Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Is it even possible to call yourself a Muslim if you are gay?
The same way you can call yourself gay and Christian or gay and Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I pray for their continued happiness and safety. Lord knows that some nut job is keen to put a fatwa out for both of those men.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 07-15-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The groom has reveived death threats and was kicked out of mosque.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...036.html%3Famp

I hope he lives to see his anniversary.
Someone will commit jihad on them.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I really don't understand why there are any gay religious people. Why would gay people want to be a part of a group that secretly or even openly hates them and condemns them to hell for their behavior.

It just seems like most gays would prefer to be atheist, agnostic or perhaps Buddhist. Or you know, the other religions that don't want to openly kill you or have you tormented in fire for eternity because of your sexual preferences.

It seems if you could be a strong enough person to figure out your sexual orientation and to be open about it in a hostile religious environment, then you should also be able to figure out that religion is a farce.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:18 AM

487 posts, read 545,181 times
Sorry a little off topic.......I recently had a coversation with a lovely Muslim couple that I casually know but do not see very often. They have beautiful, lovely and very smart daughter who attended an Ivy League school. She was always so pleasant whenever I met her. I asked her how she was doing. The wife responded, "We married her off, and she is living out of state." Left me a little speechless......married her off/arranged? It just seemed so cold but I guess that is normal for their culture/religion. I truly wish she is happy with her new life.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:22 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Is it even possible to call yourself a Muslim if you are gay?

Muslim Gay wedding = oxymoron

Old 07-15-2017, 11:57 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I really don't understand why there are any gay religious people. Why would gay people want to be a part of a group that secretly or even openly hates them and condemns them to hell for their behavior.

It just seems like most gays would prefer to be atheist, agnostic or perhaps Buddhist. Or you know, the other religions that don't want to openly kill you or have you tormented in fire for eternity because of your sexual preferences.

It seems if you could be a strong enough person to figure out your sexual orientation and to be open about it in a hostile religious environment, then you should also be able to figure out that religion is a farce.

There are many gay people who need spiritual connection, or have connection to their religious upbringing and want to continue that tradition.

For Christians, I think they get around it by discounting the parts of the Bible that (appear to) discuss homosexuality. Read in Greek context instead of King James English translation, for example, the terminology and reference is different. Plus, many Christians obviously no longer follow old testament law. Otherwise they'd be eating kosher and banning bacon. There are also many sects of Christianity who don't condemn homosexuality.

Muslims, I suspect, do the same in whatever way they need to.... though I'm not aware of any gay-friendly Muslim sects.

There are plenty of Christians, Jews, Muslims who have sex outside of marriage, divorce, etc. and still consider themselves "Christians." Gay people cannot change who they are on the inside, so I find it less of a stretch to be gay and religious and a divorcee (gay is not chosen, being divorced is).

Old 07-15-2017, 12:02 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It would take courage (or insanity) to attend. The more publicity, the more I'd be looking over my shoulder.
While they still have something to look over their shoulder with. It is unfortunate it is getting so much publicity, maybe they want to make a statement and aren't that concerned about their fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Perhaps you should get to know some Muslims. This post makes it extremely apparent that you do not know any.
You think? Are you familiar with the Quran? The Quran's Verses of Violence I suspect there are those that go against their religious laws, just like the gay couple that married, but there is a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Someone will commit jihad on them.
Perhaps it was their goal to be martyrs? I think, if so, it won't gain them what they are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies