Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:13 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times

Advertisements

Some of these young folks are making good money doing this. My nephew pulls down an average of $20k...per month(!) streaming himself playing games. He finished college last yr and couldn't find a job that would pay rent. Now he owns a home nicer than mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 11:15 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Yeah and then eventually a generation comes along that doesn't. Every generation before the fall of Rome all said the same things about the up and coming generation and they were all wrong, until they weren't. I'm not saying this new generation is the fall of Rome generation, but just saying "every generations says the same thing about the new one" doesn't cut it.
I agree. The idea that every generation is essentially the same as the one that came before it, just because, is fatuous.

Civilization is changing at a rapid, accelerating pace. At some point we will usher in widescale automation.

PwC's latest estimate is that around 38% of current roles in the US will be fully automated by the year 2030. Add 20 or 30 years to that and include AI that is wildly superior to any human in any endeavour (so that newly-created roles are by default better left to the AI) and Universal Basic Income as the means of subsistence and you start to see how much change we're in for.

Witness how addicted people, particularly the 16-22 year olds here in 2017, are to their tiny smartphones and social media and extrapolate that to the VR and AR technology and social media (metaverse) of 2040 and envision humans who were exposed to VR and AR as toddlers and you start to see how differently future generations will view the world.

Think about how the ideas of private property and privacy have already changed a lot and then imagine a world of many billions of internet-connected devices with cameras the size of Lincoln's nose on a penny feeding information to a central database, and think about the city of the future that groups like the Davos World Economic Forum and the Bilderberg conference seek -- perfect algorithmic equality, zero privacy, zero ownership of property or any 'things.' Picture someone who's grown up with the technology that enables digital telepathy, thought projection, mind-reading, collection of thoughts as digital data -- the things that Elon Musk and Facebook are working on right now. How will they be different? How will *their children* be different?

We have to understand things change and things are going to change radically more in the next 40 years than they have in the past 80. A future generation will preside over the coming inconsequentiality of humanity. Some like to view this as a coming golden age of intellectualism, science, art, enlightenment. I'm a little more pessimistic, to say the least. At the very least I think we should be able to talk about these things.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 07-09-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 11:16 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Some of these young folks are making good money doing this. My nephew pulls down an average of $20k...per month(!) streaming himself playing games. He finished college last yr and couldn't find a job that would pay rent. Now he owns a home nicer than mine!
This is my dream I have plans for all sorts of geeky posts and videos. I would love to make it so we could pay off our house early and go see the world. An advantage of working online is that you can do it on the go

Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Think about how the ideas of private property and privacy have already changed a lot and then imagine a world of many billions of internet-connected devices with cameras the size of Lincoln's nose on a penny feeding information to a central database, and think about the city of the future that groups like the Davos World Economic Forum and the Bilderberg conference seek -- perfect algorithmic equality, zero privacy, zero ownership of property or any 'things.' Picture someone who's grown up with the technology that enables digital telepathy, thought projection, mind-reading, collection of thoughts as digital data -- the things that Elon Musk and Facebook are working on right now. How will they be different? How will *their children* be different?
I thought this was a well-written and slightly disturbing piece.

A letter from 2044 warns of the true privacy dystopia
Quote:
Technology feels like a living organism that wraps tightly around us, enveloping every second of our day, everywhere we go.
Quote:
The idea that people could have freedom to do as they please and control what is known about them has disappeared.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Most people I know who play video games balance it with other aspects of their lives. I think its a greater detriment to teenagers. Teenage guys play many more hours of video games than guys in their twenties do and it comes at the expense of social interaction. Back in the '90s and early '00s, video games were a social activity. You invited your friends over and played Goldeneye on the N64 with a split screen. Today it's all online and removed in-person interaction from the equation entirely.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Hopefully they can get a job and can afford to call a plumber when the toilet backs-up.
They don't have to as long as mom and dad are still taking care of them. I used to wonder, why are women dating these men who are still living with their parents and the answer is, the women still are living at home, too. What's the difference if they play video games in their childhood bedrooms or do something else in their childhood homes? I think, what's going on is that they are so spoiled and immature, that they rather have the comforts their mother and father provide than their freedom that means they might have to pay rent, utilities and cook and clean, do their own laundry, get a roommate or two and live in a less nice neighborhood they can afford. The government doesn't help by making 26 the new 18. But mom and dad or mom or dad are just as guilty.

In other words, I don't think the video games are the problem. The problem is failure to launch.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And really, people need to stop blaming the baby boomers and Millennials for everything that's wrong with their lives.
Blaming is one of many tactics used to avoid taking responsibility.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:25 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Hey we're losing a generation of men to video games because video games don't play hard to get

Seriously, dating a marriage are tougher than ever these days.

Everyone's a serial dater, and it's expensive as hell for men with no guaranteed return on investment.

People can deny it all they want, but men pay far everything....even as things become more expensive. Every date costs 50-100 bucks and all most women do is sit back and decide when to give up the cooch.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They don't have to as long as mom and dad are still taking care of them. I used to wonder, why are women dating these men who are still living with their parents and the answer is, the women still are living at home, too. What's the difference if they play video games in their childhood bedrooms or do something else in their childhood homes? I think, what's going on is that they are so spoiled and immature, that they rather have the comforts their mother and father provide than their freedom that means they might have to pay rent, utilities and cook and clean, do their own laundry, get a roommate or two and live in a less nice neighborhood they can afford. The government doesn't help by making 26 the new 18. But mom and dad or mom or dad are just as guilty.

In other words, I don't think the video games are the problem. The problem is failure to launch.
True and the longer they stay dependent the more difficult it is to live independently, or to live with another person who isn't mom doing the laundry and cooking, etc. Failure to launch isn't new but it's gained a lot of traction.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
We’re losing a whole generation of young men to video games | New York Post

Well when finding a job that can support you is more difficult than learning astrophysics what do you expect? We have been placed in a state of arrested development by the baby boomers refusal to retire and companies refusing to hire someone without ten years of experience to flip burgers.

It is not the video games. we had video arcades a long time ago that took up a lot of our time.
It is the ability to be connected 24/7
That little device attached with Velcro to their hands. They cannot put it down to do anything with both hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies