Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But you guys have to be the most obtuse people in the world or this is really a case of bad partisanship to not see what's going on here. It isn't just as simple as NPR quoted from the Dec of Ind and then cons lost their collective shyte. It's that in this hyper charged partisan world, the language of the Dec of Ind was probably used in an incendiary manner or taken that way by some people. Maybe some new it was the Dec of Ind, maybe some didn't, the point was how it was used in this hyper partisan atmosphere both sides have fostered.

But of course you guys are aching for more "cons are dumb" stuff, so have at it.
I'll just go with Cons are the true Snowflakes and leave it at that.

So easily outraged.

Whatev.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am not saying that it was NPRs fault. I am saying that the posters assumed wrongly but that all this was due to the toxic media environment and people assuming that media outlets are jumping on the Trump = Hitler resistance bandwagon.

Either way, now I am getting a bit suspicious myself since this was the first time NPR tweeted the reading of the DOI, and in chunks (obviously due to the restrictions on Twitter), making me think, how could they not know there'd be a few knee jerk reaction in this charged political climate.

But I wouldn't want to speculate.
OK - then we mostly agree. I think it is debatable that sharing the DOI on Twitter was the best method, but I personally think that was just them not fully thinking through that this kind of reaction would happen. I imagine they thought this would be an innocent move. I personally wouldn't have predicted this kind of reaction.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Pointing out liberal bias doesn't mean conservatives are outraged. It is about persuading voters.

A snowflake is a person that wants to censor another person. Conservatives are not trying to censor anybody to include NPR. Many liberals want to censor and punish people who say things they don't like. CNN threatening to dox a creator of one of the CNN wrestling memes is an example of this. They want payback on anybody who pokes fun of them.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, I read it. The fact remains that there was no liberal outrage about it, was there? You may have noticed that it no longer matters where something occurs in order to go viral. There undoubtedly were plenty of liberals who saw that production, and did not react.
There was nothing to react to. It wasn't a big production in a major city and the similarities weren't glaringly obvious and over wrought with humor and the scenes weren't as gruesome.

From the article you DID NOT read:

Quote:
To my second question, Melrose admits that, unlike in his version, when his ambiguously “Obama-Caesar” meets his untimely demise, “the moment of this latest Caesar’s [Trump-Caesar] is shocking and horrific.”

So, Melrose’s Caesar was deliberately meant not to be an exact likeness of Obama. It was meant to leave enough distance between Obama and Caesar so that audience members could miss the connection. Eustis’s Caesar, though, is meant to leave no doubts in anyone’s minds that the character is Trump.

Melrose’s Caesar is not mocked and ridiculed throughout the performance, as is Eustis’s Caesar.

Melrose’s Caesar is not assassinated in a “shocking and horrific” manner. Eustis’s Caesar is.

Quote:
“In 2012, the produce of The Acting Company, was very concerned that this production was going to get us into trouble, and she really didn’t want us talking too much to the press about the concept,” Melrose says.

There was no public outcry, hardly any media attention at all paid to Melrose’s version of Julius Caesar, for the production company made a conscious decision to keep it a secret of sorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg
Those tweets did not go out in isolation, did they? One after another, in sequence, it was the DoI. Now I can understand someone not knowing every single sentence in it, I am sure most of us are in that same boat. But how on earth could anyone miss that the tweets before the one that was upsetting were the DoI? And the ones following were also the DoI????
It depends on how those posters found those tweets. But either way, my point was that it's possible these posters thought NPR was using the DOI in a politically charged way to insinuate Trump was a tyrant and needed resistance. I am not saying NPR is at fault for the knee jerk reaction but it shows what the media has done to foster such a climate.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:44 PM

It isn't a 'knee jerk' reaction if it is a valid conclusion given the fact NPR is leftwing and many leftwingers are saying Trump is a tyrant and stole the election.

A knee jerk reaction is a mindless one. Suspecting NPR of an anti-Trump bias isn't mindless. It is a reasonable assumption even if it isn't correct in this one specific example.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Why do liberals on here feel need to white knight for NPR? So sensitive.

It is not like NPR is going to lose audience over this because conservatives aren't their audience anyway.
Wanting things to be accurately portrayed is now considered "white knighting"? LOL...

There are plenty of very biased media organizations on both sides - NPR is about as middle as it gets in this day and age (there are other news organizations that are also fairly in the middle, too). I realize you disagree...and hey, you're welcome to think whatever you want...although that certainly feels like a warped perspective on the world.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 PM

Ok, again, you don't get to decide for conservatives what is middle of the road. You haven't provided any evidence of that. You act as though your mere assertion, as a partisan liberal, is good enough evidence.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'll just go with Cons are the true Snowflakes and leave it at that.

So easily outraged.

Whatev.
Yeah like totally, bro. Whatevs, liberals are like so obtuse, cha.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The cult doth protest too much, methinks .
I can use this kind of empty rhetoric on you as well.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, again, you don't get to decide for conservatives what is middle of the road. You haven't provided any evidence of that. You act as though your mere assertion, as a partisan liberal, is good enough evidence.
Middle of the road isn't subjective, so it doesn't matter if you're conservative or liberal. Whenever I listen to NPR, they're interviewing Republican politicians and activists just as much as Democrat/liberal, if not moreso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies