Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:34 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is a horrible analogy. Your neighbor's heroin can't kill anyone who doesn't do heroin. The same can't be said of her gun.
LOL your neighbors gun can't load a magazine chamber itself and kill someone. I've tried this, laid my every day carry on the table, insulted it, said some vile things about its mother it didn't do anything. Just laid there like the lazy piece of metal and polymer that it is. Same with that 1911. Called it a miserable old fool too heavy for its own good. Even talked crap to the bullets. Nope. It didn't do anything.

Your neighbor can kill someone with a gun, or with a hardcore drug.
which would you rather push?

Hardcore drug or Guns?

Can you take game to feed yourself and your family with heroin?
Can you defend your life family and property with heroin?

Which would you rather spend your money on?
A drug that kills your vital organs clouds judgement and doesn't let go?
A pistol/rifle/shotgun box of ammo glasses hearing protection and targets?

Pick one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Excellent news. Drug users and addicts should not be criminalized. It's an issue for the health departments of America, not the police departments.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:38 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Don't be silly. If a heroin addict had a gun, it would be likely sold or traded for their drug of choice.

Far more likely to try to walk out of Kohls with 3 Kitchen- aid Mismasters or steal from a relative.
No they wouldnt. My scumbag junkie cousin was quite successful with a butchers knife at getting money and items to pawn/trade for his habit. If he had a gun I'm sure he'd have used it to get what he wanted or shoot you as much as look at you for the money in your pocket.

Edit to add: They're not potheads who generally are harmless and just want to play video games and pig out. No way are junkies harmless. Spread disease with used needles and would do anything for their next score once they've become hooked.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:42 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Meth Addicts rejoice!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I live near a heroin infested town and the crime is mostly theft. The junkies aren't committing violent crime against the normal citizens. There are some junkie on junkie assaults but the idea that they will kill you to get a fix is exaggerated. Heroin is a relatively cheap addiction so it's more of an endless cycle of trying to get $50/day.
I have been an on again/ off again volunteer at a hospital detox/ treatment center for too many years. I never met a violent heroin addict. Most might be inclined to steal my wallet out of my purse and then help me look for it.

Most don't have the physical strength to cause damage and a gun is worth money and dope costs money.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:51 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
No they wouldnt. My scumbag junkie cousin was quite successful with a butchers knife at getting money and items to pawn/trade for his habit. If he had a gun I'm sure he'd have used it to get what he wanted or shoot you as much as look at you for the money in your pocket.

Edit to add: They're not potheads who generally are harmless and just want to play video games and pig out. No way are junkies harmless. Spread disease with used needles and would do anything for their next score once they've become hooked.
The more extreme prohibitionists paint the behavior of users, the more they make the case for decriminalization.

I know you should never say never, but treating the problem through the criminal justice system isn't working, never has worked, and never will work.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
My oldest brother has been on Heroin for about 15 years. It all started with aback injury he had at work. They gave him pain pills and it went down hill from there. He began stealing from our family. Pawning everything. He eventually went to Prison. He came out clean. I gave him a job working for my business I own. Within 5 months he was back on it again.

We tried everything to get him help. He just doesn't want it. Some of these people just don't want to quit.
Your's is a too common story.

His life. His choices. His consequences. Respect this.

You/ your family did everything to help and probably then some.

Rehab/ treatment and prison tend, more often than not, to be the pause that refreshes. I have had more than one addict explain to me they need heroin the way a normie needs their next breath.

Opioids/ opiates rewire the brain to protect and sustain addiction.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'd rather not take my chances being around people so desperate that they are willing to die for the drug. Which all heroin users risk every time they shoot up. If they don't care about their own lives why should they care about anyone else's. Junkies kill people by getting other people to try the stuff, they love having company in their addiction and lifestyle.

I am surprised how normal some heroin addicts actually look. One I know was a body builder. Last week I got the old gas station beggar, but he looked like a regular guy and his story was incredibly elaborate.
Most opiate/ opioid addicts do not want to share and do not recruit.

Many will strongly advise others from taking it up.

Most I have known know are reasonably articulate, persuasive and compelling in their manipulation of others.

Others have repeatedly hit what seems to be " rock bottom" only to keep on digging.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Has everyone forgotten that there are Federal laws making these drugs illegal including the sale and distribution of these drugs? Do you think the Federal government is going to sit on their hands and allow meth, heroin, and cocaine to be legalized at a state level?
Just because they choose to look the other way with pot, that doesn't mean they're going to do the same with harder drugs.
Contrary to the title of this thread, Oregon is not legalizing hard drugs. They seek to change their state Minimum Sentencing for first timers in posession of small quantities.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Contrary to the title of this thread, Oregon is not legalizing hard drugs. They seek to change their state Minimum Sentencing for first timers in posession of small quantities.
And make the penalties misdemeanors instead of felonies.

Its almost like no one actually reads the real data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies