Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I agree with you. It's going to be entirely up to the individual on how they perceive that. I have pretty thick skin so when I get called nasty things and my wife called a traitor to her culture for marrying me, I can take most of it.

Now, consider what you just said. The vast majority of Chinese have racial stereotypes against black people, is that really a friendly environment to live in compared to say Canada. Of course not. For a quick visit it will be fun to be so different and an oddity, but after years, it gets tiring. The same old stereotypes over and over and over. Losing jobs over white peers? Not getting paid as much as white peers? It's all about what one can take.
Yep. Agreed.

I think my opinion is biased because I enjoyed my time there in China and Japan. I also enjoyed my time in Germany. My grandpa said China would be an economic powerhouse, so he forced us to go. Hindsight being 20/20 I think he did all of us a favor.

I have one half black and half white friend who found success in Japan and I also have several white friends teaching English in Japan, and China. They all have had great experiences.

You are right and I agree with your post 100%.

Your wife has been called a traitor to her culture? Maybe they are just bitter that she found happiness. Not sure if this is a race thing.

My sister's husband cheated on her with a Hispanic woman, she hated all Hispanic women. (what I saw is just a lost woman who was angry and vindictive) LOL Now, she is engaged to be married, she loves everyone.

When people are angry, race is something they try to focus on. But everybody can see through them.. happy people don't care about other people's partner choices. After all, we all need to do what is the best for US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
It's a shame what harm the left's identity politics strategy has done to race relations in this country. Maybe you are better off leaving.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:29 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yep. Agreed.

I think my opinion is biased because I enjoyed my time there in China and Japan. I also enjoyed my time in Germany. My grandpa said China would be an economic powerhouse, so he forced us to go. Hindsight being 20/20 I think he did all of us a favor.

I have one half black and half white friend who found success in Japan and I also have several white friends teaching English in Japan, and China. They all have had great experiences.

You are right and I agree with your post 100%.

Your wife has been called a traitor to her culture? Maybe they are just bitter that she found happiness. Not sure if this is a race thing.

My sister's husband cheated on her with a Hispanic woman, she hated all Hispanic women. (what I saw is just a lost woman who was angry and vindictive) LOL Now, she is engaged to be married, she loves everyone.

When people are angry, race is something they try to focus on. But everybody can see through them.. happy people don't care about other people's partner choices. After all, we all need to do what is the best for US.
Chinese don't typically differentiate between nationality, race, and culture. Younger Chinese people typically have a more modern view and don't see those things as being inseparable, but most Chinese over, say 30, combine all of those things into one. Obviously that isn't reality, but it's just something one has to deal with.

Ones happiness comes from within, but sometimes a change of location can jumpstart that.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Chinese don't typically differentiate between nationality, race, and culture. Younger Chinese people typically have a more modern view and don't see those things as being inseparable, but most Chinese over, say 30, combine all of those things into one. Obviously that isn't reality, but it's just something one has to deal with.

Ones happiness comes from within, but sometimes a change of location can jumpstart that.
Probably. I especially agree with your second paragraph. Happiness does come from within.

Honestly speaking, I don't think black people should move at all. Traveling to different countries? Absolutely!

Move? Probably not. Grass is not always greener on the other side.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 PM

209 posts, read 220,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I can't speak about Europe, but this topic is about why average black families don't move permanently out of the country. Yes, the average black family (even a middle class family) moving permanently to any country in Asia will be discriminated against "in the 'ville."
This video is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtS3hSwq3o

Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It's a shame what harm the left's identity politics strategy has done to race relations in this country. Maybe you are better off leaving.
I actually think it would improve race relations if more educated upwardly mobile blacks relocated out of America.

Other people from different nations would be more exposed to the cream of the crop black Americans, which would actually help create positive stereotypes about blacks in those nations... Kind of like how Asian nations' best and brightest tend to relocate to various nations and everyone from that group is stereotyped as intelligent, ambitious and hard working...

Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,767 times
It's surprising to see people expressing the idea that a black person from anywhere could find a racist-free lifestyle in France or another european country these days. From what I've seen of the way things go, it's not uncommon for large groups of people to paint other groups of people with the same brush, i.e., an arab is a muslim is a black man is a jihadist. Or if he moves in, at the very least he's a drain on public resources and a threat to european cultural identity. Yes black americans visit europe and britain every year and they have a wonderful time and don't express any sense of feeling mistreated. But they're visitors, not ex pats. Please note that I'm not saying that europe in 2017 is for sure problematic for american blacks. I honestly don't know with certainty and I admit it. But I do find it very hard to believe that europe and britain would be particularly welcoming to immigrants of color right now, even if they're from the u.s.

Last edited by LiaLia; 07-06-2017 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 08:09 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
Nothing more than a Cult 45 pipe dream.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I am a Black male, 31, and I've thought about relocating out of America. This is nothing new for me. I thought about this going as far back as my teens. I thought about Canada, the UK, France, Germany, The Netherlands, the Scandinavian nations, Switzerland.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
It's surprising to see people expressing the idea that a black person from anywhere could find a racist-free lifestyle in France or another european country these days. From what I've seen of the way things go, it's not uncommon for large groups of people to paint other groups of people with the same brush, i.e., an arab is a muslim is a black man is a jihadist. Or if he moves in, at the very least if he's a drain on public resources and a threat to european cultural identity. Yes black americans visit europe and britain every year and they have a wonderful time and don't express any sense of feeling mistreated. But they're visitors, not ex pats. Please note that I'm not saying that europe in 2017 is for sure problematic for american blacks. I honestly don't know with certainty and I admit it. But I do find it very hard to believe that europe and britain would be particularly welcoming to immigrants of color right now, even if they're from the u.s.
I've visited Paris, but never lived there. Honestly, it's a total different climate. You don't have the same or even similar levels of race related problems or issues in Paris. I'm not stating that it's a utopia, because it's not, but French people are not the same as White Americans in terms of their general racial beliefs. This is not to say that you don't have racist French people, but I am stating that it's not as common place, as it is throughout America.

In fact, many Black American entertainers and writers actually relocated to Paris during the height of Jim crow in the U.S.

I'm not sure if you ever saw the movie "Paris Blues" --Staring Sidney Poitier and Paul Newman. The movie came out in 1961. It's basically about two jazz musician (best friends) played by Poitier and Newman, who happen to reside in Paris. They meet two teachers who are on vacation in Paris. Poitier and the black teacher start dating and she tries to convince him to relocate back to the states w/ her, because she really wants to be with him, but also wants to return to her school district and fight against racism, but he tells her that he can't deal with jim crow and all of the racism in America. Ultimately, however, he falls in love, and decides that he will return to America, only to change his mind at the last minute, while boarding the train.

The movie seems to highlight that love is simply not enough to make Poitier return back to a racist nation, like America.

Here is the full movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWQ5Oa33U9s

It's very good.

Last edited by Water4Life; 07-06-2017 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies