Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I think you might have misunderstood. Or maybe I misunderstood you. I have no issue with the video games or sports as long as a balance is maintained. My point to the other poster is about being realistic in the possibilities be it professional in video games or sports. The percentage of those who go on to careers in these fields is very very low.
Sorry, it was just a tangent I went off on a little, though it is still relevant to the thread. People can have a balance, but no one overall is really worrying about sports fans. Always about the detriments of video games period, no matter how much or how little people play or how well they are managing their responsibilities.

I also believe there's more chance these days of being a professional gamer vs. a pro athlete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Hmm, no I assumed by there being a "funding ban" and it being "public schools" that it would be related to organized sports programs...
I didn't see anything about a funding ban in the post from BentBow. To tell the truth I haven't studied the issue in the UK. On a conceptual level I'm against doing away with competitiveness, but I know that's slowly happening.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:01 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I didn't see anything about a funding ban in the post from BentBow. To tell the truth I haven't studied the issue in the UK. On a conceptual level I'm against doing away with competitiveness, but I know that's slowly happening.
Hmm don't know where I read funding into that - perhaps a bleed in to my feeble mind from another thread I was concurrently reading. Regardless, my assumption was that it was regarding organized sports rather than ad hoc sports. Perhaps I was wrong?

Old 07-10-2017, 01:10 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Basically, they can teach teamwork. Know what else can teach teamwork? Video games.

That is about it, and teamwork can easily be taught in other ways that

A) Could impart lessons to everyone, not just the small subset of students on the sports teams
B) Expend far less resources that sports currently do in our public education system

Everyone knows that school sports are REALLY about entertainment - anything else is just trying to put lipstick on a pig.
Basically. Competitive school sports in public education are a waste of time and money. If parents think their precious cinnamon roll is a star athlete who will break into the pro's, they can do that on their own time. It's disgusting to know that there are school districts in America with a bigger sports program than science program. That there are schools that have little to no foreign language department but pretty stadiums for a tiny segment of their student body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the UK, all competitive sports are BANNED in public education and people below the age of 21.

They don't want to offend and hurt the feelings of the LOSERS!
Watch the damage this does to the lazy generations to come.
Whereas in the real world, there is no lesson that competitive sports can teach that cannot be taught in other, more effective, ways. Whereas in the real world, many publicly-funded schools and school districts spend more money per athlete than they do per math student.

America merely rewards mediocrity in letting "star athletes" skate through education with **** poor grades. Far more pathetic, imo. Schadenfreude is watching some local "star athlete" ignore their academics because they could kick or catch a ball to later find out that they are low-tier when faced against other local "star athletes" from across the country.

I'd rather more people play video games than get sucked into grade school competitive sports.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:15 PM

218 posts, read 172,106 times
I would kill to have this guys collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjjGblGtiU

OMG!

Old 07-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Whereas in the real world, many publicly-funded schools and school districts spend more money per athlete than they do per math student.
And that right there is the recipe for creating an idiot nation.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:16 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
I don't think this is really about big-time funding of stuff like football in the US south or letting star athletes skate academically. I found this:

Winning banned at more than half of school sports days | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Fifty-seven per cent of parents surveyed said their children’s infant and primary schools hold sports days with a ‘non-competitive theme’.
I just think shielding people from the concept of competitiveness and the concept of losing is the wrong way to go.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Basically. Competitive school sports in public education are a waste of time and money. If parents think their precious cinnamon roll is a star athlete who will break into the pro's, they can do that on their own time. It's disgusting to know that there are school districts in America with a bigger sports program than science program. That there are schools that have little to no foreign language department but pretty stadiums for a tiny segment of their student body.

Whereas in the real world, there is no lesson that competitive sports can teach that cannot be taught in other, more effective, ways. Whereas in the real world, many publicly-funded schools and school districts spend more money per athlete than they do per math student.

America merely rewards mediocrity in letting "star athletes" skate through education with **** poor grades. Far more pathetic, imo. Schadenfreude is watching some local "star athlete" ignore their academics because they could kick or catch a ball to later find out that they are low-tier when faced against other local "star athletes" from across the country.

I'd rather more people play video games than get sucked into grade school competitive sports.
Not true. If you were on my highschools sports team you were to hold a B average. 80 or better or turn in your jersey.

And you weren't to get in any trouble or you sat the bench and boy did you pay for it...

Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Not true. If you were on my highschools sports team you were to hold a B average. 80 or better or turn in your jersey.

And you weren't to get in any trouble or you sat the bench and boy did you pay for it...
Was C's at least in the school I attended. But none of that addresses that the "C" work was often "D" or "F" work. How many of those B's should have actually been C's/D's... As well as those B's often being in sub college prep remedial courses that basically anything with a pulse could pass...

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 07-10-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
It seems like gender roles are reversing. More women graduate college and increasingly they struggle to find mates with the same stature. White women have declining life expectancy due to rapidly rising deaths from alcoholism and suicide. More women are become workaholics while more men are dropping out of the work force and 'playing house'. Another issue is the rapid decline of religion as a central point of life. If you aren't religious then you believe your existence is all about enjoying the pleasures of life before you die (which is simply an extended nap). So why have children or work harder? Why not spend what money you make on you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies