Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:53 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You can't fix stupid or lazy. If some young men don't want to grown up, it is their decision.
I can't rep you again

Here's what I see on top of trading life experiences for a couch/chair/recliner some red bull and snacks...

I'll go to bars, night clubs, even just out and about like simple grocery shopping or getting stuff at Walmart... everyone has their head buried in a cell phone. Walking around or standing around like zombies. I predict anyone 20-30 years old today, will be hump backed by 40.

There's so much to do and see... yet... walk with your head at a 45° downward angle walking across a parking lot to go into a store. Or sit on a stool or stand sipping a drink from a straw head buried in a phone only to break to take a selfie (because narcissitie is too difficult to spell)

I use mostly voice to text so I'm not looking down at a phone...

It's sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Those with the sense to get a college education or learn a skilled trade ARE gainfully employed. These are the guys who think they should be handed a job. Yet they lack the requisite education and skills for a job that pays a living wage. Leave them to their games, they aren't men, they're boys.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:31 AM

143 posts, read 98,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You can't fix stupid or lazy. If some young men don't want to grown up, it is their decision.
Please define "grow up" for us? If someone has a job, is paying their bills, has no criminal record, etc i don't see any problem with how they spend their free time. It's not really any of my business.

It's not much different than so-called "normal people" that waste all their spare time on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc etc. All adults waste lots of time nowadays (to varying degrees) due to the ubiquity of smartphones, but only video games are "lazy" or "socially unnacceptable"?

If by "grow up" you mean get married, pop out a few kids, get a big mortgage, rack up a bunch of debt, work a high-stress job you hate but that pays the bills, try to "impress" other people, etc.... that kind of path is a sucker's game in 2017, it's just not worth it and young men don't get anything "in return" for going down that route. The very high 50-70% American divorce rate certainly makes it an unwise choice to invest all that time, energy, money on something with such a high likelihood of failure. Even being a "video game shut-in" that rarely leaves the house sounds like a better idea than that version of "growing up", it's certainly much much cheaper.

Last edited by UbbyJuice; 07-09-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 10:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
We’re losing a whole generation of young men to video games | New York Post

Well when finding a job that can support you is more difficult than learning astrophysics what do you expect? We have been placed in a state of arrested development by the baby boomers refusal to retire and companies refusing to hire someone without ten years of experience to flip burgers.
When someone posts a link to a Yellow Journalism 4th grade level reading newspaper from NY, people need to simply take it as fake news. People have been playing video games for decades. This is just another spin on the couch potatoes. People who want to work will make the effort to do so.

A retiring educated and experienced baby boomer is not easily replaced by some entry level graduate with nothing. You are not in arrested development when you think you can do better than me without the experience that I have. I'm a baby boomer who sold my IT related company to a group of what I consider as youths who wanted my client list (none are in US) and paid premium for it. They didn't want me or my sub-contractors as we're all old in their views. The deal was done and finished as of 7/1 and I've retired at double nickel. Eight days in and they're already having problems servicing my client list. If they don't get their act together within the next two months, then .......

Old 07-09-2017, 10:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
As a Gen X'er I'll let those two groups fight it out.

What a snowflake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The merits of that are debatable(as the OP illustrates), but that's not what I was responding to.
The reply you got was confusing as it didn't address your post or even the topic of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
As the parent of a child who has always been an avid gamer, who was crowned world champion video gamer in 2011, who has been in the Guinness Book for gaming records nine years in a row, who graduated college *** Laude, who is also a competitive power lifter and who is gainfully employed, I think this article is complete bullsh*t.
Proud pop and rightfully so, but don't assume everyone is like your child. There are subsets of a couple generations who seem to be socially inept except in a virtual world. It's an addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I have two gamer sons who are excellent young men having served/serving our country in a SCIF environment. But we do have concerns that the article raises regarding human interaction. College and studies are no problem and the work ethic is far beyond what I see in their peers. I am not worried about their ability to succeed but more about the possibility of loneliness down the road.
Kudos to you for being realistic about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
This is true, the economy is so crappy it just "isn't even worth it anymore" for a lot of young men to "try hard", i don't blame them to be honest. The real blame lies with society, the economy, the politicians, etc for making everyday life soooooo unbearable that many people are turning to the virtual world (hi-tech gadgets, social media, video games, distractions, etc) to cope.

Over on Twitch, all sorts of young men do nothing but play video games for 10-14 hours a day and live off of the donation and subscription money. Must be a good life, but then again it also highlights the failings and rot/decay of our modern society that the economy is soooooo crappy, sooooo lacking in REAL opportunity and upward-mobility for young men that dedicated streaming sites Twitch even exist at all

Then there is also the issue of having nothing to look forward to, marriage isn't what it used to be and fails over 50% of the time, in the past young men at least had eventually having a family to look forward to, but in 2017 there is no point as it will probably be a waste of money.

You must be fun at a party.

Life isn't dour, most of the Millennials have gotten through the tough years and are settled in good careers, are on their own, and making good money. It's not 2008/2009 at this point. Unless they took basket weaving as their major or are remaining in rural America while looking for a job post-graduation, they'll be able to land a job. But those would be prohibitive factors even during the most robust economy.

Never excuse lack of motivation - it just exacerbates the problem.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:56 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
When someone posts a link to a Yellow Journalism 4th grade level reading newspaper from NY, people need to simply take it as fake news.
The story was carried by hundreds of different news organizations. I posted a few from Daily Wire, Reason, and CBS News earlier in the thread. Here's one from the New York Times:

Why Some Men Don’t Work: Video Games Have Gotten Really Good | The New York Times

Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The story was carried by hundreds of different news organizations. I posted a few from Daily Wire, Reason, and CBS News earlier in the thread. Here's one from the New York Times:

Why Some Men Don’t Work: Video Games Have Gotten Really Good | The New York Times
Welcome to 2017 where if you don't like what you hear it's fake news...

Kinda like when I posted the Humvee the navy seals were driving flying the Trump banner and everyone cried it was fake and photoshopped when IT WASN'T LOL

Old 07-09-2017, 11:00 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
An 'obsession' might indicate that the hobby has grown out-of-hand and become unmanageable. If you find that you no longer feel you have control over the hobby in question, you could assume that it is an obsession.

Personally, i find playing online games, video games, or whatever games incredibly boring. But like I said earlier, I can only speak for myself anyway, to each her own.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

I honestly cannot understand posters who would rather spend two minutes decrying a story based on the source of publication instead of spending them doing a search to see if the same information is posted on the one or two sites they'll find acceptable.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:

They're a part of a generation of babies who live with their helicopter mommies into their 30's. Both my sons went out into the world, made their career choices and are doing just fine and I don't even have to support them. They have their gaming machines and are smart enough to know when it's play time and when it's not and they're of the same age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies