Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:55 PM

218 posts, read 171,991 times

Advertisements

At 33 I would be considered an older millennial, however, I notice lots of talk complaining about them and all the tech they have, and how awful it is, how it causes everything from kids/teens/adults to be too invested in it and ignoring other aspects of life, to the likes of video games causing them to end up as murdering psychopaths. And like to have a "back in my day x was a lot harder so we were better" excuse.

Now, I am not saying these things can't be issues, but it bothers me for mainly three reasons:

1. Yes, we grew up with lots of technology, but do you honestly think of those born before, say 40s/50s/60s were born today they wouldn't be much different? We are all a product of our environments, sure, but evolution sure didn't change since then. So I find it funny when older people talk about how awful it is people spend so much playing video games, addicted to social media when, had they been born several decades later they very well could have ended up the same.

2. What do they expect us to do? Do they want (ironically enough) us to use our technological knowledge to create a time machine, go back in time and make it so technology doesn't advance?

3. Some people act as if this whole "Spending time on pointless/dumb stuff" instead of the most important stuff is somehow new. Before tech, how often would men spend all their time at bars instead of being with their wife and kids? How often would they spend time gambling all their money away? How often would they do any number of activities that don't involve taking care of their family?

Now I am not calling anyone out, but our generation likes to be a punching bag a lot for I feel often undeserved reasons. Again, I am not saying that there aren't people that end up ignoring important things like family and such due to some technological device, but at the same time I feel people, especially older people can be hypocritical about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times
People are victims !!!

Old 07-11-2017, 12:23 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Every generation complains about the next one. Many times, the things the older generation complains about are things they caused. Take trophies for instance. Millennials get bashed quite often for being "trophy kids" yet baby boomers are the ones that came up with the self-esteem movement in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The "everybody gets a trophy" thing comes out of that.

In terms of social media and smartphones, I think our society is too obsessed with constantly Facebooking everything that sometimes we can't just enjoy life to its fullest. However, technology has brought us a lot of benefits as well. It's all about the person finding a balance that works for them.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 AM

32,068 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
At 33 I would be considered an older millennial, however, I notice lots of talk complaining about them and all the tech they have, and how awful it is, how it causes everything from kids/teens/adults to be too invested in it and ignoring other aspects of life, to the likes of video games causing them to end up as murdering psychopaths. And like to have a "back in my day x was a lot harder so we were better" excuse.

Now, I am not saying these things can't be issues, but it bothers me for mainly three reasons:

1. Yes, we grew up with lots of technology, but do you honestly think of those born before, say 40s/50s/60s were born today they wouldn't be much different? We are all a product of our environments, sure, but evolution sure didn't change since then. So I find it funny when older people talk about how awful it is people spend so much playing video games, addicted to social media when, had they been born several decades later they very well could have ended up the same.

2. What do they expect us to do? Do they want (ironically enough) us to use our technological knowledge to create a time machine, go back in time and make it so technology doesn't advance?

3. Some people act as if this whole "Spending time on pointless/dumb stuff" instead of the most important stuff is somehow new. Before tech, how often would men spend all their time at bars instead of being with their wife and kids? How often would they spend time gambling all their money away? How often would they do any number of activities that don't involve taking care of their family?

Now I am not calling anyone out, but our generation likes to be a punching bag a lot for I feel often undeserved reasons. Again, I am not saying that there aren't people that end up ignoring important things like family and such due to some technological device, but at the same time I feel people, especially older people can be hypocritical about it.
It's just jealousy. Many older people have no idea

Old 07-11-2017, 12:58 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
I'm 68 yo, the mother of sons who are older than you, and I'm on your side.
Here on C-D, I've often told the story of my grandmother and mom, ca early 40s: after their 1st telephone was installed, my grandmother viewed it as the end of the life as she knew it. Grandma was right, that new technology indeed meant the end of neighbors visiting and sharing news face-to-face.

Later as a child of the 1950s, I personally saw it happen all over again. Instead of gathering together on Saturday night and talking, playing music and games, people stayed home and watched TV.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Quote:

Old 07-11-2017, 02:38 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
" Why do so many people like to complain about all the technology millennials have? "

You may have grown up with it, but everybody has it and everybody uses it. I think what people worry about is addiction. Having grown up with it, are they more likely to become addicted? I don't really know. Imho, most age groups would flip out without it, that's not exactly a good thing.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:09 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
I don't mind the technology, it's when they run out in to the road to chase make believe monsters or take constant stupid selfies that they become annoying, and as in any Darwin situation some do not survive to tell the tale having lost their lives taking some stupid pointless selfie to post on social media.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:36 AM

218 posts, read 171,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Why do so many people like to complain about all the technology millennials have? "

You may have grown up with it, but everybody has it and everybody uses it. I think what people worry about is addiction. Having grown up with it, are they more likely to become addicted? I don't really know. Imho, most age groups would flip out without it, that's not exactly a good thing.
Perhaps so, but what is the alternative? Get rid of it and go back to pre-20th century tech?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Talking Why do so many people like to complain about all the technology millennials have?

Quote:

As a certified geezer, I can offer some perspective on this.

The technology is nothing more than a convenient excuse for geriatric griping. It's the ages old antipathy between the elderly and the young with the added twist that "Kids these days have too many gadgets! We didn't need all that stuff and just look how well we did!"

When I was a youngster, TV was brand new and the old timers griped endlessly that we (boomers) were consumed by the boob tube.

Thirty years from now, your peers will find something to slag on the as yet unborn.

So it goes...

Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 68 yo, the mother of sons who are older than you, and I'm on your side.
Here on C-D, I've often told the story of my grandmother and mom, ca early 40s: after their 1st telephone was installed, my grandmother viewed it as the end of the life as she knew it. Grandma was right, that new technology indeed meant the end of neighbors visiting and sharing news face-to-face.

Later as a child of the 1950s, I personally saw it happen all over again. Instead of gathering together on Saturday night and talking, playing music and games, people stayed home and watched TV.

There's nothing new under the sun.
^^^Exactly. It cracks me up when I hear people complain about the changes. This was the exact scenario that I was thinking of. The art of letter writing was left in my grandmother's generation when telephones became the norm.

Society changes and evolves. My parents were rebels because they moved away from family back in the 70's, something that was unheard of back then. Now most people move all over the country, away from family for jobs.

Why we need to insult the younger generation is beyond me. Things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies