Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:54 PM

937 posts, read 699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think too many people want to generalized urban areas in particular but I, too have seen a lot of blight in rural and further out suburban areas.
I wish I had a dollar for ever run down abandon barn and/or farmhouse out in east farmers bumf*ck, most of which are ready to collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:00 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
I wish I had a dollar for ever run down abandon barn and/or farmhouse out in east farmers bumf*ck, most of which are ready to collapse.
The drive from Austin to Houston is particularly depressing.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Just two days ago my old ghetto called out the national guard to help fight blight...

Ohio National Guard to fight blight in Youngstown - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio
That's a good idea. The media stated it was less in cost than their demolition contractor. I wonder how much the National Guard charges. I live in NW Ohio and we have some blighted neighborhoods that need to be torn down too. Luckily they are pretty active around here though on code enforcement so homes get taken down regularly.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It's starting to happen now. We're seeing cities recover but places like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago seem to still not recover from urban blight and other issues. I'm aware that people believe that the real problem with inner cities schools starts in the home. Parents who do not demand that their children tow the line or act with respect are the ones who do not do well. If they're not being held to high behavioral standard in schools and at home then it can transition into adulthood but why do you believe this happens in the first place especially in inner cities? If these cities have gone into such disrepair then why don't the residents in the city come together? What's stopping it? I don't think the bureaucrats are to blame entirely. Corruption and financial mismanagement could be an issue in some places but I wouldn't say it happens in every city. What gives?

If the outcome of cleaning up your city is higher rents and displacement, why bother? Who would shoot themselves in the foot by pricing themselves out of their neighborhood? Poor renters are often negative stakeholders in their neighborhoods, not positive stakeholders.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That's a good idea. The media stated it was less in cost than their demolition contractor. I wonder how much the National Guard charges. I live in NW Ohio and we have some blighted neighborhoods that need to be torn down too. Luckily they are pretty active around here though on code enforcement so homes get taken down regularly.

Why do they need to be torn down? Why can't people who need housing fix them up?

Old 07-11-2017, 01:54 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It's starting to happen now. We're seeing cities recover but places like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago seem to still not recover from urban blight and other issues. I'm aware that people believe that the real problem with inner cities schools starts in the home. Parents who do not demand that their children tow the line or act with respect are the ones who do not do well. If they're not being held to high behavioral standard in schools and at home then it can transition into adulthood but why do you believe this happens in the first place especially in inner cities? If these cities have gone into such disrepair then why don't the residents in the city come together? What's stopping it? I don't think the bureaucrats are to blame entirely. Corruption and financial mismanagement could be an issue in some places but I wouldn't say it happens in every city. What gives?
They are too busy trying to pick up an extra shift to explain to you why they are not taking part in a montage.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why do they need to be torn down? Why can't people who need housing fix them up?
We have a landbank that does surveys of homes here and those that can be fixed up are sold at a deep discount to either owner occupants or investors. The landbank will assist owner occupants in fixing up the homes, or the landbank has its own contractors and they'll fix up the homes themselves and sell them off fully renovated.

Those that are heavily damaged and blighted and they have no historical significance and will cost more to fix than they are worth, are torn down. Our city is tearing down nearly 3000 homes between 2016 and the end of this construction season (fall 2017).

I actually have bought land bank homes and fixed them up and rent them out. I also live in one I bought for less than $10k.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
By getting rid of Republican capitalists that allowed the massive division of wealth in this s*it hole of a country.

We are still waiting for your dictator to "make America great again".
Mostly the hole is in DNC run cities and states.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:13 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
many inner city neighborhoods aka black neighborhoods were intentionally overpoliced and neglected financially. I know in my city certain white neighborhoods had it written in their HOA covenants to restrict blacks who could afford to leave the "ghetto" from living in white neighborhoods. People don't like to talk about this stuff as many of you are probably already cracking your knuckles to deflect to something else, but yeah, things were designed this way and you can't just "bootstrap" your way out of these situations as a community. It's going to take a few generations and some other things have to change. But we can stop pretending small town and rural America are any better.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:35 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
I live in Youngstown, which has already been cited in this thread. There has been some improvement in this city over the last 10 years, or so. A lot of that has been spearheaded by people who decided that this place matters, and have come together to start to make things better.

Unfortunately, most people (wherever they live: urban, suburban, or rural) would rather just ignore the problems in their community; they don't see how they could make a difference. If they have the means, they move away from these problems, because that's the easiest solution, for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies