Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should declawing cats be legal?
Yes, the cat is my property so I can do what I want with it. 40 36.36%
No. If you're that worried about your couch, don't get a cat. And if it's vicious, surrender the cat to the local ASPCA/pound 70 63.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I used to live in a pretty rural area. Cats that got outside tended to get eaten by coyotes or foxes, regardless of whether or not they had claws. So what's your point?

My cats will live happier, healthier, longer lives indoors than they would have outside. Their littermates have all died by now--with the exception of one that is also an indoor cat.
I guess I think every living thing needs to breathe outside fresh air every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 03:58 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I don't have much of an opinion.

But if we could genetically engineer domestic cats to be born lacking claws (while not upsetting any other gene expression), would that be more acceptable? Kind of a twist on the "if we could grow meat in a vat so that no animal had to suffer would it still be immoral to have meat now and then?" question.
They did the meat growing thing already. One little patty of meat for a hamburger cost thousands to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsqka8QHJfQ

Old 07-13-2017, 04:00 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Without the ability to declaw, there will be a lot fewer cats adopted into homes.
Not sure why they would object to using the nail caps. If that is too much trouble they may not be a great cat owner anyway.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That'd be terrible for those cats. Cats escape all the time, or equally often, are simply abandoned. Without claws, they'd be absolutely defenseless, and probably terrified since they'd know it.
I've had cats for roughly 15 years straight and not once did any of my cats get out of the house. Well maybe I'm just that responsible I guess.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How about cutting off their balls and uterus? That's OK right?
Well there is at least a good reason for it. No fun for Fido of course but unneutered animals do not tend to make the best companion animals.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Well there is at least a good reason for it. No fun for Fido of course but unneutered animals do not tend to make the best companion animals.
So, in essence, it's OK to torture and abuse animals in the most horrible way for our own pleasure.

What's so bad about declawing again?

Old 07-13-2017, 04:11 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Cats that got outside tended to get eaten by coyotes or foxes, regardless of whether or not they had claws.
Yah, a domestic cat with claws is defenseless against a 30 pound bobcat or 30 pound coyote around here. My ex-GF's friend owns a house on Lake Arlington along the canal. She had four cats, all of whom enjoyed an indoor-outdoor lifestyle, until one of them was brutally slaughtered by most likely a bobcat. Ripped to shreds. Looked like the poor guy had *exploded.*

Now they're all indoor cats although last I was over there they get brief supervised visits to the outdoor patio.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yah, a domestic cat with claws is defenseless against a 30 pound bobcat or 30 pound coyote around here. My ex-GF's friend owns a house on Lake Arlington along the canal. She had four cats, all of whom enjoyed an indoor-outdoor lifestyle, until one of them was brutally slaughtered by most likely a bobcat. Ripped to shreds. Looked like the poor guy had *exploded.*

Now they're all indoor cats although last I was over there they get brief supervised visits to the outdoor patio.
That's the thing, if a cat is granted exposure to the outside world, it's only going to want more and more time outside. So you can't expect a cat to only want to go out when the owner wants it to go out. Before declawing a cat, make sure you never let them out ever.

As I mentioned, I've had a number of cats in the past and they were all strictly indoor cats. The ironic thing about strictly indoor cats is, they never want to go outside. They are very happy and content being in the house all the time and having a great view out all the windows. That's it. I took one outside while holding it in my arms once and they really stress out and want nothing more then to get back inside. If the cat ever gets a good taste of the outdoors even briefly, they will continue to want to go out more and more until they always want to be out. So declaw them and you better never let them get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So, in essence, it's OK to torture and abuse animals in the most horrible way for our own pleasure.

What's so bad about declawing again?
We as a society have decided that neutering is best for a non breeding pet. We are also making choices like adopting rescues, keeping pets on our property rather than letting them wander, and getting rid of practices like declawing and docking.

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
They did the meat growing thing already. One little patty of meat for a hamburger cost thousands to make.
What do you mean "already?" Did you watch the brief video you posted? Prices are coming way down (and quality is going up) and will continue to do so over time. Vat-grown meat will almost certainly be an option in the future.

But anyway, my point was the philosophical "thought-experiment" element of the question. If a Vegan (I'm not one) is opposed to consuming a living being's flesh as well as ethical treatment, does eliminating the brain from the equation change things for them -- that kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies