Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am well aware of the lack of representation of Asian people in Hollywood, politics and the media. And I also complain about that in my real life as well.
Well Hollywood grossly overrepresents Jews and LGBT and I don't hear any objection about that. Moreover, Asians (South, East, West and South/East Asians), while grossly underrepresented, seem to persevere despite that fact.

Now, I am not going to let your statement go as everyone else does because we are in the situation we are in precisely because no one challenges statements like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But you neeed (SIC) to stop making blanket assumptions about what black kids learn and are taught by their parents. Black kids learn society is against you and you have to work twice as hard to get half as much. And it's been that way for 400 years. Is it not painfully obvious that people are sick of that and see the rvideicne (SIC) that it is not actually improving. Even though newer immigrants are benefitting from all of of our hard work for civil rights and equal rights - yet we are still left out. Did you miss the giant disparities in criminal justice for the same crimes and the school to prison pipeline that calls the police on black kids that have temper tantrums and gives time out to the non-black kids that do the same thing?

The game is rigged yet still the vast majority of black people work hard, take care of their loved ones and live their lives. Yet you want to infer that all black people are like whatever media stereotypes are out there. And refuse to acknowledge how stereotyping goes both ways. Spitting out the model minority myth means we ignore all of the Asian groups that aren't doing well, the high rates of Asian poverty and the current anti-everyone sentiment running through this administration that will deport those evil Mexicans and all of the Asian illegals too.
What young black kids learn is precisely the problem. This notion of victimization is perpetuated by the media for political purposes. Blacks then teach it to their kids and teach them illogical things like the fact that the police are out to commit genocide against them despite no evidence to support such a ridiculous claim.

One of the most basic things taught in self awareness is the notion that we need to move past our triggers and persevere. The grievance industry creates an exception for blacks and infantilizes blacks. No blacks alive today were slaves and no person alive today was a slavemaster. We are also a nation of more recent immigrants, as is the case in my family. As for past post-slavery racism, yes, it existed and is justifiably condemned, but the US corrected it. It is well past time for blacks to do what Asians and Hispanics are doing, and overcome vestigial challenges. We all have challenges to overcome.

Oh and "temper tantrums" is a code word for violence, which is not permissible. As for the disparate punishment meted for black children, Obama/Holder went after that leading to disastrous results whereby "restorative practices" went forced on schools which are entirely ineffective for out-of-control kids. Black school kids are now not disciplined and that is not the solution. The solution would be at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faolY5_hnIc

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 07-08-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:13 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Exactly ^

You had a rough history in this country and there are still some against you, get over it, stop being a victim because if you try hard, you can succeed regardless of your skin color. Stop playing the race card every time you fail. Understand the world isn't 100% fair, instead of feeling sorry for yourself and then feeling like you are entitled to free stuff from random strangers or the government. Realize wearing a suit properly and using proper grammar isn't acting White, it's called being a professional and it goes the same way around the world, not just in this country. Liberal politicians like to make minorities feel like they have no chance in the world without them, it's just a greedy heartless way to guarantee votes.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Please tell me how this thread turned into a top issues facing black americans....black parenting issues conversation.

You people are a real piece of work.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
This isn't about Asian parenting versus African American parenting, however. The girl in the video looks white.

Somebody gets it.

Wow.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well Hollywood grossly overrepresents Jews and LGBT and I don't hear any objection about that. Moreover, Asians (South, East, West and South/East Asians), while grossly underrepresented, seem to persevere despite that fact.

Now, I am not going to let your statement go as everyone else does because we are in the situation we are in precisely because no one challenges statements like this:

What young black kids learn is precisely the problem. This notion of victimization is perpetuated by the media for political purposes. Blacks then teach it to their kids and teach them illogical things like the fact that the police are out to commit genocide against them despite no evidence to support such a ridiculous claim.

One of the most basic things taught in self awareness is the notion that we need to move past our triggers and persevere. The grievance industry creates an exception for blacks and infantilizes blacks. No blacks alive today were slaves and no person alive today was a slavemaster. We are also a nation of more recent immigrants, as is the case in my family. As for past post-slavery racism, yes, it existed and is justifiably condemned, but the US corrected it. It is well past time for blacks to do what Asians and Hispanics are doing, and overcome vestigial challenges. We all have challenges to overcome.

Oh and "temper tantrums" is a code word for violence, which is not permissible. As for the disparate punishment meted for black children, Obama/Holder went after that leading to disastrous results whereby "restorative practices" went forced on schools which are entirely ineffective for out-of-control kids. Black school kids are now not disciplined and that is not the solution. The solution would be at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faolY5_hnIc
You are right, no one alive right now was a slave. But maybe you forgot that many peoole alive right now fought for civil rights, and school and housing segregation didn't end until the 1970s. Or maybe you missed those stories from a few years ago where major banks paid out a settlement because they were overcharging black mortgage holders compared to white peers with similar credentials? But hey, racism is over.

As for the temper tantrums? I do mean literally and figuratively. Sadly black kids can go to jail for soeaking out of turn in class and other kids are encouraged for similar behavior. And as we move up the escalating behavior chain, the situation is pretty dire. Unfortunately our society perceives any behavior from black people more aggressively than similar behavior from other groups. It happens on this forums all the time.

It is also always open season on criticizing black people. Even when it is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:24 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,136 times
Can't rep BMW anymore, but I do agree with some of what he's said about minorities buying into this idea of being victimized. Growing up there was always unspoken expectations for grades and behavior. Anything below a B was unacceptable as a final grade. My parents aren't asian, just professionals who taught me to work hard.

Back to the thread topic, I don't understand how Pride has become this circus of sexuality and shock value. I thought gays wanted to be perceived as equal, normal people just like any other person on the street? But somehow the celebration has turned into a bunch of sexual slogans, nudity and dildos/vag. Ok, so I guess a normal parade of rainbows wasn't enough?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
So we go from Pride related topics and being gay, etc...

To black vs asians, and race cards, etc...

Come on now...

Old 07-09-2017, 09:17 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
There is a lot of pathetic sexual insecurity on display in this thread. Oh, those gays, they are hurting us with their underwear.
Definitely. We can go to nearly any beach in the US/world and see men walking/dancing around in small speedos. There are woman who walk/dance around in swimsuits that cover less than this. And it's nothing

Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
And this was appropriate parenting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIiiBtW46AI

Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Can't rep BMW anymore, but I do agree with some of what he's said about minorities buying into this idea of being victimized. Growing up there was always unspoken expectations for grades and behavior. Anything below a B was unacceptable as a final grade. My parents aren't asian, just professionals who taught me to work hard.
Don't know about that -IMO the folks who cry and whine the most about victimization are white folks who feel threatened by "other people". They love to assign scapegoats such as affirmative action, Asian people with money who buy into upscale neighborhoods, complain about schools that have a lot of high achieving Asian students. And they have the gall and nerve to admonish people of color to stop complaining about racism and discrimination? And to call folks who raise real issues of injustice "snowflakes"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies