Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastion79 View Post
In the U.S., "teenager" (along with teen, youth, minor, bored youth, etc.) is almost always invariably used euphemistically by our media to describe a specific type of predator. If the article also contains interviews with the teenagers' neighbors and relatives, in which the perps are described as "good boys who are turning their lives around", then it's an absolute certainty they are black.
Yes. The "type of predator" is, invariably, male. THAT'S the common denominator.

Perpetrators of violent acts, whether an acid attack in India or London, honor killings in Canada, suicide bombings in Israel, or mass shootings in Colorado, Connecticut, Virginia, Orlando, Fort Hood, San Bernadino, etc (the list of U.S. mass shootings is a LONG one) are, almost always, men.

Is that your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes. The "type of predator" is, invariably, male. THAT'S the common denominator.

Perpetrators of violent acts, whether an acid attack in India or London, honor killings in Canada, suicide bombings in Israel, or mass shootings in Colorado, Connecticut, Virginia, Orlando, Fort Hood, San Bernadino, etc (the list of U.S. mass shootings is a LONG one) are, almost always, men.

Is that your point?
Not Always.

Mary Konye guilty of acid attack on friend Naomi Oni - BBC News

Life sentence for woman found guilty of acid attack | Central - ITV News

Woman charged with murder after ex-boyfriend died 15 months after 'acid attack' which scarred 80 percent of body - Mirror Online

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-15-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-15-2017, 08:20 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
U.K.: Acid Attacks Become a Gruesome Trend | Time.com

"Early data suggests that the majority of both attackers and victims are white British men, he says, but the motives span from revenge attacks to hate crimes, domestic abuse, gang crime and organized crime. "

Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:

Is that your point?

I didn't say "always," and I didn't mention acid attacks alone. I said men are "almost always" the perpetrators of violence, worldwide. And that's a fact.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
I didn't say "always," and I didn't mention acid attacks alone. I said men are "almost always" the perpetrators of violence, worldwide. And that's a fact.
You said The "type of predator" is, invariably, male.

Invariably is defined as in every case or on every occasion or always.

This is clearly not the case, as women/girls do commit violent acts and are also gang members.

Why are we shocked when women commit violent crimes? | The Independent

Number of women convicted of domestic violence at record high | The Independent

Old 07-15-2017, 03:07 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I read three reports top to bottom and although there have been arrests, there is not one word who they are? Only referred to as "teenage boys". There were 455 acid attacks in London alone in 2016. I wouldn't have a clue where to get some nor how to splash it without hurting myself.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ks-east-london
Did you think you might know them? As in the US, they didn't print the names because they were juveniles. But I'm probably wasting these keystrokes as I'm sure you stopped following this thread as soon as you discovered that the perpetrators were likely white.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:03 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Muriatic acid won't do much to skin. It's a different acid being used.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Radical mennonites.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Well, there you go. Governments trying to control fallen man, prevent crime if you will. There are very tight gun control laws and to a lesser extent, knife control laws https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives the UK. Man being who he is, intent upon evil finds a way.
It seems to me just a sensible precaution not to make dangerous chemicals not too readily available to just anybody.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I read three reports top to bottom and although there have been arrests, there is not one word who they are? Only referred to as "teenage boys". There were 455 acid attacks in London alone in 2016. I wouldn't have a clue where to get some nor how to splash it without hurting myself.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ks-east-london
Oh it's easy enough to get. I'm actually shocked at what you can get on the internet. I contacted one company because they were selling a concentration of hydrochloric acid that is dangerous to use without a fume hood. The company in question sells to home schooling families. They didn't remove the product. I don't know why. I explained that this concentration would never be needed for a chemistry experiment performed by children and that a much safer concentration was all that would ever be needed.

Now splashing it so you miss yourself would be the trick. Think of how easy it is to splash yourself when trying to splash water on someone in a water fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies