Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what to make of this story. I mean, here are the lyrics:

Quote:
“You wanna know what’s more important than throwin’ away money at a strip club? Credit/ You ever wonder why Jewish people own all the property in America? This how they did it.”
Now knowing black people as well as I do (better than anyone that ISN'T black), I understand what's going on in Jay's mind. To be frank, African Americans have ALWAYS believed that all Jews are loaded. We don't attribute this to any nefariousness, we just tend to think that they have an innate ability to sniff out the best opportunities to get the cheddar whether that be through business, management, the professions, entertainment or investment opportunities. Black folks have always attributed almost magical powers to Jewish people when it comes to obtaining wealth.

Rappers, many of whom tend to glorify wealth, have dropped tons of lines over the years about how they're "getting money with the Jews" and so on. It's mostly bluster and fantasy, but i read on more than a few websites that these lyrics haven't escaped many Jews that pay attention to popular culture. However, they almost always attribute those lyrics to insensitivity and not Anti-Semitism. I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly.

These rappers think they're being complimentary (we all want money, right?), and some probably don't care either way how it's taken. But there is a disconnect there, and maybe there should be a discussion between rappers and Jewish groups as to how hurtful these words apparently are. Maybe hurtful is too strong, but I don't think that African Americans understand why this stereotype causes some Jews to squirm a bit.

Anti-Defamation League Criticizes JAY-Z for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:00 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Words are words.

I'm more concerned with his past of shooting and stabbing people.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:59 PM

Well, it looks like Jay Z has a defender:

JAY-Z anti-Semitism: Guy Oseary defends rapper

Old 07-07-2017, 03:23 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Oh boy...

Grab the popcorn and your helmets. This is going to be a good one.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:31 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not sure what to make of this story. I mean, here are the lyrics:

Now knowing black people as well as I do (better than anyone that ISN'T black), I understand what's going on in Jay's mind. To be frank, African Americans have ALWAYS believed that all Jews are loaded. We don't attribute this to any nefariousness, we just tend to think that they have an innate ability to sniff out the best opportunities to get the cheddar whether that be through business, management, the professions, entertainment or investment opportunities. Black folks have always attributed almost magical powers to Jewish people when it comes to obtaining wealth.

Rappers, many of whom tend to glorify wealth, have dropped tons of lines over the years about how they're "getting money with the Jews" and so on. It's mostly bluster and fantasy, but i read on more than a few websites that these lyrics haven't escaped many Jews that pay attention to popular culture. However, they almost always attribute those lyrics to insensitivity and not Anti-Semitism. I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly.

These rappers think they're being complimentary (we all want money, right?), and some probably don't care either way how it's taken. But there is a disconnect there, and maybe there should be a discussion between rappers and Jewish groups as to how hurtful these words apparently are. Maybe hurtful is too strong, but I don't think that African Americans understand why this stereotype causes some Jews to squirm a bit.

Anti-Defamation League Criticizes JAY-Z for
Is stereotyping of Jews OK if it is insensitive and not Anti-Semitic? How do you tell the difference?

Old 07-07-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Is stereotyping of Jews OK if it is insensitive and not Anti-Semitic? How do you tell the difference?
To the first question, I can't speak for the Jews. If we're talking about matters of insensitivity rather than bigotry or racism, then it's more nebulous...therefore more complicated.

On the second question, it's one of those things where one knows it when he sees it. But again, ask a Jew. I posted a link where a Jewish guy defended Jay by saying the exact same thing I said.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
To the first question, I can't speak for the Jews. If we're talking about matters of insensitivity rather than bigotry or racism, then it's more nebulous...therefore more complicated.

On the second question, it's one of those things where one knows it when he sees it. But again, ask a Jew. I posted a link where a Jewish guy defended Jay by saying the exact same thing I said.
I'm a Jew. Stereotyping of Jews is always ignorant and usually anti-Semitic.

You posted about Rappers' lyrics regarding Jews and money, what did you say..... Jews sniff out opportunities..... and said you "wholeheartedly" agreed Rappers' lyrics regarding Jews were "insensitive" but not "anti-Semitic". Thus my question. How do you tell the difference between the two?

Old 07-07-2017, 04:40 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:

You posted about Rappers' lyrics regarding Jews and money and said you "wholeheartedly" agreed Rappers' lyrics regarding Jews were "insensitive" but not "anti-Semitic". Thus my question. How do you tell the difference between the two?
Suppose you should ask him if he thinks stereotyping blacks is racist?

Edit to add:I doubt the promoter who defended his words is an ambassador of your faith as well.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:

You posted about Rappers' lyrics regarding Jews and money and said you "wholeheartedly" agreed Rappers' lyrics regarding Jews were "insensitive" but not "anti-Semitic". Thus my question. How do you tell the difference between the two?
I agree with the bold,

There are plenty of people on this site who love to do the same of black people.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Suppose you should ask him if he thinks stereotyping blacks is racist?

Edit to add:I doubt the promoter who defended his words is an ambassador of your faith as well.
Can we stay on the subject of the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies