Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Minimum wage hike set to reverse in Missouri

Amer Hawatmeh's family-owned restaurant in downtown St. Louis is struggling.

Along with rising sales taxes, and meat prices, a minimum wage hike to $10 an hour two months ago made it expensive to stay open. So he's cut back from five to two days a week for lunch. His hamburgers are smaller, his entrees pricier and his customers scarcer.

And Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens agrees. Next month, the minimum wage will return to $7.70 an hour -- ten bucks an hour was a mistake, he says.

"Despite what you hear from liberals, it will take money out of people's pockets," Greitens said.

There was also an account in the article about a woman making minimum wage who would take a hit.

Wanda Roberts, a minimum wage worker in St. Louis, said the new $10 wage brought in an extra $400 a month and helped the local economy.

"If we're making $10 an hour, we're going to go right back out and spend that money," Roberts said.

And now that it's being reversed, she says she would "go back to struggling."

After reading the article... I have an idea.

If liberals or anyone else want higher living wages, decrease sales taxes. I am looking at other factors in rising business costs - and above it says sales taxes are rising as well. So if the government wants to raise wages, let it come out of their pocket, and lower sales tax. At least that way, the rise in the cost to do business can be counterbalanced with a decrease in business taxes.

-------------------------------
Missouri set to reduce St. Louis minimum wage from $10 to $7.70

“Our state needs more private sector paychecks and bigger private sector paychecks,” Greitens said in a statement. “Politicians in St. Louis passed a bill that fails on both counts: it will kill jobs, and despite what you hear from liberals, it will take money out of people's pockets.”

“It'll hurt them,” Greitens said of the hourly wage jump. “This increase in the minimum wage might read pretty on paper, but it doesn't work in practice. Government imposes an arbitrary wage, and small businesses either have to cut people’s hours or let them go.”

Conservatives love to increase sales taxes in order to decrease income taxes, and liberals love to increase income taxes in order to decrease sales taxes.

Conservatives also love to increase sales taxes in order to cut property taxes - a proposition guaranteed to make renters financially worse off.

A lot of liberals would be happy to cut sales taxes - conservatives not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 11:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
p.s. I'd like to remind everyone that the problem is not "minimum wage is too low". The problem is "there is a shortage of housing affordable to minimum wage earners". Best to address the REAL problem, because there is NO higher (or lower) minimum wage that will resolve the shortage of housing affordable to minimum wage earners.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:37 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Said job growth will be needed since minimum wage earners will now need to work two jobs to survive rather than just one.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:38 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
As noted above, this wasn't a statewide decrease in the minimum wage. This was the Republicans in Missouri preventing St. Louis setting its own minimum wage.

I think St. Louis should be able to set its minimum wage independent of the state, and I'm pretty far to the right.

While you may be correct about the GOP being full of it with respect to this, that argument is a strong one. $15 an hour would finish the destruction of the economy of places like eastern KY. The cost of living changes across this nation so much that a federal minimum wage seems like a bad idea to me.
Eliminating the federal minimum wage means a race to the bottom for workers. Just because the cost of living changes across the nation doesnt mean a federal floor is a bad idea. But the GOP listen to their financial overlords, and then are given scripts to tell their constituents why they followed the will of their donors (who want no minimum wage, neither federal nor locally).

Old 07-06-2017, 11:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Minimum wage hike set to reverse in Missouri

Amer Hawatmeh's family-owned restaurant in downtown St. Louis is struggling.

Along with rising sales taxes, and meat prices, a minimum wage hike to $10 an hour two months ago made it expensive to stay open. So he's cut back from five to two days a week for lunch. His hamburgers are smaller, his entrees pricier and his customers scarcer.

And Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens agrees. Next month, the minimum wage will return to $7.70 an hour -- ten bucks an hour was a mistake, he says.

"Despite what you hear from liberals, it will take money out of people's pockets," Greitens said.

There was also an account in the article about a woman making minimum wage who would take a hit.

Wanda Roberts, a minimum wage worker in St. Louis, said the new $10 wage brought in an extra $400 a month and helped the local economy.

"If we're making $10 an hour, we're going to go right back out and spend that money," Roberts said.

And now that it's being reversed, she says she would "go back to struggling."

After reading the article... I have an idea.

If liberals or anyone else want higher living wages, decrease sales taxes. I am looking at other factors in rising business costs - and above it says sales taxes are rising as well. So if the government wants to raise wages, let it come out of their pocket, and lower sales tax. At least that way, the rise in the cost to do business can be counterbalanced with a decrease in business taxes.

-------------------------------
Missouri set to reduce St. Louis minimum wage from $10 to $7.70

“Our state needs more private sector paychecks and bigger private sector paychecks,” Greitens said in a statement. “Politicians in St. Louis passed a bill that fails on both counts: it will kill jobs, and despite what you hear from liberals, it will take money out of people's pockets.”

“It'll hurt them,” Greitens said of the hourly wage jump. “This increase in the minimum wage might read pretty on paper, but it doesn't work in practice. Government imposes an arbitrary wage, and small businesses either have to cut people’s hours or let them go.”

Supply & demand....

Around here the supply has taken a hit bigtime, with the Communist Mayor, City Council & the lady Sherriff, bringing heat on the illegal aliens, from the Feds, the minimum wage deal is sorting itself out.
There is a minimum wage in this very Progressive City, being punished up & up by the feds, with no extra wage laws.... for the city stocking, housing and helping cheap labor.

The "going rates" are double the minimum wages. Businesses know they will not fill staff, below a price point.
ICE makes a big difference in the Cities.
Minimum wages can price you out of work and food on the table, in more depressed areas with less opportunities, but the cost of living is not expensive, either.
Reduced regulations and fees, to business. will create a bunch of business owners in depressed areas. Kick starting the local economy.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
"So he's cut back from five to two days a week for lunch. His hamburgers are smaller, his entrees pricier and his customers scarcer"

Well I think I found this restaurants problem. They were only open 5 days a week for lunch and now they are open 2 days a week for lunch. Obviously this restaurant has other issues. I own a Chinese restaurant in Kansas and employees start at $8.00/hour. Legally I could pay a LOT less for waitstaff. But, the quality of those employees are going to be terrible. Most restaurant chains start at $8-9/hour, and think how bad most fast food employees are and now this guy wants to pay half of that, he's going to get what he pays for. If this restaurant goes out of business it will be because of mismanagement or other problems. Not because wages are too high.

EDIT: I buy sirloin quality beef from Sysco for under $5.00 a pound, 3 years ago I paid almost $7.00 a pound.
Your post got me interested in the individual named in the original article, Amer Hawatmeh.

In said article, Mr. Hawatmeh is cited as the 'owner' of the St. Louis restaurant on Washington Avenue. The article then states:

"Hawatmeh believes it's not the government, but a combination of worker determination and customer demand that should set the correct wage."

I consider that a little vague, although the 'customer demand' is telling.

Now, before we go forward, it must be recognized that St. Louis had passed a bill, in 2015, raising the minimum wage to $10.00, but due to court action and such implementation was delayed. Said new minimum wage finally went into effect on May 5, 2017. Now, with the bill, it will go back to $7.70 in August.

As for Mr. Hawatmeh, we must get into the Wayback Machine to October 2014:

Washington Avenue Restaurant Group Sounding Warning About Lack of Business « CBS St. Louis

In this article Mr. Hawatmeh is cited as being the general manager of the restaurant, not the owner. In October 2014 he identified the issue: he and other businesses were being harmed by Ballpark Village.

Indeed, Mr.Hawatmeh reported that the Washington Avenue restaurant group reported a 50 percent drop in gross revenue since Ballpark Village opened, and that he may have to stop serving lunch due to having so few customers.

As such, it is painfully obvious that raising the minimum wage to $10 in May 2017, as well as dropping it back to $7.70 in August, is a non-issue.

Here is yet another article from 2016 citing how some businesses had to close due to Ballpark Village:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/musi...llpark-village

At the time, it was reported:

"Copia manager Amer Hawatmeh said at the time that the "Ballpark Village effect" was being felt at establishments in as far as a ten-mile radius."

It was also reported that the drop in business was in the neighborhood of 70 percent.

As such, I would submit this is not a 'minimum wage' story, but more about a Goliath moving into the neighborhood, and destroying local businesses (see also: Walmart).

Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
"So he's cut back from five to two days a week for lunch. His hamburgers are smaller, his entrees pricier and his customers scarcer"

Well I think I found this restaurants problem. They were only open 5 days a week for lunch and now they are open 2 days a week for lunch. Obviously this restaurant has other issues. I own a Chinese restaurant in Kansas and employees start at $8.00/hour. Legally I could pay a LOT less for waitstaff. But, the quality of those employees are going to be terrible. Most restaurant chains start at $8-9/hour, and think how bad most fast food employees are and now this guy wants to pay half of that, he's going to get what he pays for. If this restaurant goes out of business it will be because of mismanagement or other problems. Not because wages are too high.

EDIT: I buy sirloin quality beef from Sysco for under $5.00 a pound, 3 years ago I paid almost $7.00 a pound.
Fascinating info. thanks and repped ya for anecdotal but useful info.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:59 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Your post got me interested in the individual named in the original article, Amer Hawatmeh.

In said article, Mr. Hawatmeh is cited as the 'owner' of the St. Louis restaurant on Washington Avenue. The article then states:

"Hawatmeh believes it's not the government, but a combination of worker determination and customer demand that should set the correct wage."

I consider that a little vague, although the 'customer demand' is telling.

Now, before we go forward, it must be recognized that St. Louis had passed a bill, in 2015, raising the minimum wage to $10.00, but due to court action and such implementation was delayed. Said new minimum wage finally went into effect on May 5, 2017. Now, with the bill, it will go back to $7.70 in August.

As for Mr. Hawatmeh, we must get into the Wayback Machine to October 2014:

Washington Avenue Restaurant Group Sounding Warning About Lack of Business « CBS St. Louis

In this article Mr. Hawatmeh is cited as being the general manager of the restaurant, not the owner. In October 2014 he identified the issue: he and other businesses were being harmed by Ballpark Village.

Indeed, Mr.Hawatmeh reported that the Washington Avenue restaurant group reported a 50 percent drop in gross revenue since Ballpark Village opened, and that he may have to stop serving lunch due to having so few customers.

As such, it is painfully obvious that raising the minimum wage to $10 in May 2017, as well as dropping it back to $7.70 in August, is a non-issue.

Here is yet another article from 2016 citing how some businesses had to close due to Ballpark Village:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/musi...llpark-village

At the time, it was reported:

"Copia manager Amer Hawatmeh said at the time that the "Ballpark Village effect" was being felt at establishments in as far as a ten-mile radius."

It was also reported that the drop in business was in the neighborhood of 70 percent.

As such, I would submit this is not a 'minimum wage' story, but more about a Goliath moving into the neighborhood, and destroying local businesses (see also: Walmart).
So the original post is based on a lousy story.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:03 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Watch the local economy shrug off the raise and the decrease. $10 was only going to kill some marginal businesses. They are not going to suddenly hire more people.

The Missouri governor is full of dog poo. Hiring will stay very close right where it is and was. The GOP is pro owner, not pro worker. Their laws reflect that. This is nothing more nor less than that. If Joe Rich Owner needs one dish washer he will not hire a second one if they set the minimum wage to zero. He does not need the second person and will not hire.

(Interesting idea on the sales tax.)

Wondering if min wage increase people are going to use a ballot question now.

Note: BOTH people in the story appear to not be the norm. Crappy jobs I looked at in the St Louis area seemed to pay around $9. The woman should have an easy time making up $1.30 of the $2.30 she is about to lose. Her employer sucks and so does the pay with the guy in the story.
Tinkle down economics...of course they're going to pocket those savings. You think they're going to suddenly hire 0.5 more people because they don't have to pay their workers as much as before? It doesn't work that (usually).

Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
So the original post is based on a lousy story.
That sums it up. Same restaurant, two different stories: 1) business is destroyed by Ballpark Village; a few years later, 2) business destroyed by minimum wage hike that had not yet taken effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies