Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well like so many who only read one side, you are basing your opinion on one article and not even from a paper that might be known for being objective.

let me tell you how well it is working: I am appalled at how high my kids insurance rates have shot up in the past few years; I am shocked at their deductibles and then it hit me on the head yesterday. A test I have o have repeated every year went this year to $130. In the past few years the out of pocket cost has been nothing. I also am amazed at the number of diagnostic tests that are not limited depending on ones age. By the way I am not even saying this is bad, but I am pointing out some of the changes I have witnessed since Obamacare became the way of the land. Oh and then there is the restrictions on how long a doctor is supposed to spend with a patient. What is that all about?

Now tell me what is so wonderful about Obamacare? Again ask your doctor or health health provider. We have, in our immediate family a few in the heath field from nurses, to nurse practitioners to doctors.
Few tests are limited by age, but this is not not inherent to Obamacare. What testing change have you noticed?

It is unlikely that your increased test cost is due to Obamacare per se. What kind of test if I could ask?

There is no set time limit on docs and office visits. Although time spent face to face can be used by the doc in billing. There is also the complexity of the visit that is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 11:28 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
well like so many who only read one side, you are basing your opinion on one article and not even from a paper that might be known for being objective.

let me tell you how well it is working: I am appalled at how high my kids insurance rates have shot up in the past few years; I am shocked at their deductibles and then it hit me on the head yesterday. A test I have o have repeated every year went this year to $130. In the past few years the out of pocket cost has been nothing. I also am amazed at the number of diagnostic tests that are not limited depending on ones age. By the way I am not even saying this is bad, but I am pointing out some of the changes I have witnessed since Obamacare became the way of the land. Oh and then there is the restrictions on how long a doctor is supposed to spend with a patient. What is that all about?

Now tell me what is so wonderful about Obamacare? Again ask your doctor or health health provider. We have, in our immediate family a few in the heath field from nurses, to nurse practitioners to doctors.

I can speak for myself. And I know the AMA is opposed to the new GOP healthcare law. I am sorry your deductibles went up so much under Obamacare. I know there are pros and cons, but I also know that this GOP law will be disastrous for millions.

As far as how long a doctor can spend with a patient, that hasn't been mine nor my husband's experiences at all.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
it appears there is a new government report that says obamacare is working well. I know it is for me.

as gop moves toward repeal, a government report shows obamacare is working well - chicago tribune
lol!!!

Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
lol!!!
I'm not sure what you're laughing about, the report or my personal experience. Either way, it is what it is.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Of course it is. The last stat I read was that all the stories about premiums doubling, tripling; plans being phased out; doctor's quitting; etc.... all that meat feeding RWNJ anger is 3% of the eligible population. The highest I've seen for the horror stories of Obamacare was 7% of the eligible pop.

For the most part, it's 40% of people in this country are angry about the situation of 3-5% of the country b/c they think it represents the situation for 80% of the country.
Yes, we all know that "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor," and "If you like your plan, you can keep your plan," and "On average, families will save $2,500/year," were the absolute truth. Sure.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'm not sure what you're laughing about, the report or my personal experience. Either way, it is what it is.
LOL Sure, okay.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:34 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:

I thought you were on Medicare?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:35 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I told you my sis balked paid about $4000-- but when the hubby had a massive stroke and unfortunately died and the hospt. bill for a week was well over $100,000--$34K in medivac she zipped it about Obamacare- she owns several homes etc. and without it--- she would have lost $$$

Last edited by tinytrump; 07-06-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 11:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OK. Give us an example of how it is working for you. You know - your premium, deductible...things like that.
And if you wouldn't mind, will you compare that to what it was before Obamacare... And if you can, tell us what it will be like with the new Trumpcare, if it ever exists.
I also not going to give you details but honestly, for us there has been little change to our health care costs/coverage. For the last 20 years there has been a slow increase in cost and decrease in what is covered -- so I didn't notice any impact on our budget with the introduction of Obamacare. I have 2 sons 29 and 27 that were able to have coverage under our employer sponsored plans so that helped and even once the one son was out working but not quite covered he was able to be covered for an emergency visit...just before his 25th birthday. That was good for us.

But I know that for people who have to buy their own, I have a few friends whose premiums went WAY up.....and I can't imagine having to buy my own insurance if their premiums are any indication.

I also have quite a few friends that were helped because they had pre-existing conditions and they have much better coverage.

I don't know what the answer is but I know there must be experts that can formulate a plan that would somehow provide a minimum basic health care standard for our country that is reasonable and not have people pay such high costs for medical attention.

The predictions for the new proposal seem to indicate that retirees will be hit really hard with increased premiums. We are getting close to retirement age. Kind of scary.

My husband and I have no medication, no existing conditions...nothing...so far. We are fortunate but I fear that even that won't be able to keep our premiums to a reasonable amount once he retires and we are paying for our own health care insurance.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:39 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I can see Obamacare is indeed working for you since you pay "very low" premiums and have no deductible.

Maybe we will hear from all the other millions of people who also have that plan.
I haven't seen it, myself.
I've got one.

Premiums affordable for where ever I end the year income wise.

Actually covers stuff. Paid like $100 this year out of pocket.

A silver plan I think.

Prior to the ACA and post getting off parents healthcare (if they even had any I can't remember, if they did it was at least $5,000 deductible) didn't have any.

There was some calculator to compare the new one with the ACA. My projected income this year with the current plan in Congress would probably be lower than under the ACA. At the same time though, those with lower incomes would see a higher premium under the proposed plan. I'm fine with a slightly higher premium under the ACA for where I think I'll be income wise (six figures) if those with the lower incomes get the lower rate. I've been there, the difference is pocket money for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies