Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,741,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They'd shoot the cop in the back by any means he tried to handle the dog. But the larger point is that it's the dog that has become the known threat of the moment.

As I said from the start, this is an owner failure. Don't set up your house to summon the police and then keep your dogs outside.
Did you bother to read the original article? The alarm was from a neighbors home and the cop went into the woman's backyard and shot both of her dogs. They weren't attacking him, and they were not the home where the alarm came from.

Like I said, maybe cops should be trained a little differently. They seem to shoot first, at humans and animals, and ask questions later far too much these days. They do this because they are protected by the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 01:04 PM

28,574 posts, read 18,589,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
He even collected his brass for Petes sake. Doesn't go much toward me feeling he was on red alert and worried about suspects in the house. Are we looking at the same situation here? In light of these points I've brought up I'm very confused as to what could possibly have been going through this cops mind.I had always thought that cops were supposed to be trained to analyze and think through potentially dangerous situations.
I have a general problem with police collecting their own brass after the use of their weapons.

If that's not prohibited, it certainly ought to be.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Did you bother to read the original article? The alarm was from a neighbors home and the cop went into the woman's backyard and shot both of her dogs. They weren't attacking him, and they were not the home where the alarm came from.

I read it. Maybe you didn't.

Quote:
Jennifer LeMay posted home surveillance video of the shooting to Facebook, showing what appears to be a Minneapolis police officer firing his gun at two approaching pit bulls in a fenced-in backyard.
After firing, the officer is then seen jumping over the backyard fence.

LeMay says the officer shot one of her dogs in the face and another dog multiple times. Both animals are expected to survive. The dog that was shot in the face suffered a broken jaw.

Police responded to her home on the city's north side after LeMay says her burglary alarm was accidentally tripped by her daughter. The 13-year-old girl then witnessed the shooting.

Woman says police officer responding to burglary alarm shot her dogs

Old 07-14-2017, 01:08 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
I have a general problem with police collecting their own brass after the use of their weapons.

I can agree on that, it should count as crime scene tampering honestly. Preserve the chain of evidence so that the truth can be found independent of that participants in the event in question.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:15 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,741,208 times
Quote:
I read it. Maybe you didn't.
Jennifer LeMay posted home surveillance video of the shooting to Facebook, showing what appears to be a Minneapolis police officer firing his gun at two approaching pit bulls in a fenced-in backyard.

No, maybe I comprehend what was said. The dogs were approaching, not attacking. He was in the wrong yard. He shot first and jumped the wall.

Why didn't he simply jump the wall in the first place?

AGAIN, a case of shoot first ask questions later, and a judge will clear him even with video evidence. How about Kelly Thomas, the cops said ON VIDEO they were going to beat him, they did, he died, and they were found innocent.

When cops are protected for just about anything they do, they tend to become quite aggressive. Our laws are being interpreted however a DA decides, and THAT'S unconstitutional and illegal.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,875,608 times
couldn't they put shock collars on cops to keep them from going into the wrong yard?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
couldn't they put shock collars on cops to keep them from going into the wrong yard?
Couldn't rep but I laughed.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

No, maybe I comprehend what was said. The dogs were approaching, not attacking. He was in the wrong yard. He shot first and jumped the wall.

Check your comprehension.

It was Lemay's surveillance video. That means it showed Lemay's yard. That means the dogs and the shooting shown in the video is in Lemay's yard. And of course, the dog's were Lemay's dogs. And the burglar alarm was Lemay's alarm. And the fence was Lemay's fence.

It's all having to do with Lemay's house, alarm, yard, and dogs. There is nothing to do with neighbors at any point.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:24 PM

18,131 posts, read 15,527,941 times
Quote:

Agreed. As should allowing internal investigations of police shootings. It's leaving the coyotes guarding the chicken coop.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:41 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,641,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, in fairness a domestic dog in a fenced yard is hardly analogous to a crocodile or a shark. That's rather apples and oranges. The dog is in a controlled environment and an approach plan can be sorted out. Not quite like a croc or shark roaming open water. That's where I'm having problems with this situation. It would have been very easy and only taken short seconds for the officer to figure out if there were dogs in the yard. After figuring out there were two large dogs in the back yard that pretty much eliminates a possible avenue of escape for any perp that's in the house and whittle down the areas he needed to check. Entering the back yard wasn't really necessary.

And if there had been perps in the house by opening up on the dogs he handed the element of surprise and all tactical advantage over to them. I just don't see proper possible crime scene/assumption that suspects are present procedure here. In short the cop blew it. He surrendered any tactical advantage and if there had been perps in the house (which safe money assumes there are) they would have been a FAR greater danger than the dogs, dontcha think? He could easily just made a slight noise or tossed a rock into the yard to see if there were dogs present. Which again he should have just assumed there was, and knowing the dogs were there considered the back yard as being covered.

It's an ingrained habit for me personally to announce my presence at a closed gate. I take it as a gimme there's going to be at least one dog in there. The cop lost any control over the situation when he jumped the fence sight unseen. The entire scenerio is just full of holes and errors in judgement. The cop created a situation where he was facing double trouble without back up. Had there been intruders in the house and they were armed they could have easily just come out and shot him in the back yard.

He even collected his brass for Petes sake. Doesn't go much toward me feeling he was on red alert and worried about suspects in the house. Are we looking at the same situation here? In light of these points I've brought up I'm very confused as to what could possibly have been going through this cops mind.I had always thought that cops were supposed to be trained to analyze and think through potentially dangerous situations.
You are assessing the police action within the framework as it exists today in our culture relating to dogs. I'm not taking issue with that assessment.

I'm taking issue with the framework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies