Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:33 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times

Advertisements

I'm torn on this topic. I fully support a safety net for those who have done the right things yet end up in unfortunate circumstances due to layoffs, injury or whatever reason. Yet I certainly know firsthand there are people gaming the system. Sadly, the mother of my stepson's daughter is one of them. She left my stepson and their daughter for a year and a half and took up with another guy and had another daughter with him. I know she doesn't work (not sure if he does), but their housing is paid for, the child's healthcare, EBT, etc., all based on the daughter. The boyfriend lives there on the down low of course because that would threaten the benefits. Now all of a sudden she is reinserting herself into my stepson's daughter's life to get additional benefits. Not only from the state, but from him. She now has the baby three days a week - he has her four - and he has to pay her child support on top of the benefits she gets from the state now for two kids.

The problem is how to design a system that doesn't incentivize people to have more children in order to qualify for benefits while still providing a safety net for those who need it but are not simply trying to take advantage. I don't believe it is right to let innocent children who did not ask to be born go hungry, without housing or healthcare, etc. There is no easy answer, or we'd be doing it. The best thing I have come up with - and it is far from perfect - is to condition receipt of child-based benefits on proof of birth control use. It would have to be something like an IUD, Depo shot, etc., not condoms or foam that you would simply have to trust someone to use every time. In order to get benefits the applicant would have to show proof that she is using one of these types of doctor-implanted or injected birth control. The birth control would be provided by the state without charge.

There are some obvious flaws, religious objections, allergies, etc. But my thought is that this would at least allow aid to continue to benefit the kids that have been born while hopefully cutting down on additional kids that require state assistance. Once the parents get back on their feet and want more kids they can stop using the birth control and the aid is cut off.

This system could of course also be gamed....sadly there is no perfect. But just because there is no perfect doesn't mean we should turn our backs on kids in need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 04:57 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I'm torn on this topic. I fully support a safety net for those who have done the right things yet end up in unfortunate circumstances due to layoffs, injury or whatever reason. Yet I certainly know firsthand there are people gaming the system. Sadly, the mother of my stepson's daughter is one of them. She left my stepson and their daughter for a year and a half and took up with another guy and had another daughter with him. I know she doesn't work (not sure if he does), but their housing is paid for, the child's healthcare, EBT, etc., all based on the daughter. The boyfriend lives there on the down low of course because that would threaten the benefits. Now all of a sudden she is reinserting herself into my stepson's daughter's life to get additional benefits. Not only from the state, but from him. She now has the baby three days a week - he has her four - and he has to pay her child support on top of the benefits she gets from the state now for two kids.
Everything can be gamed. That's how life works.

The problem is how to design a system that doesn't incentivize people to have more children in order to qualify for benefits while still providing a safety net for those who need it but are not simply trying to take advantage. I don't believe it is right to let innocent children who did not ask to be born go hungry, without housing or healthcare, etc. There is no easy answer, or we'd be doing it. The best thing I have come up with - and it is far from perfect - is to condition receipt of child-based benefits on proof of birth control use. It would have to be something like an IUD, Depo shot, etc., not condoms or foam that you would simply have to trust someone to use every time. In order to get benefits the applicant would have to show proof that she is using one of these types of doctor-implanted or injected birth control. The birth control would be provided by the state without charge.

There are some obvious flaws, religious objections, allergies, etc. But my thought is that this would at least allow aid to continue to benefit the kids that have been born while hopefully cutting down on additional kids that require state assistance. Once the parents get back on their feet and want more kids they can stop using the birth control and the aid is cut off.

This system could of course also be gamed....sadly there is no perfect. But just because there is no perfect doesn't mean we should turn our backs on kids in need.
Why would he have to pay support for essentially 50/50 custody? Why didn't he get a support order when he had full custody?
You can't force someone to take birth control for benefits. That's unconstitutional.
A lot of women have the BF around and keep it on the dl bc you're dinged for having a BF. It's not perfect but at least the dad is around. What's the other option, report her and the dad leaves? It's not like the Hasidic people who get spiritually but not legally married, have 12 kids and drain the entire county resources.
We all have known someone who was sketchy regarding benefits but you can't base your opinions on the few you know. The majority are the ones who have their back turned when swiping the ebt card bc they know people are judging.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Kids eating is never a bad thing.
Taxpayers feeding, clothing, and housing kids is a bad thing. Lets not forget paying for all their medical expenses.

This isn't about the children, its about lowlife parents.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:09 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
When Wall Street fat cats can make billions by crashing the economy and getting bailed out by taxpayers, I see no reason why people who work 40 hours a week shouldnt earn a living wage.
That's not what happened, and you know it. The Federal Reserve didn't create $2 Trillion in QE to buy Fannie/Freddie MBS for nothing.

Even Barney Frank admitted (naturally, AFTER he retired from Congress) the 2008 financial crisis was caused by HUD ordering Fannie/Freddie to buy $2.4 Trillion in mortgages made to low-income and/or high-risk, credit-compromised borrowers.

Anyone interested in all the facts can read them here, complete with corroboration at the included links:

2008 Financial Crisis - How and Why - Post #109

Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Lol, this is so stereotypical that it reads like a letter to the editor of The Onion.
Logic really pisses off the libs, eh? Robin Hood was not a hero, he was a thief by any measure.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
When did schools become restaurants? Isn't it enough that we have to pay for the birth and ongoing medical care of the biological result of the parents' recreational f**king, house them, provide welfare funding, give them phones, etc.? Let the parents use some of those welfare funds to buy a loaf of bread and some bologna rather than spending it all on weed, manicures and 40s of malt liquor.

You breed 'em, you feed 'em. I wasn't involved in the decision and certainly not involved in the process to create these leeches. Why would I, as a taxpayer, be obligated to feed them? Use some of that money spent on lottery tickets to buy food.
Blew my coffee out of my nose at the bolded text, above. And even though your post is somewhat harsh, I can't say I disagree.

And before anyone goes off on their anti-defunding Planned Parenthood BS, understand that there are MANY TIMES MORE public free and sliding fee scale Family Planning Clinics than there are PP facilities. Provide more funding for those, instead:

https://www.opa-fpclinicdb.com/

Old 07-13-2017, 05:21 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

The problem is how to design a system that doesn't incentivize people to have more children in order to qualify for benefits while still providing a safety net for those who need it but are not simply trying to take advantage.
Mandatory permanent sterilization for those collecting public assistance for more than one year. No additional assistance for any children born (or conceived) during that time. No one is forced to accept the terms, but if you fail to comply you are cut off. Period. No exceptions. Poverty will plummet within a generation. Crime will drop drastically within that same time, particularly amongst younger people.

Seems like a reasonable and effective solution. And the affected can continue with their recreational activities (cited in another post above) - there just won't be any product for the rest of us to pay for.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Taxpayers feeding, clothing, and housing kids is a bad thing. Lets not forget paying for all their medical expenses.

This isn't about the children, its about lowlife parents.
So you have kids who are hungry in school and flunk out, have behavior problems, don't perform to their full potential, etc., the cycle repeats and those issues are FAR more expensive than providing them a cheap or free lunch every day. It IS about the children, and how in the future, those children will be parents. There are plenty of parents who work and still qualify. For example, here are the scales for California:

Income Eligibility Scales for 2016-17 - Rates, Eligibility Scales, & Funding (CA Dept of Education)

Old 07-13-2017, 05:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
I can't remember.... did we have a historically bad global financial crisis somewhere in between 2000 and 2015?

The producers vs takers is so 2008-2012! Right wing populism is en vogue!

The proper economic response to "historically bad global financial crisis" is "pop out FEWER kids".

Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
No correlation between global fertility rates and welfare benefits.

Countries with zero welfare and healthcare have fertility rates in multiples of those in Nordic countries with substantial welfare and healthcare benefits.

The more prosperous and educated s country, the lower the fertility rate and vice- versa.

The US fertility rate is amongst the lowest in the world.

Last I heard, it took a male and female having unprotected sex to produce a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies