Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times

Advertisements

I get what you are saying. My husband is a large black man, who has never been in a fight. But there have been a few instances when his presence was all the encouragement people needed to adjust their demeanor/tone when addressing me. I believe this is what the prior posters were alluding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I agree. I'm not suggesting that the problem is limited to poor black men, as addressed in my last post. I have plenty of meaningless anecdotes to demonstrate personal experience with this that I won't bore you with. I made the choice to marry a good man with a strong head on his shoulders and move 2000 miles away from my family in part to remove myself from the ugly culture that I was raised in. I just won't have it. As an educated adult I learned how to use words to fight words, and though I did plenty of scrappin' myself as a teen/younger adult, as a middle-aged grown woman now, I find that behavior to be just plain repugnant.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I get what you are saying. My husband is a large black man, who has never been in a fight. But there have been a few instances when his presence was all the encouragement people needed to adjust their demeanor/tone when addressing me. I believe this is what the prior posters were alluding to.
My perspective is likely different due to the fact that I'm a sturdy, independent AF Hawaiian woman capable of (and sometimes insistent) on taking care of my own business. I'll take all comers. I would be offended if my husband felt he was more capable of handling a rude person addressing me than I am. He has beamed with pride in fact on occasions that I have had to step up my tone and tenor when dealing with dicks. That's not to say he isn't more than capable himself. He doesn't accept rudeness. We are equal partners who practice wordplay on each other for sport.

Getting back to the topic at hand; I wish that this woman had felt the safety and confidence to challenge this doctor on the spot. He earned a verbal correction right then and there from her directly. I understand the history and culture of unease with black folks and white doctors though. Especially among older people. Had he said that to a 25 year-old black woman he would have most likely seen a dramatically different outcome. And rightfully so.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
This doctor probably should have taken the time for an extra cup of coffee before starting to see his patients that day.

If he had done so, he might have had enough snap to realize that some of his patients may not cotton to gratuitous insults.

You know...assuming the lady was a paying patient, you'd think this sawbones would have the common sense to avoid alienating his customer (i.e., patient.) Insulting the customers is a good way to run them all off, which kinda defeats the purpose of being in business in the first place.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
I think the difference it that my husband looks "intimidating," so people don't even try it with him.

As for the woman in the article, I think she handled the situation appropriately - she reported him.

Quote:
My perspective is likely different due to the fact that I'm a sturdy, independent AF Hawaiian woman capable of (and sometimes insistent) on taking care of my own business. I'll take all comers. I would be offended if my husband felt he was more capable of handling a rude person addressing me than I am. He has beamed with pride in fact on occasions that I have had to step up my tone and tenor when dealing with dicks. That's not to say he isn't more than capable himself. He doesn't accept rudeness. We are equal partners who practice wordplay on each other for sport.

Getting back to the topic at hand; I wish that this woman had felt the safety and confidence to challenge this doctor on the spot. He earned a verbal correction right then and there from her directly. I understand the history and culture of unease with black folks and white doctors though. Especially among older people. Had he said that to a 25 year-old black woman he would have most likely seen a dramatically different outcome. And rightfully so.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Yep, this thread is a great demonstration why the situation of AA is not the best in the country, and why 99% it's their fault. When even the best of them, the ones who know to read and write, are condoning a savage violent reaction for a simple word, we can understand why they responsible for about a half of violent crimes in the country.
Sad, very sad.
Your dry cleaner called. Said you can pick up your white robes and pointy hats this afternoon.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post

That's why we have the 2nd amendment. To protect our 1st amendment rights.

When thugs resort to violence, sometimes they find out just how much their lives matter.
I could hand you two loaded guns, then hire a kid to smack you, and you STILL wouldn't shoot anyone.

Go sit down somewhere.
Quote:
Yep, this thread is a great demonstration why the situation of AA is not the best in the country, and why 99% it's their fault. When even the best of them, the ones who know to read and write, are condoning a savage violent reaction for a simple word, we can understand why they responsible for about a half of violent crimes in the country.
Sad, very sad.
Go join the poster above you, only make sure that your chair faces the wall.
Quote:
I'm not an idiot in need of placating. I know what DD means and you do, too.
Stop sniveling.

There is a such thing as fighting words (or fighting terms). Black folks didn't invent the term.

Aunt Jemima is one of 'em.
Quote:
I'm calling out anyone who responds to these threads with the blustery "go say that to a black person's face" retort. When you suggest that someone say something provocative to a black person and "see what happens" you aren't speaking for yourself. You are speaking for others, and implying that that person's reaction will predictably be a negative one. You backed up that assertion with your teeth take, so it's clear that you read it the same way that others like myself do. Tee off a black man = get your ass kicked. It's repeated constantly around here, and it ain't doing anybody any favors.
Some folks actually need their ass beat, and SHOULD receive the ass kicking they deserve.

That thing about swallowing one's teeth is spot on, and I'm not backing away from that delineation even one bit. I don't care about racial stereotypes. If I went around caring about what folks think of black folks, I wouldn't get anything done.

So "it ain't doing anybody any favors?" Who's doing anybody any favors now? I don't want anyone's damn favors. I want folks to act like they have some sense. Addressing a black woman by Aunt Jemima is a inexcusable violation of courtesy and decency, and the violator SHOULD get the taste slapped outta their mouth.

Just be glad that it rarely happens and move on.
Quote:
No, it's even not my second or third one. But the one with English reading comprehension challenges is the one who missed all the "teeth braking" posts.

Anyway, I had absolutely no idea that Aunt Jemima is an insulting name. How in this highly PC country something that can cause somebody to perform a violent felony is still on the shelves of Walmart and Costco?
For me it's a nice lady from the pancakes.
Can you imagine that a sous with the brand "slave Tom" will be there? Maybe some people like to feel that everybody are raaaciist?
Again with the dumb routine.

If you didn't know in 2017 that calling a black woman Aunt Jemima is way the eff over the line, then really, you have no business participating in any adult conversation around here. There must be a kiddie forum around here somewhere....use it.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I could hand you two loaded guns, then hire a kid to smack you, and you STILL wouldn't shoot anyone.

Go sit down somewhere.

Go join the poster above you, only make sure that your chair faces the wall.

Stop sniveling.

There is a such thing as fighting words (or fighting terms). Black folks didn't invent the term.

Some folks actually need their ass beat, and SHOULD receive the ass kicking they deserve.

That thing about swallowing one's teeth is spot on, and I'm not backing away from that delineation even one bit. I don't care about racial stereotypes. If I went around caring about what folks think of black folks, I wouldn't get anything done.

So "it ain't doing anybody any favors?" Who's doing anybody any favors now? I don't want anyone's damn favors. I want folks to act like they have some sense. Addressing a black woman by Aunt Jemima is a inexcusable violation of courtesy and decency, and the violator SHOULD get the taste slapped outta their mouth.

Just be glad that it rarely happens and move on.

Again with the dumb routine.

If you didn't know in 2017 that calling a black woman Aunt Jemima is way the eff over the line, then really, you have no business participating in any adult conversation around here. There must be a kiddie forum around here somewhere....use it.
Blah blah blah. Angry Black Guy 101 crap here. You make an extremely valid point about people saying rude things like in the topic of this thread, but then double down on the ghetto azz beating chest pumping rhetoric that removes any doubt that you're somehow enlightened. You keep it real, dude. I'll keep it better.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:11 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
No, it's even not my second or third one. But the one with English reading comprehension challenges is the one who missed all the "teeth braking" posts.

Anyway, I had absolutely no idea that Aunt Jemima is an insulting name. How in this highly PC country something that can cause somebody to perform a violent felony is still on the shelves of Walmart and Costco?
For me it's a nice lady from the pancakes.
Can you imagine that a sous with the brand "slave Tom" will be there? Maybe some people like to feel that everybody are raaaciist?
Obviously, it is not. You are the one being a drama queen and reading more into posts to suit your agenda.

Perhaps you should do a little more research if you have difficulty comprehending why this might offend the woman. Who is committing a violent felony over it? Of course, I expect more deflection on your part.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

They're fighting for their "culture" or lack of. They want to spew their nonsense.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:17 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Blah blah blah. Angry Black Guy 101 crap here. You make an extremely valid point about people saying rude things like in the topic of this thread, but then double down on the ghetto azz beating chest pumping rhetoric that removes any doubt that you're somehow enlightened. You keep it real, dude. I'll keep it better.

She has a point desertdetroiter.

You generally decry all things racist and then turn around and confirm many of those negative stereotypes that other blacks decry: Violence, blacks owning illegal guns, OJ, the N word, etc.

You might want to embrace moral consistency.

Or at least grow up a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies