Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
A whole lot more ways it is ruining Colorado

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...9931%3Famp%3D1

In 2014 and 2015, nearly $6 million in pot revenues have been distributed to local governments. But the cost of increased law enforcement, drugged-driving incidents, fatal crashes, loss of productivity and a huge spike in gang-related crime bring into question the cost-benefit of those dollars.
If this problem gets too big then the federal government needs to threaten to shut off Transportation funding since it is still a federal crime. Kind of like the initial threat when certain states would not post speed limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,056 times
Quote:
No, I do not think that it is ridiculous.
Addiction can make a person do alot of things. Feeding the addiction comes before family even.

Yes, there was homelessness before Corado had legalized it.

These accounts by people who live there have seen these changes since dope is legal there.
Not just homeless, but trash on the street, peeing on the street. Business' are loosing customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
You can get weed anywhere though. So I don't think that the average pothead is going to move to Colorado and be homeless for weed. Weed may be legal but you can be arrested for things associated with being homeless like loitering, public urinating, etc so I don't see the point.
It seems to change the mentality when it is legal though.
Especially for youth.
I agree people can get arrested with things associated with it.
By accounts of people that live there, it is bad. And who wants that?

Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
"Colorado pot law may be causing homeless problems and other issues"

It has, but they don't care. They feel the tax money gained, or the promise of the tax money gained, far exceeds the pesky problem of bums. The only thing you can do is to make sure your state doesn't follow down that path.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If this problem gets too big then the federal government needs to threaten to shut off Transportation funding since it is still a federal crime. Kind of like the initial threat when certain states would not post speed limits.
True good point.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

It has, but they don't care. They feel the tax money gained, or the promise of the tax money gained, far exceeds the pesky problem of bums. The only thing you can do is to make sure your state doesn't follow down that path.
Unfortunately, I think the state I live in will

Old 07-10-2017, 05:40 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
A whole lot more ways it is ruining Colorado

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...9931%3Famp%3D1

Some farmers have expressed alarm over the potential of marijuana growing operations in close proximity to established crops. Plans for a medical marijuana facility in Palisade, a tiny farming town whose main crop is peaches, have peach growers worried about the potential spread of pests, molds and fungi from cannabis to their established orchards. The agricultural implications of the cannabis industry, it seems, were not a consideration at the time it became a legal crop.

The wave of enthusiasm following the passage of Amendment 64 has given way to a drip, drip, drip of unintended consequences. Law-enforcement issues, such as marijuana-intoxicated driving and the illegal movement of vast amounts of cannabis product into other states, are the tip of the iceberg.

Social and law-enforcement issues resulting from the Colorado interstate pot pipeline prompted Nebraska and Oklahoma to file lawsuits against the state, citing the fact that marijuana commerce violates federal law and increases the burdens of law enforcement in other states.

Other symptoms of Colorado’s pot culture include increased use among teens, resulting in educational problems in middle schools and high schools, a spike in “edibles”-related emergency room visits, consumption by children and pets resulting in illness and death and regulatory confusion surrounding public consumption and enforcement.

Colorado’s addiction to cannabis revenue may prove to be the most harmful implication of all. Towns such as De Beque, where cannabis is replacing coal and cattle as a means of income, imperil themselves by staking the future on a substance that is still illegal in most states and that half of Americans still regard as a social evil.

In 2014 and 2015, nearly $6 million in pot revenues have been distributed to local governments. But the cost of increased law enforcement, drugged-driving incidents, fatal crashes, loss of productivity and a huge spike in gang-related crime bring into question the cost-benefit of those dollars.

Teen drug-related school expulsions are also on the rise. And the notion that prisons filled with minor drug offenders would be relieved of overcrowding—a selling point of legalizing marijuana—has been blown to smithereens.

Denver’s homeless population has exploded since Amendment 64 went into effect. And there are indications that finite tourist dollars are going more to pot and less to Colorado’s iconic natural wonders.

Cannabis is an intoxicant, proven to be dangerous to adolescents who use regularly, as well as to adults who are addicted to its calming, high-producing chemical, THC. But building a tax empire on a narcotic substance may be a dangerous proposition for the Centennial State.
Hilarious. Nebraska and Oklahoma filed that lawsuit pretty much the moment it was legalized. Have you been to Oklahoma? The most backwards stand and Nebraska isn't far behind.

By the way, polls (I know they are not good unless they benefit your beliefs) show that the majority of this country wants to legalize it.

Teen drug-related school expulsions are on the rise? Proof?

Cannibas is indeed an intoxicant but so is alcohol. Both of them have proven to be dangerous to adolescents. That is why there is a minimum age for both but of course kids will be kids and they will somehow get their hands on it. This is where education comes in and there is plenty of it here.

You do realize the rise in the emergency room visits isn't from the edibles or pot itself? No, I didn't think so. It is from the illegal synthesized pot that can kill you. That is not sold in the stores.

This was a newsweek hit piece from over two years ago. You might want to do a bit more research.

If you drink alcohol even a little bit then you are a hypocrite.

Please provide the "indications" that you claims that more dollars go to pot tourism than to our parks.

Here, I have a movie for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ueMemKuDYs

By all means continue your anti-pot crusade. I think in the end it won't matter because it will get legalized.

Pot is not addictive.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
It seems to change the mentality when it is legal though.
Especially for youth.
I agree people can get arrested with things associated with it.
By accounts of people that live there, it is bad. And who wants that?
What accounts? People you know? How many? 1, 10, 100 people? That is silly. I think out of every 100 people I know or talk to here 90 of them support it. I think you are making stuff up now.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

Now that pot is legal in California and Nevada the homeless are starting to leave.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:45 PM

Pot can also cause Parania

Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Pot can also cause Parania
Then I suggest cons put down the pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies