Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times

Advertisements

No, of course not.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Not a liberal but we all have biases to one degree or another. Personal quirks and opinions do make someone a "bad" person. Malice and evil intent must be present along with action to push someone over into that category.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
SJW Rubbish.

Note that the word racism ends with the suffix, ism, which denotes an ideology or doctrine. In other words, an idea.

Anyone can be a racist. All that is necessary to be a racist is to believe that race accounts for a person's character, intelligence, and competency. A person's majority or minority status has NOTHING to do with how he or she thinks or what he or she believes with respect to the function of race on any person's character, intelligence, and competency.

You really need to consult a dictionary:

Racism

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others

the belief that people's qualities are influenced by their race and that the members of other races are not as good as the members of your own, or the resulting unfair treatment of members of other races

the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others

Where in any of these standard definitions of racism is any element of a person's status as a member of the majority or minority population?

You cannot just make up your own definition of a word that already has a perfectly good definition! Don't be a Humpty Dumpty!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jZl-S1Apq0h4KQ

Racism is so complex it can't be reduced to a dictionary definition

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-12-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 10:19 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
For example would you consider someone like Archie Bunker a good or bad person. Personally I would think someone like Archie would be a good and decent individual. Even Meathead when saying farewell to Archie said "I Love You Archie". The point is that we all have short comings and faults but most of us are good and decent people inside. And you liberals should not be so quick to demonize folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-4P7vfBmMk
I'm more lenient towards people from the 1950s when it comes to bigotry because it was so ingrained in the culture then. A person had to be pretty left wing in order to oppose racism. LGBT rights were virtually unheard of.

In 2017, there is absolutely no excuse for it whatsoever.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
For example would you consider someone like Archie Bunker a good or bad person. Personally I would think someone like Archie would be a good and decent individual. Even Meathead when saying farewell to Archie said "I Love You Archie". The point is that we all have short comings and faults but most of us are good and decent people inside. And you liberals should not be so quick to demonize folks.
Well, it depends.

My mother was racist, but like Archie, her racism consisted mostly of talking trash in response to news stories. She knew no blacks personally, nor very many hispanics. She got a lot of pushback from her family on this, but really, that's the extent of the problems she caused. But never in a million years would she have deliberately harmed another person. I consider her pretty much an ordinary person, neither a saint nor a devil. Many of my older relatives were like that. I certainly loved them, but it was in spite of their racism.

But people who do stuff like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Michael_Donald

They are AWFUL people, regardless of how often they go to church, donate to charity, volunteer for the fire department, mow the neighbor's lawn, or how much they love their kids and dogs.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:31 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Racism is so complex it can't be reduced to a dictionary definition
It is not complex at all, and it already has a perfectly good definition.

Any attempt to add or alter the definition is just Humpty Dumptyism and should be rejected.

Arguing that a term can mean whatever we want it to mean is a recipe for confused idiocy, which is what we have now. Its the reason so many are confused and believe that they see racism everywhere.

It does not help the situation. And its stupid. And the article you linked to is idiotic revisionism. Written by a Humpty Dumpty.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:37 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

My mother was racist, but like Archie, her racism consisted mostly of talking trash in response to news stories.
Unless your mother believed that a person's character, intelligence, and competency is a function of that person's race, your mother was not a racist.

She may well have believed that black people or hispanic people or Jewish people or Polish people are this or that. But, its likely that she believed that they were this or that due to their particular culture rather than race.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-4P7vfBmMk
Not really, at least in my eyes. I've dealt with bigots and racists in my life. They are a detriment to me. I will demonize bigots and racists because they do not make the world a better place. I've been on the receiving side of bigotry and racism, so I feel perfectly justified in looking at them as bad persons.

And I wouldn't want Archie Bunker as a neighbor. I don't need those kinds of persons in my life.

Now, answer this. Why are you trying to make this case for racist/bigoted types as to say "we shouldn't judge racists and bigots"?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Archie was part of the family. You can put up with more stuff with them.
Anyway, he's not even a good example for the point. A real racist would have disowned his daughter for marrying a Jew, not let them live rent free. He also wouldn't be having minority and gays in the house. He was the type that you tell your company "don't pay attention to him" and go on about your visit. He's prejudice which is different cuz prejudice can be changed by exposure and experience.

Last edited by hellob; 07-12-2017 at 09:41 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodtrucks View Post
A question to conservative: Could you maybe learn to spell?

Would Archie Bunker think you're a moron?
Keep score of who abuses grammatical and spelling errors on this message board -- not typos -- and get back to me.

I appreciate your concern for spelling though. I'm more inclined to write it off to typos most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies