Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
If people would fast more often and eat healthy, they wouldn't even have to see physicians in the first place. Unfortunately, it's not a priority in the US. The priority is to buy a Mercedes and a McMansion.
That was random.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
If people would fast more often and eat healthy, they wouldn't even have to see physicians in the first place. Unfortunately, it's not a priority in the US. The priority is to buy a Mercedes and a McMansion.

But wow, that guy is an idiot.
Strange comment. Healthy people usually still see a physician for a checkup from time to time.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Since when was Aunt Jamima a racial slur. As far as the kid was concerned, he was being an obstinate teen not doing what he was told, rules are there for a reason, he violated them.
Aunt Jemima is a racial stereotype, not a slur. Contrary to what people believe, stereotypes are not built on truths. I have great grandmothers who could cook and who were domestics and even wore head scarves but they weren't happy to work that type of job and I bet most black women back then wished that they could get a better position in life and had more opportunities. My own maternal great grandmother actually spoke to me of that - that she did ironing and cleaning and was a maid so her daughters and granddaughters wouldn't have to. She was the last maid in the family. Aunt Jemima is based on the happy negro image that whites back in the late 19th century had of black women - a caricature, a figure fit for servitude and in the kitchen. Being stereotyped as something that you are not, something akin to a slave basically, is insulting, especially in a professional environment like a doctor's office.

And teens don't have to do what you tell them to do just because. What rule (law) did the teen violate that would make it necessary to call police on them?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Aunt Jemima is a racial stereotype, not a slur. Contrary to what people believe, stereotypes are not built on truths. I have great grandmothers who could cook and who were domestics and even wore head scarves but they weren't happy to work that type of job and I bet most black women back then wished that they could get a better position in life and had more opportunities. My own maternal great grandmother actually spoke to me of that - that she did ironing and cleaning and was a maid so her daughters and granddaughters wouldn't have to. She was the last maid in the family. Aunt Jemima is based on the happy negro image that whites back in the late 19th century had of black women - a caricature, a figure fit for servitude and in the kitchen. Being stereotyped as something that you are not, something akin to a slave basically, is insulting, especially in a professional environment like a doctor's office.

And teens don't have to do what you tell them to do just because. What rule (law) did the teen violate that would make it necessary to call police on them?
I did not call the police, only threatened. they violated one of our rules and were called on it. The teens do have to listen or get suspended or if serious enough, banned. And by the way, stereotype exist for a reason, they were not created from thin air.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Has anybody asked what Uncle Ben thinks?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm thinking she maybe looked like Aunt Jemima( like an old fat white guy with a beard might look like Santa Claus) and what he said might have been just bone headedly insensitive and stupid and perhaps not really racist. But I heard The Pigeon on Urban Sirius this morning urging black people to lash out at what they perceive to be racism. He's a race baiter and a hate merchant, but he's sending a dangerous message to those who listen to him that might not know better than to take his crap seriously.
That's right. Don't lash out at racism. Just ignore it and pretend as if it never happened.

Aunt Jemima and Santa Claus...what a perfect anoalogy. For a 5 year old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Since when was Aunt Jamima a racial slur. As far as the kid was concerned, he was being an obstinate teen not doing what he was told, rules are there for a reason, he violated them.
That's right..."do what I tell you to do and don't be an obstinate kneegrow!"

How many black women have you referred to as Aunt Jemima?

We both know the answer. Cut the stupidity out.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Has anybody asked what Uncle Ben thinks?
LMAO...or the Quaker Oats guy!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Why is it racist to say "Hi Aunt Jemima" to a black lady who looks like A.J., but it's perfectly fine to say "hi Steve Martin" to a white guy who looks like S.M.?

Racism in 2017 is basically just "you are saying something slightly impolite to a non-white person".

Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's right. Don't lash out at racism. Just ignore it and pretend as if it never happened.

Aunt Jemima and Santa Claus...what a perfect anoalogy. For a 5 year old.

That's right..."do what I tell you to do and don't be an obstinate kneegrow!"

How many black women have you referred to as Aunt Jemima?

We both know the answer. Cut the stupidity out.
None. And as far as the teen goes I should have just let him run amok and create havoc? Keep playing the race card. Obstinate kneegrow, you said that I didn't.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
If only the world had a better sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
There is an episode of Adam-12 (a show from the late 1960s) where the two cops are giving the Police Commissioner a ride along. The PC happens to be a black women.

They encounter some young punks causing trouble and proceed to arrest them. The lead punk asks who the women is. She shows him her badge and PC identification.

The punk cackles and replies, "Well, look what we got here! A genuine Aunt Jemima!"

So I reckon its been a slur since at least the late 60s although I admit a TV show is not the best piece of evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Why is it racist to say "Hi Aunt Jemima" to a black lady who looks like A.J., but it's perfectly fine to say "hi Steve Martin" to a white guy who looks like S.M.?

Racism in 2017 is basically just "you are saying something slightly impolite to a non-white person".

I'm shaking my head in disbelief. Try and pay attention for a moment. Aunt Jemima was actually a character in a minstrel show. This was a form of entertainment in the mid-to-late 1800's where white men put on blackface and entertained white audiences by portraying black people as buffoons.

A small company selling pancake mix used this character as part of their brand, and because branding is such a big deal, they've kept it over the years. Even people who can't read can recognize an image or icon on packaging. So it remained over the years, even though it's roots were offensive, and even though Quaker Oats bought the brand back in the 1920's.

The image was intended to evoke the feeling of southern hospitality and cooking - thus Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, Rastus from Cream of Wheat, etc. were all created for that purpose. But the image goes back to a time of slavery when mammies were raising white children, cooking all the meals and cleaning up after everyone, and the men were doing the heavy lifting and shining shoes.

Calling someone Aunt Jemima is an insult because you're saying she's nothing more than a slave who needs to get back in the kitchen. It's like calling a black man Uncle Ben or Rastus - it's like saying 'you're here to cook my meals and shine my shoes'. It would be like asking a very thin Jewish person if they just got out of Auschwitz.

Get it??? It's offensive. Not funny.

Last edited by MPowering1; 07-17-2017 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: ETA another ignorant post to the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies