Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I hate to disappoint you but, at 74, with 60 years of smoking, almost 60 years of consuming alcohol (sometimes immoderately) coffee very immoderately, I have no health issues (and good bones)and take no meds of any kind.
Perhaps, based on my anecdotal testimony and excellent health I should run all over City Data and encourage people to take up my lifestyle?

No I would not do that but go ahead if you want to...tell people to smoke, drink etc. Glad you are good at 74, my dad lived to 96 and never smoked but drank every day of his life...my son in law died at 55 from 30 yrs of smoking. A friend in her 80's now chain smokes and hunched over with osteoporosis, and an old friend lived to 93 smoking and eating cheese and suffering with macular degeneration..she was about blind at death. There are stories everywhere. Keep doing what you are doing, for you it sounds like it's working oK....the rest of the story will unfold won't it. And if you enjoy supporting the tobacco industry or maybe you grow your own, that's good too...they need your support.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,390 times
When you think of drugs with lots of interactions, St John's Wort is a common example. It increases the amount of an enzyme which metabolizes many drugs. It actually has a similar mechanism of action as a number of prescription anti-depressant drugs.

Supplements are not free from interactions or side effects. Some antioxidants have been shown to increase cancer risk. High amounts of vitamin C do nothing.

Supplements are regulated like food. They are assumed safe. It's very hard for the FDA to remove one from the market.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
When you think of drugs with lots of interactions, St John's Wort is a common example. It increases the amount of an enzyme which metabolizes many drugs. It actually has a similar mechanism of action as a number of prescription anti-depressant drugs.

Supplements are not free from interactions or side effects. Some antioxidants have been shown to increase cancer risk. High amounts of vitamin C do nothing.

Supplements are regulated like food. They are assumed safe. It's very hard for the FDA to remove one from the market.

You can read different points of view from hundreds and have to make your own decision. SJW was only problem out of 25 yrs of taking supps. I'd try anything before hopping on a pharma drug. I take higher doses of Vit C and grape seed extract, powerful antioxidants, daily.

There are exceptions as we know when one needs to go the pharma route.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You can read different points of view from hundreds and have to make your own decision. SJW was only problem out of 25 yrs of taking supps. I'd try anything before hopping on a pharma drug. I take higher doses of Vit C and grape seed extract, powerful antioxidants, daily.

There are exceptions as we know when one needs to go the pharma route.
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/antioxi...troduction.htm

"Several decades of dietary research findings suggested that consuming greater amounts of antioxidant-rich foods might help to protect against diseases. Because of these results, there has been a lot of research on antioxidant supplements. Rigorous trials of antioxidant supplements in large numbers of people have not found that high doses of antioxidant supplements prevent disease."

Old 07-14-2017, 09:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post

i will dispute the vitamin c comment. 2000mgs o vitamin c will reduce the length and severity of colds and other illnesses. and yes i have taken that much vitamin c. it is not a cure all though as some would have you believe.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:49 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i will dispute the vitamin c comment. 2000mgs o vitamin c will reduce the length and severity of colds and other illnesses. and yes i have taken that much vitamin c. it is not a cure all though as some would have you believe.
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/

"Oral vitamin C produces tissue and plasma concentrations that the body tightly controls. Approximately 70%–90% of vitamin C is absorbed at moderate intakes of 30–180 mg/day. However, at doses above 1 g/day, absorption falls to less than 50% and absorbed, unmetabolized ascorbic acid is excreted in the urine."

"Overall, the evidence to date suggests that regular intakes of vitamin C at doses of at least 200 mg/day do not reduce the incidence of the common cold in the general population, but such intakes might be helpful in people exposed to extreme physical exercise or cold environments and those with marginal vitamin C status, such as the elderly and chronic smokers. The use of vitamin C supplements might shorten the duration of the common cold and ameliorate symptom severity in the general population, possibly due to the anti-histamine effect of high-dose vitamin C. However, taking vitamin C after the onset of cold symptoms does not appear to be beneficial."

The upper limit of tolerance is 2000 mg a day, at which point side effects like diarrhea may happen.

High doses of vitamin C by mouth are pretty much a waste.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/

"Oral vitamin C produces tissue and plasma concentrations that the body tightly controls. Approximately 70%–90% of vitamin C is absorbed at moderate intakes of 30–180 mg/day. However, at doses above 1 g/day, absorption falls to less than 50% and absorbed, unmetabolized ascorbic acid is excreted in the urine."

"Overall, the evidence to date suggests that regular intakes of vitamin C at doses of at least 200 mg/day do not reduce the incidence of the common cold in the general population, but such intakes might be helpful in people exposed to extreme physical exercise or cold environments and those with marginal vitamin C status, such as the elderly and chronic smokers. The use of vitamin C supplements might shorten the duration of the common cold and ameliorate symptom severity in the general population, possibly due to the anti-histamine effect of high-dose vitamin C. However, taking vitamin C after the onset of cold symptoms does not appear to be beneficial."

The upper limit of tolerance is 2000 mg a day, at which point side effects like diarrhea may happen.

High doses of vitamin C by mouth are pretty much a waste.

I personally know Vit C helps my bowels. So most days I take 2-4K spread thru the day.

Talk about a waste, I've thrown pharma drugs away. Had a script for Tylenol 3 I think it was an constipation was so bad, I threw the drugs away, but did crush some up and add them to some of my ointments for joints.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:42 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Why is this thread in POC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies