking a false view vs the truth... I'll provide the Morpheus line from THE Matrix for the context.

So on the surface, it don't seem like it fits the actual narrative. To BentBow, it does however sadly work because as him and other posters claim, liberalism is some false dream. The issue is the main scope of liberalism. Trump is a liberal in a conservative coat. He has flip-flopped and lied so many times it is nuts. He has changed his position.just in the last two years since running for President to how they have historically have been. Healthcare for instance. He was for single-payer healthcare but now wants the Republican plan only. That's a far flip flop from reality and not replacing Obamacare with something better when it moves more people out of healthcare coverage.
I was fully aware of the Matrix metaphor. But in the OP's screwy world, he swallowed the blue pill thinking it was the red pill. It really doesn't matter anyway, as there will be a new meme next week that he will latch onto.

After all; If it's Alex Jones, it Has to be good! Yum! Yum! Come get some!

Old 07-04-2017, 03:41 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Comparing Reagan to Trump is a non-starter, Reagan was great at compromise and bringing people together. If I didn't know better I would say Trump is a mole bent on destroying the republican party.
It's not just that. Reagan, unlike Trump, had actual experience in government, and from what I understand, had basically a sunny, optimistic, low-key temperament. Compare Trump's blustering insults to Reagan's milder rebukes, for instance.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
You must be nostalgic for the cold war and the economic stagnation of the 1970s. The dems (Jimmy Carter) had their chance to turn things around. They failed.
Dems ran congress throughout the entire time Reagan was in office, and remember, Jimmy Carter was only in office for 4 years in between 2 Republican Presidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies