Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:11 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not any that I heard in a couple hours today......

Now...some of them might be embraced by reasonable citizens who lean Republican. He talked big time about Vo-Tech as well as infrastructure and life sciences.

The important thing about MA (and the Guv, who is part of it) is that this is not just "talk" about what he will do, but these are all well underway. He constantly talks about what "the people" want - and you can tell that he is not injecting what he wants, rather he makes intelligent points.

For example, there was discussion about the pot business. We have been decrim for a long time and medical also...but now there will be shops for recreational. You can tell that he studied the numbers from CO. and Washington state and knows what problems they had....and will make sure we learn from them.

When it comes to education, he might be considered as Republican because he believes in state control. BUT, as he said, we are the #1 state in the USA in that category, so there is a difference there. In other words, our standards and policies are far in advance of anything the Feds would come up with.

But I can understand Fed standards in states where this is not the case.

He won't yet say Yay or Nay on the "millionaires" tax which is being discussed. He is pretty much "cross that bridge when we come to it". But he was asked if a single millionaire or billionaire had come to him and said they would move out of state if such a tax came to be. He answered no...that this was not one of the concerns brought to him by citizens.

That was a very honest answer...I'd wager that many rightie pols would have lied when asked such a question. One should keep in mind that the Guv is a multi-millionaire as are probably many of his friends...so you might expect him to be strong against such a tax.

Another item mentioned was Chris Christie and his beach house. Our Guv was proud that MA is one of only a few states that has no Guv Mansions or houses. After Christies actions, it's easy to see why such a Mansion might keeps pols from being close to "the people".
If the politician listens and gives the people what they want its a good thing. Party wouldn't matter so much.

I don't get why you think it might be OK for the Fed to step in. If its a states right then they need to elect someone who gets the job done. If they mismanage the state the voters need to correct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 02:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So essentially you like him because he is not really a republican. You should have just said so.
Are you saying that Republicans don't like vo-tech, education, business and doing what the people desire?

I have to say that, given the current situation, that may be the case.

And, yes, if that IS the case....you are 100% right. He is for those things.

It seems a new type of Republican has been minted..the Drudge and Breitbart variety. But I can't even debate that kind of nuttiness. Words have taken on new meanings. What is "conservative"? You would think that educating the populace so they can get good paying jobs would be conservative. But obviously, at least according to you, this has changed to "sink or swim everyone...based on what you have in your bank account today"....or something like that.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,948,629 times
I love it when Democrats pontificate about how the other party is "so extreme."

Classic case of pot calling the kettle black.

News flash: the extreme party is the one that holds power in a handful of coastal states and large urban hellholes, but nowhere else.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post

News flash: the extreme party is the one that holds power in a handful of coastal states and large urban hellholes, but nowhere else.
How are the Republicans not extreme? I'm waiting.......

Old 07-06-2017, 03:05 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Quote:

You don't think the party has moved even more to the right?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:08 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:

Yep. They should tune in to the Maxine Waters News Channel or even listen to the Clinton Machine. Then salt their dinner with BLM nonsense and practice repeating what Nancy Pelosi says.

Then they will find out who is sane. Right now, they are in no position to judge.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:10 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
You don't think the party has moved even more to the right?
The Republicans? Yes, but not far enough.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Another Democratic fan of our Republican governor here in MA.

MA is socially liberal and fiscally conservative--but not to any far fetched extremes. Moderate is usually the best position to take. We aren't the same kind of liberal as the PNW liberal.

Sadly both parties have been hijacked by the far right or the far left. Right now MA is fortunate to have a Republican governor who is a moderate and listens to the people.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:21 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,544,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The Republicans? Yes, but not far enough.
Here we have Exhibit A: evidence that the Republican party is becoming more extreme.

A Democrat friend of mine told me that Rockefeller Republicans in the 1960s and 1970s would probably be Centrist Democrats today, like Obama. I can sort of see it, even if I'm not personally ready to change my registration all the way to (D).

Old 07-06-2017, 03:53 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Here we have Exhibit A: evidence that the Republican party is becoming more extreme.

A Democrat friend of mine told me that Rockefeller Republicans in the 1960s and 1970s would probably be Centrist Democrats today, like Obama. I can sort of see it, even if I'm not personally ready to change my registration all the way to (D).
Extreme is a nice word for anti-Democratic and anti-Liberty.
In other words, they have become more authoritarian and less likely to think for themselves (actually, that's somewhat the meaning of authoritarian)...

The larger question is to sort out why and how. Are they not interested in the history of authoritarianism and do they not realize what it means and where it leads? Or have they been blinded by their own hate (whipped up by hate radio, tv and internet) and now accept that being "like Russia" may not be a bad thing??

Russia doesn't put up with gay folks. They are not going to legalize pot. The "bosses" own everything, including the media and the oil/gas companies.

I am a bit of a history and geography nut and the current state of affairs here really concerns me. I don't think there has been a time in my civic lifetime (about 45 years of somewhat knowing what is going on) when such a large percentage of Americans were so fearful of others...and therefore so willing to give up their rights and our foundations....to trade in for authoritarianism.

Yes, it is still a minority. But with the help of the Russians and our own propaganda institutions (usually rooted in money and/or fossil fuels), it has been getting bigger and bigger.

In many ways we are the victims of our own success. People often don't vote - because of various reasons, but one is that they feel our "freedoms" are so solid that we are not in any danger of slipping.

I think recent events have proven that to not be the case. We seem to be taking 2 steps forward and then 2 steps backwards...on one hand, some things are better than ever (pot decrim, more people have health care/insurance). On the other, we have more Americans hating on their fellow Americans (and on people - generally - all over the world) than I ever remember.

The Founders declared that if we fail to hang together - we would surely each hang separately. I think we are headed toward the later due to selfish and base instincts which have now become normalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies