Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:36 PM

106 posts, read 111,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
What a load of s***.

Get off your arse and create your own opportunities.

an indivisual can create many things I was thinking on the macro level so dont be an A$$

on the macro level there is serious issues because not every person has an oppurtunity it is to lopsided there is not a big enough middle class.

I am smrt and creative i still think I will be successful.

Have you not any compassion with your comment this is example of just a plain smart a$$ comment and a waste of your time.

Last edited by Southbound2017; 07-11-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,204,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound2017 View Post
its not going to mach every experience it does not match my experience I had some chances. I joined the navy when I was 18 I went to college I worked at a bank when they started lowering staff due to less brick and mortar.

I worked on a tug boat, I served tables I hussled I am hussling right now delivering food. I worked as a case manager for homeless and people with sever mental health conditions. So it is my fault I did not stick to one of those things but I felt at the bank one I did not like it but there is always and still is rumors that there will not be personal bankers because everything can be done online.

I have not researched but just from common knowledge and tsalking to older people my generation had it hard I am not talking individually I am talking on the macro level. YOu posters on here start talking about yourself you need to think on the macro level I do not care about you I am saying there is a systematic problem and thirty years from now our society is going to be in a bad place when gen W does not have any pensions or social security benefits. Think the homeless problem is bad now?

When did the mental health problems start getting so bad? When were mass shootings starting to be so often in this generation this generation my generation is sick.
Okay, can you provide evidence that generation w is faring poorly on a macro level, compared to other generations? My anecdotes are no less valid than yours.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:53 PM

653 posts, read 813,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My stepdaughter was born in 1982.

She started a business in NYC in 2010.

Now she's a multimillionaire.

Paid off her college loans REAL fast.

Lotsa hard work, a solid education and plenty of organizational skill. Now she has about 500 people working at her company. And they're well paid with good benefits. If I was a young guy, I'd love to work there. She's modeled the work atmosphere after google.

It's working.
Congrats on the outlier!

Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,778,077 times
Quote:
I am almost forty I have had a lot of jobs the one I messed up the most is when I got out of the navy I should have stayed in IT but I was sick of computers after working on them so much in the navy anyways.
in 2009 i worked on an assembly line making the cockpits for the worlds largest tractors for Caterpillar and gues how much I was making 10 dollars an hour that was not good enough that is when I went to a university using my GI Bill i chose the wrong degrees sociology and psychology worked in social services some jobes 10 dollars an hour. Not going to get masters so will go back to a trade school or start my own business.
FWIW a master's might be easier than a trade school at this point since it would be quicker and you could look into master's programs that are in demand in your area.

I have a liberal arts degree and did get a master's but I've never actually worked in the field of my undergraduate degree - I have an English Literature degree. At one point I wanted to be a professor, but I also minored in business and had a concentration in technical writing and so have worked mostly in finance, business and supply chain, especially after my experience with the bank while I was in college.

So the degree is not the problem IMO it depends on what you do with it. I will note though that educational counseling is important. Too often young people are not provided with education and career counseling needed to make an informed decision on what to pursue in college. I'll also note that since I volunteer with young college bound and current college students that often times they don't listen to advice. They want to "follow their dreams" and they think a job of their dreams will fall into their lap at a specific company that they want to work for (lol, the naivete of youth!) It is hard to convince them to be more practical and to look at BLS data (bureau of labor statistics) about the jobs that they want and degrees they are seeking versus how in demand or not in demand those jobs are and the qualifications, etc.

Luckily most listen, but some don't. I figure it is good at least they have been advised (multiple times BTW). Maybe you weren't advised well or went against the grain in order to help people. Most of the students I mentor and advise who want to study psychology and sociology want to help people. I have them look up BLS info on the careers they are seeking and often time they chose another major based on those results and what is "in demand" or predicted to be in demand and how much people in those professions make on an annual basis at specific levels of their careers. I always tell them you can help people and still make good money. I want all my "kids" as I call them to have a career that starts out in at least the $40k range for our area because that is a solidly middle class income for where we live (it is above median income range).

ETA: For those studying psychology in particular I stress the importance of getting an advanced degree and how they should start college on a 5 year Bachelor to Master's track in order to get it all done in 5 years. I also tell them that to be a psychologist takes a lot of training and dedication. Those who don't have those personal characteristics in being dedicated, I advise a different route and always suggest that they can go back to school and get a PhD if they later desire but that it can take a decade of their life in school. I do the same for those studying sociology and advise them to get an internship in government and that to make good money they need to have a solid background in statistics for that field. I initially wanted to do sociology as an undergrad but changed my mind because I didn't want to take statistics. However I later went back for graduate school in economics, which is basically sociology on a better pay scale. I'd look into an MS in Economics if I were you and you are solid on you math skills (or can get solid in them within a few months of study). Analyst jobs are usually plentiful, or you can study Actuarial Sciences, as that is a hot field as well. Both are math heavy.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 07-11-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM

I will look for more statistics and studies. As of now it is my opinion I have thought about it a lot I was also wondering if the hyper change in technology effected "gen W" for instance when I was in highschool graduated 98 we had hardly no computer experience I remember our art class got a windows 98 computer it was the first time I saw something with that type of interface had a commodor 64 at home all we used it for was video games.

How did growing up with tech that changed so much from the nineties to 2000's effect people growing up at this time.

I feel tech kind of slowed down over the past ten years for instance smart phones have not changed to much.

But someone that turned 18 around 2000 you want from not having a phone to seeing others with phones getting a phone at maybe the age of 22 all you could do was talk and slowly text.

where I am going with this is there was a time period of people becoming adults was very different around the turn of the millennium. How did 9/11 effect young adults of GEN "w". I feel mentally it was hard.

You may argue what about the greatest generation? How were they able to cope? well that is another problem with GEN W why cant we cope? Maybe our society changed greatly from 1995 o 2005 and it had an effect on a generation.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,204,611 times
Quote:
I will look for more statistics and studies. As of now it is my opinion I have thought about it a lot I was also wondering if the hyper change in technology effected "gen W" for instance when I was in highschool graduated 98 we had hardly no computer experience I remember our art class got a windows 98 computer it was the first time I saw something with that type of interface had a commodor 64 at home all we used it for was video games.

How did growing up with tech that changed so much from the nineties to 2000's effect people growing up at this time.

I feel tech kind of slowed down over the past ten years for instance smart phones have not changed to much.

But someone that turned 18 around 2000 you want from not having a phone to seeing others with phones getting a phone at maybe the age of 22 all you could do was talk and slowly text.

where I am going with this is there was a time period of people becoming adults was very different around the turn of the millennium. How did 9/11 effect young adults of GEN "w". I feel mentally it was hard.

You may argue what about the greatest generation? How were they able to cope? well that is another problem with GEN W why cant we cope? Maybe our society changed greatly from 1995 o 2005 and it had an effect on a generation.
Every generation has had its share of challenges that other generations didn't face. Invariably, there always has been and always will be a subset who are either dealt a cruddy hand, or never quite get their act together... or fail to develop resiliency and coping skills.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Okay, can you provide evidence that generation w is faring poorly on a macro level, compared to other generations? My anecdotes are no less valid than yours.

I also wonder about the evidence and will note that as a black, what I call "young Gen X" that my generation of black Americans and older Millenials, I know is the most educated and well employed generation of blacks ever in the country. Income-wise we make way more money than our parents did and we are the most educated generation since statistics on black educational attainment have been kept.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:

It's sad your school system didn't train you for the "new millenium" like mine did. I went to a poor to working class, highly integrated, inner city school from jr. high to high school. We got Windows computers when I was in 8th grade back in 1993. I graduated in 1997 and I was training in high school in Microsoft Office Suite. Everyone had to take "keyboarding" on the computers at our school for a semester and learn what was then called "word processing."

We also had the internet in my house and black, super techy/advanced for the time IBM PC. We also had AOL most of my friends had AOL and internet access in the mid 1990s.

So I think your school system failed you or maybe you lived in a more rural area that didn't have as much technological access. I'm from a mid-sized city and I feel that I am much more tech savvy than younger Millenials in particular because most of them, at work, don't know how to use Microsoft Office suite (especially not Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, or Publisher, they barely know Word).

IMO we "Xennials" are the generation who was the first to experience the technology age. I feel I am much more knowledgeable about how to actually "fix" computers and how to use software than the lay Millenial and especially Gen Z as my kid is not being taught much about office software at all. He goes to the same school district I went to but they focus more on Adobe products and CAD and other things today that maybe will be more in our office environment in the future, but I still think they need to know the basics of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). They also us a lot of Google Docs and it isn't the same thing IMO.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:58 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,043,736 times
Quote:
No got it trademarked....
In what country? It's been trademarked in the US for years.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Oh well I will not discuss what variation if any trademarks I have or had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies