Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Fair enough, but how many US Marines should we sacrifice for South Korea?
The answer is ZERO

S.K has bragged about their strong military forever. They need to deal with it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
True, it would be painful for the US to push China hard, and I, for one, am willing to accept that over the possibility of Millions of Dead, in Asia and the US.
I was thinking the same thing. Would be worth sacrifices we would have to make financially to save millions of lives in an endless war.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why must we look only to China? President Trump is meeting with President Putin tomorrow: he should apply pressure on Putin, for Russia has stepped-up its trading with North Korea:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uts/102389824/

As China-North Korea ties cool, Russia looks to benefit

As the second article notes, Russia 'wrote off' 90 percent of a debt of 11 billion dollars that NK owed the Soviet state. Recall, the Soviets were very close to NK, but that changed with the break-up, and Russia's descending into economic chaos (recall the Russian soldiers begging for food and money?).

President Trump tweeted yesterday that he was essentially giving up on China's help:

"So much for China working with us — but we had to give it a try!"

Sounds rather cheery, doesn't it? Ah, well, we can all take solace that the Trump's Chinese trademarks are safe.

Russian shares a border with NK (albeit very small), and they should feel endangered by North Korea's actions. Putin, however, does not seem unduly concerned.
Why would Putin want to do anything, we have sanctions on his country, and those are not going to end any time soon?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM

The U.S. Marine Corps is called U.S. Marine Corps, the name is not Korean Marine Corps. Okay?

Presuming China does not intervene, North Korea would probably be wiped out in a matter of weeks or even days, but not without fierce resistance from what is the world's fourth largest army and without doubt the most brainwashed and reckless.
Again, depending on China's reaction, this may either lead to a landslide obliteration of the DPRK and reunification of Korea or in something awful that may well be World War 3. The belligerents would be at least NATO led by the US and South Korea versus China and the DPRK. With two nuclear powers facing each other in a "hot" war, we will see several peaks at DEFCON 2 or even 1 and perhaps the first actual nuclear face-off and exchange in history.

This grim scenario is the only reason why North Korea still currently exists.

So yes, we should play the NK card with China just like China has played the same card with us.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
Quote:
A thought on the use of Nukes:
Who is the only Nation to have actually used them, twice?

Yes, I understand that some Nations are not stable, Pakistan, NK, and Iran come to mind, and their having nukes is not a good thing for the security of all mankind. But when we sit on enough nukes to destroy the planet several times over I think we are being a bit hypocritical when we tell others they do not need them, and that they cannot have them or ways to deliver them, or we will nuke them.
Pretty much this.

I'd be interested in a Venn diagram of people who one one hand believe __________ nation shouldn't have nuclear weapons and on the other believe in the importance of the second amendment.

Seems pretty hypocritical.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:45 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wow, kind of argumentative today are we?
Not at all, but saying we don't have to do something and then we have to do something says nothing at all.

Quote:
Ok, by DOING something I meant direct military intervention.
Conway's told us Trump doesn't always say what he means, is that trickling down to his faithful?

Quote:
By getting China to DO something I believe would mean negotiate and pressure diplomatically.
I though the Twitter stance was that's not gonna happen?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:50 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
A thought on the use of Nukes:
Who is the only Nation to have actually used them, twice?

Yes, I understand that some Nations are not stable, Pakistan, NK, and Iran come to mind, and their having nukes is not a good thing for the security of all mankind. But when we sit on enough nukes to destroy the planet several times over I think we are being a bit hypocritical when we tell others they do not need them, and that they cannot have them or ways to deliver them, or we will nuke them.

Mankind is indeed a strange creature, especially when we spend so much effort finding and refining new ways to kill each other. We come off as teenagers, all grown up physically but still under development in our thought processes, hence why teens often make so many mistakes and errors in judgement.

It's not only the use of nukes, I saw a clip of Haley telling the UN that NK doesn't want a peaceful world, given the past 50 years of our history I have to wonder who are we to speak?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:50 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Not at all, but saying we don't have to do something and then we have to do something says nothing at all.

Conway's told us Trump doesn't always say what he means, is that trickling down to his faithful?

I though the Twitter stance was that's not gonna happen?
All right, I can see you are impossible to have a normal exchange of ideas with. It all comes down to Trump then?

My suggestion is stay out of these important topics then.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:51 AM

The tricky part is that China and North Korea have a mutual defense treaty. Ordinarily, this would mean that either one would come to the aid of the other if they were attacked.

However, China will do whatever they feel is required to protect themselves, but likely won't come running to Kim Jong-Un's defense.

I do believe that Russians would try and disrupt any action taken by the US as a way to become a thorn in our side. Direct combat situation between Russia vs. U.S. NOT likely though.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 AM

639 posts, read 375,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What would any of you do if president?
I think I'd "accidently" trip and hit the red button making North Korea a massive parking lot for the South Koreans.

But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies