Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 08:54 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
I don't think that any nation is free from racism. I do however believe there are countries that don't have the same level of racial bigotry and animus as the U.S.

I'm simply tired of the black/white dichotomy that exist in the U.S. I'm also tired of the blatant discrimination and rampant disrespect that's become pervasive throughout this nation.
I've been to a lot of countries and never seen anything like what you're talking about. You're going to find that wherever you go, you will find racism, discrimination, etc. Move to Brazil. You'll be discriminated against because of where you were born. Move to Cuba, Dominican Republic, Aruba or St. Kitts and you'll be discriminated against depending on what shade of Black you are. Move to Canada and people will presume you're a Jamaican, who they are not fond of. Move to France and people will presume you're one of the millions of African migrants. In addition, you won't be able to vote, you'll always be passed up for jobs in favor of natives, you'll get screwed over on prices, you'll struggle to get the basic rights to own property or find employment, etc. Unless you're moving out of the country with enough money to never work again, odds are you will be back and with a whole different outlook on this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:02 PM

209 posts, read 220,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL at this whole post.

Most black people don't "fight white American racism" everyday. We are boring old American people who are black.

I'm black. I've never considered permanently moving to another country. However, I do want to live abroad temporarily for 2-3 years during my 40s or 50s. I'd want to go just for a different experience as I like experiencing new things.
I like experiencing new things as well, but lately, I've grown tired of this particular "experience," therefore I'm now interested in simply moving on permanently.

Quote:
I consider America my country.
America will always be my home country, because this is where I was born, raised and where my family resides, but I don't really feel at home here anymore. It's hard to explain, but I feel like I'm a stranger in America and quite frankly, I don't like the feeling.

I've thought about moving from the East coast to the West coast, but in truth, this will only be a temporary fix for me, because I really want out at this point. I'm some-what fortunate since I work full-time from home, but regrettably, in my line of work, I really need to reside in the U.S. (at this time). Eventually however, once I've saved enough and I move forward with my independent business plans, I will be ready to relocate.

Quote:
You may not know it OP but there is a song called "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" which is considered the "Black National Anthem."
I don't think there are any black American people who don't know the Black National Anthem, though I could be wrong! I attended predominately black elementary schools and let's just say that my teachers ensured that each and every black child was able to recite the anthem by heart.

Quote:
Blacks have been in America just as long as white people. This is our country. Many of us feel much more of a connection to this nation than you do, we just view it differently than you do. I have ancestry in this country going back to the 1600s that I've documented. I consider myself a true American and feel that black Americans have been the main demographic of this nation that has made it actually adhere to the rights and freedoms as declared in our declaration of independence.
At one time I would have agreed w/ you, but at this time, I don't believe this nation is worth fighting for. I think that the younger generation of college educated black Americans should view themselves as global citizens, like everyone else. This is not to state that if one has a great opportunity in the U.S., they shouldn't stay put (for the time being) while gaining experience and earning great money, but I am stating that if one has the opportunity or inclination to try out a different way of life (outside of the american paradigm) they should give it a go and see where it leads. Life is simply too short, to only have one type of experience.

Quote:
Due to that, I'd never want to go to another country. I do not consider myself to be an African since I am not culturally African.
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I never use the term "African American" when posting comments. After visiting several nations in Africa, I can't use the term "African" anymore, since I'm fully aware that there is no such thing as an "African" culture. The continent has many different countries with a wide array of cultures, traditions and histories. Furthermore, since my ancestors have been in the U.S. for over 300+ years, it simply doesn't make sense for me to refer to myself as an African.

Quote:
However, I don't fault any person, black or otherwise who wants to live in another country. I have family members who live abroad and have, some, for decades. They live abroad because they feel they have a better quality of life. A couple of my cousins married people from different countries. One lives in the UK and says she would never come back here because of our crappy healthcare system.
I have two cousins (though they are not close to my family) who reside overseas. One is a professor and the other is in business. They both work in Germany.

Quote:

But your OP sounds like you want to kick black people out of their own country because you know what is best for us to make us happy....That is ridiculous. I bet I have much longer roots in this country than you do since most white Americans are descendants of recent immigrants. It won't make me happy to give up my country after my people and my ancestors fought so long and so hard to give me the opportunities I have today.
That was not my intention at all. I simply think that more of us have to start thinking of ourselves as global citizens. In my opinion, we are too connected and dependent on America. It's time for those of us who have the means to establish those global connections .. and not stay stuck fighting for change.. social justice, etc, because this distracts us from really focusing on our own self improvement and development as human beings.

Last edited by Water4Life; 07-06-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 09:22 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
What is the biggest obstacle in your way at this point? For many, it's fear, as well as finances. I definitely plan to relocate out of America, but I have a really great position at this time, therefore, I'm simply saving..saving..saving (for my future relocation )

I'm not sure of the industry that you work in, but have you thought about looking into working for an American company with positions overseas or possibly becoming an entrepreneur?
Part of it has been fear, and that fear has been linked to finances. I'm not going to just expat somewhere. I need to make sure I can take care of myself when I'm there. I need to make sure a job is lined up for me there, or at the least, I have some kind of business going so that I can make money.

I actually applied for a Canadian work visa. I was turned down due to lack of work experience (this was back in 2012/2013 when I came out of college with a degree but no job).

As for the industry I'm in, my first job was related to processing, confirming, and analyzing field data. However, my specialty is related to geography/geospatial data. I did a limited amount of that at my first full-time job, before a layoff. Right now I'm looking for work.

195 posts, read 177,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I lived outside the US for 20 years. I found many Blacks loved coming to places like the Dominican Republic or Venezuela, but only on vacation. Often times it was seeing places like these that really cemented how great they had it in the US.

If you're Black and live in the US, you're among the more privileged, fortunate people on the planet and you're not likely to replicate that in any other country. If you wake up in the morning with a roof over your head, electricity, running water & breakfast to eat, you're among the top 5% on the planet. If you can criticize your government or leave your country if you wise, you're in the top 4% on the planet. If you're literate and have at least a HS education, you're among the top 3% on the planet. If you have a job, or money in the bank, you're among the top 2%. If you have a car, internet access, a TV, cell phone or any 2 of the 4, you're among the top 1% on the planet.

How anyone could be among the top 1% most privileged, fortunate, born-lucky people on the planet and spend their days complaining about how unjust life has been to them, is beyond comprehension. It's like someone winning $50 million dollars in the lottery & spending every day thereafter complaining that a second winner won $55 million.

Also, If you think you won't find racism in Aruba, St Kitts, France or Canada, you're plain nuts.
This is a mic drop comment if I've ever read one.

It's interesting that I have to hear about all this terrible white racism (or read about it in forums like this) while not experiencing any such thing, to the degree that's being parroted. Have I been discriminated against? Absolutely, in fact I don't believe there exists a person(s) who hasn't experienced it in some form because it's part of the human condition.

However, its being blown way out of proportion for various reasons. I think a major one is the perception that all groups of people are exactly the same, therefore any discrepancy in representation, ANYWHERE is a sign of institutionalized racism.

I make a very good living here, better than most even after my rough start as a juvenile delinquent. As I matured and began to understand how the decisions I made directly impacted my quality of life and the way people perceived my character, I made necessary changes.

I think this is one the greatest countries on this planet. Believing that you're going to find some utopia abroad where people won't make snap judgements about you is extremely naive.
Human Beings are judgemental, every last one us. If it isn't race, its religion, clothes, pedigree, social circle, wealth, job title, tribe, politics, etc.

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
LOL at this whole post.

Most black people don't "fight white American racism" everyday. We are boring old American people who are black.

I'm black. I've never considered permanently moving to another country. However, I do want to live abroad temporarily for 2-3 years during my 40s or 50s. I'd want to go just for a different experience as I like experiencing new things.

But I consider America my country. You may not know it OP but there is a song called "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" which is considered the "Black National Anthem." In that song there is a verse with the following lyrics:

The bold/blue portion of the lyrics, pay special attention to the last line - true to our "native land." That "native land" is actually America.

Blacks have been in America just as long as white people. This is our country. Many of us feel much more of a connection to this nation than you do, we just view it differently than you do. I have ancestry in this country going back to the 1600s that I've documented. I consider myself a true American and feel that black Americans have been the main demographic of this nation that has made it actually adhere to the rights and freedoms as declared in our declaration of independence.

Due to that, I'd never want to go to another country. I do not consider myself to be an African since I am not culturally African.

However, I don't fault any person, black or otherwise who wants to live in another country. I have family members who live abroad and have, some, for decades. They live abroad because they feel they have a better quality of life. A couple of my cousins married people from different countries. One lives in the UK and says she would never come back here because of our crappy healthcare system.

My spouse would like us to move to Canada for the same reason lol.

But your OP sounds like you want to kick black people out of their own country because you know what is best for us to make us happy....That is ridiculous. I bet I have much longer roots in this country than you do since most white Americans are descendants of recent immigrants. It won't make me happy to give up my country after my people and my ancestors fought so long and so hard to give me the opportunities I have today.
True. African Americans have much deeper roots in America than the Average white American.

In 1860, 90% of African Americans were native born. No other group was anywhere close to that number.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I lived outside the US for 20 years. I found many Blacks loved coming to places like the Dominican Republic or Venezuela, but only on vacation. Often times it was seeing places like these that really cemented how great they had it in the US.

If you're Black and live in the US, you're among the more privileged, fortunate people on the planet and you're not likely to replicate that in any other country. If you wake up in the morning with a roof over your head, electricity, running water & breakfast to eat, you're among the top 5% on the planet. If you can criticize your government or leave your country if you wise, you're in the top 4% on the planet. If you're literate and have at least a HS education, you're among the top 3% on the planet. If you have a job, or money in the bank, you're among the top 2%. If you have a car, internet access, a TV, cell phone or any 2 of the 4, you're among the top 1% on the planet.

How anyone could be among the top 1% most privileged, fortunate, born-lucky people on the planet and spend their days complaining about how unjust life has been to them, is beyond comprehension. It's like someone winning $50 million dollars in the lottery & spending every day thereafter complaining that a second winner won $55 million.

Also, If you think you won't find racism in Aruba, St Kitts, France or Canada, you're plain nuts.
Again, I'm not stating that racism doesn't exist in many other countries, but the level of racism and the type of racism is very different than American racism. The racism in the U.S. is largely targeted at black Americans. It's hard to explain if you are not black American, but the majority of black Americans are fully aware of what I'm referring to.

I tend to read and travel a lot, therefore again, I'm familiar with life outside of America. I'm very familiar with Aruba, in particular, because my family and I often vacation there at least once every year. It has become a favorite little getaway for us.

Lastly, I'll just state that even though I earn a very good income, reside in a good neighborhood, and have various material possessions, I'm very much unhappy with my life in the U.S. Its become far too mundane, and quite frankly, I could do without the materialism and consumerism culture that has become the norm in America.

Though I attended predominately black elementary schools, I've earned my undergrad and grad degrees at "elite" predominately white colleges. Throughout the years, I've had a myriad of educational and career experiences in the U.S. and now I'm really at the point where I can't wait to just move on from this failed experiment. Honestly, it's probably best that I move on, since I've become so jaded about the state of affairs. I'd gladly turn in my so-called American "lottery ticket" for true peace and tranquility.

Last edited by Water4Life; 07-06-2017 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Part of it has been fear, and that fear has been linked to finances. I'm not going to just expat somewhere. I need to make sure I can take care of myself when I'm there. I need to make sure a job is lined up for me there, or at the least, I have some kind of business going so that I can make money.

I actually applied for a Canadian work visa. I was turned down due to lack of work experience (this was back in 2012/2013 when I came out of college with a degree but no job).

As for the industry I'm in, my first job was related to processing, confirming, and analyzing field data. However, my specialty is related to geography/geospatial data. I did a limited amount of that at my first full-time job, before a layoff. Right now I'm looking for work.
Good luck to you. Have you considered teaching abroad?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Compared to the rest of the world, yes, Black Americans would have it very good. However, a Black American living in one of the USA's ghettos wouldn't know that. When you live in the ghetto, that is all you live around. And even as a middle class Black American who isn't in the ghetto, sometimes even I lose faith.

There is one more thing I need to point out. While I do have it better than most of the world, this country is what I know. I live in the USA. Black Americans, for the most part, live in America. I am judging myself based on what the majority has. I look at myself vis a vis, what Whites have, what Asians and Hispanics have in comparison to Blacks. I worry about how I will be perceived vs any non-Black persons. I'm thinking about what I have compared to everyone else in THIS COUNTRY.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Good luck to you. Have you considered teaching abroad?
Yes. I applied to some positions in China and South Korea. Never heard back. I will soon look back into that again.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
LOL at this whole post.

But I consider America my country. You may not know it OP but there is a song called "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" which is considered the "Black National Anthem." In that song there is a verse with the following lyrics:

The bold/blue portion of the lyrics, pay special attention to the last line - true to our "native land." That "native land" is actually America.

My spouse would like us to move to Canada for the same reason lol.

Every time a black poster you're unfamiliar with posts something you don't like, you give them a jab because you've mistakenly identified them as being white.

You're comical. Predictable and comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies