Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 05:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Cell phones cost less than landlines now.

There is no way you are going to find a different job without internet as well. Cheapest option by far is a smart phone with a decent data plan.
Actually, you can get a VOIP number for a tablet or laptop and use free wifi hotspots all over the place to make calls. You can even have voicemail with it and check messages you received while not hooked up.

You can get a decent tablet for $250.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 05:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Math.

Unless being an original inhabitant comes with a stipend, it doesn't help you deal with rising COL.

Homeowners use government to insulate themselves from displacement due to rising COL. Why shouldn't renters do likewise?

Old 07-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That is illegal most places unless they are all related to her, good old occupancy laws and all.....

psst...a whole lot of Americans are coping with The Rent Is Too High by living in illegal housing arrangements.

I'm living in a 3BR/1BA small house with 10 other people. (1 is in an RV on the property.)

Celebrate Gorving!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Homeowners use government to insulate themselves from displacement due to rising COL. Why shouldn't renters do likewise?
How exactly?

Old 07-06-2017, 05:53 PM

143 posts, read 98,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Cell phones cost less than landlines now.

There is no way you are going to find a different job without internet as well. Cheapest option by far is a smart phone with a decent data plan.
Exactly, in the year 2017 it's pretty much a "necessity" to have at least a cell phone to function in our modern/hi-tech society. Besides the obvious job search/employment uses, making and receiving job-related communications, setting up job interviews, etc a smartphone also "doubles" as your internet access depending on if you have an unlimited data plan. Even WITHOUT a data-plan you can still have internet access for free at many easily-accessible public places such as McDonald's, Starbucks, library, etc. Many employers now also check things like Facebook, LinkedIn, etc to see if you are a normie or not..... and not having say, a Facebook page may come across as unusual.

The advantage of a cell/smartphone plan is you can literally take it everywhere you go, it's versatility is unmatched. A "landline" internet connection on the other hand requires you to at least physically be within a few feet of your home, so if you are away you would be offline if you went the traditional route with a desktop+"landline" connection. Several of my friends don't even have a "landline" internet connection anymore, they've opted to just spend a couple extra dollars on their cell phone plans to get unlimited data.

Just LOL @ "you don't need a cell phone plan" remarks from out of touch right-wingers

Last edited by UbbyJuice; 07-06-2017 at 06:18 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 06:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
There are only minimum wage jobs in the expensive cities?
I didn't say that did I? I don't know if the OP actually has a minimum wage job or not, not the proverbial person. A person's given field might not be there. A cashier, fry cook, sticker, front-end attendant, etc is mostly universal but I meant specific jobs.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Exactly, in the year 2017 it's pretty much a "necessity" to have at least a cell phone to function in our modern/hi-tech society. Besides the obvious job search/employment uses, making and receiving job-related communications, setting up job interviews, etc a smartphone also "doubles" as your internet access depending on if you have an unlimited data plan. Even WITHOUT a data-plan you can still have internet access for free at many easily-accessible public places such as McDonald's, Starbucks, library, etc. Many employers now also check things like Facebook, LinkedIn, etc to see if you are a normie or not..... and not having say, a Facebook page may come across as unusual.

The advantage of a cell/smartphone plan is you can literally take it everywhere you go, it's versatility is unmatched. A "landline" internet connection on the other hand requires you to at least physically be within a few feet of your home, so if you are away you would be offline if you went the traditional route with a desktop+"landline" connection. Several of my friends don't even have a "landline" internet connection anymore, they've opted to just spend a couple extra dollars on their cell phone plans to get unlimited data.

Just LOL @ "you don't need a cell phone plan" remarks from right-wingers
Completely false.

Will you die without a cell phone?
Will you be on the street without a cellphone?

Google voice will take care of the need.

You don't need more than $10 a month to have a phone!

I have been poor. My monthly saving used to be $10.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I didn't say that did I? I don't know if the OP actually has a minimum wage job or not, not the proverbial person. A person's given field might not be there. A cashier, fry cook, sticker, front-end attendant, etc is mostly universal but I meant specific jobs.
Specific jobs like in IT won't be minimum wage, and the thread is about minimum wage.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
It is mathematically impossible to survive on minimum wage $8/hour type jobs in 2017, here's the math:

Assuming the person works for $8/hour and 40 hours a week

($8/hour x 40 hours) x 4 weeks in a month = $1280 before tax = $1088-ish after tax (assuming 10-15% tax bracket)

Assuming the "typical" cost of living for an average American with NO kids or welfare assistance

$800-$1000/month - Average rent in most cities for a 1-bedroom apartment
$75-$150/month - Average car insurance payment, depending on age of car etc
$150-$300/month - Average gasoline expenditure depending on vehicle and commute distance
$200-$300/month - Average food/grocery bill for one person, assuming a somewhat healthy diet
$50-$100/month - Average cost of miscellaneous household items such as toilet paper, etc
$150-$300/month - Average health insurance bill depending on a number of factors
$75-$150/month - Average utilities depending on several factors
$40-$70/month - Average cell phone/internet bill
+???/month on TOP of all this - If there is any debt service (car loan, student loans, etc) or kids involved

...and all of this is without saving any money whatsoever.

Grand totals for "typical" cost of living on $8/hour minimum wage

$1550ish-$2370/month on the typical $8/hour wage $1088ish take-home pay

$1088ish pay - $1550ish-$2370ish cost of living = negative $462-$1282 every month, literally mathematically impossible

And in many recent threads on here, Republican right-wingers have actually been advocating for no minimum wage at all

Now before you say "well, those types of jobs are only for teenagers anyway", I just want to remind you that it's the year 2017 and many full-grown adults wind up working these poverty level McJobs. We need to have some sympathy, because people end up in $8/hour type jobs for a variety of reasons.... they were laid off from a good-paying job, their bills went up and they needed more income, they couldn't find anything better in the area, no other jobs called them back, etc. The point is, the economy is much worse in 2017, and we don't live in the 1950's anymore.... plenty of full-grown men and women are working minimum wage or close to it. It's not "just for teenagers" anymore.

The cashier at the nearby 7-eleven down the street? The guy who rings up my coffee? He's like in his early 40's, but I've talked to him here and there and he says he works there because "times are tough and i need the money", so i know that these people are out there and that's just one example. If Republican right-wingers had their way, these honest hard-working people would be rounded up and shot - they would rather "brush the issue under the rug" than address it

Meanwhile America more and more resembles a Mexico-style 98% poor / 2% rich stratified society every year. But right-wingers have 0 issue with 8 individuals having more wealth as 50% of the human population, or paper-pusher executive types raking in $500k+ salaries. Instead of noticing this very real problem affecting average and lower-income Americans, republican right-wingers seem to have this tunnel-vision regarding "brown people" and other economically un-important issues..... as if the very complicated and nuanced economic issues of the day can be boiled down to "brown people", while a CEO makes more money than all his employees combined

Describe for us in detail, a business model that allows a company to pay it's workers based on their needs rather than on the worth of their labor.

Now, list all the companies currently in business using this model.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
How exactly?

Proposition 13 in California was a direct homeowner response to "newcomers are making my home too expensive to live in" - they literally insulated them from housing cost increases caused by newcomers.\\

Many states have similar homeowner protections which insulate them from housing cost increases caused by newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies