Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:06 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"I'm not going to be a Republican anymore," Scarborough said. "I've got to become an independent."

The conservative pundit said the Republican Party "betrayed their core values" before Donald Trump won the 2016 election. Scarborough cited the paucity of Republicans who condemned Trump for racism during the campaign.

"Time and time and time again they turned the other way," Scarborough told Colbert. "And they're doing the same thing now. And it's actually disgusting. And you have to ask yourself, 'What exactly is the Republican Party willing to do? How far are they willing to go? How much of this country and our values are they willing to sell out?'"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rty/470584001/

Those are the questions I asked myself as well. I was registered as a Republican for a brief time, but when I saw that Trump was becoming the clear choice of the party last year, I had to change my registration to independent. I felt embarrassed to be associated with a party that would support Donald Trump.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Those are the questions I asked myself as well. I was registered as a Republican for a brief time, but when I saw that Trump was becoming the clear choice of the party last year, I had to change my registration to independent. I felt embarrassed to be associated with a party that would support Donald Trump.
Sorry to burst your bubble..most IND voted for Trump

Old 07-12-2017, 01:32 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I was a lifelong Republican until Trump. (Although I always voted my conscience, not party).
I lost so much respect when they nominated him....and that so many people in the party could turn a blind eye to so many things. I could not stay either. That...and the Alt right part of the party is scarier
than any Stephen King novel that I have ever read!

Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Hypocrites is all I see. People attack President Trump for the same things they say/do in private when among friends/family, yet then hypocritically cry foul on when they are in public pretending to be members of polite society.

As for Scarborough, I say do what you have to do. I'm a Republican for the convenience of voting in the GOP primary and no other reason. While I am a constitutional conservative and am more prone to vote for the GOP as that's the party most inclined to put constitutional conservatives on the federal/state judiciaries, I hate both mainstream political parties and can't stand politics as usual.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:24 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,265,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I was a lifelong Republican until Trump. (Although I always voted my conscience, not party).
I lost so much respect when they nominated him....and that so many people in the party could turn a blind eye to so many things. I could not stay either. That...and the Alt right part of the party is scarier
than any Stephen King novel that I have ever read!

so you didn't have issues with both Bushes, Mccain and Romney and their globalism of endless wars and endless occupations, open borders and growing the federal government but you have issues with Trump?....lol

I love when a so call Republican uses the talking points of the left and mentions Stephen King who is a die hard Democrat that hates conservatives.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:25 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so you didn't have issues with both Bushes, Mccain and Romney and their globalism of endless wars and endless occupations, open borders and growing the federal government but you have issues with Trump?....lol

I love when a so call Republican uses the talking points of the left and mentions Stephen King who is a die hard Democrat that hates conservatives.
That's the thing I'm not getting. People were willing to stick with Republicans who gave us massive debt, war, etc., all because they were "polite?" Sry, but that's not good enough for me.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times
I would have and wanted to register as an ind. but if I had I couldn't have voted in the primary.

I would vote for the candidate I wanted with no regard for party. They both suck, and no viable 3rd party.

Bye Joe smoo

Last edited by phma; 07-12-2017 at 03:23 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I'm a libertarian and I voted for Trump. Not that I liked him or think that he'll be an outstanding POTUS( not like his predecessors were, either, they sucked), but the alternative was .... unimaginable.
I voted for McCain and would gladly take that vote back if I could. Not that I'd vote for Obama, he was.... an even worse choice.
Really, there's getting to be less and less distinction between the two parties so Scarborough could fit in with either the GOP or the dems.
Trump's biggest selling point is that he's not really a republican, he's as close to an independent as we've ever gotten with a POTUS. That's why there's hope and that's why he's hated by the DC establishment.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post

I am not a "so called Republican" I was a Republican.
You are making a lot of assumptions on who I voted for there.
Like I said, I always voted Conscience....not party.
I don't believe in towing a Party line, no matter what.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 AM

9,137 posts, read 5,798,959 times
I thought liberal Joe left awhile ago.

Me, I'm not a Republican, I just vote that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies