Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 AM

937 posts, read 693,405 times

Advertisements

^ Don't you mean the suburbs where all those condos have been for decades?? ^

Old 07-17-2017, 06:33 AM

58,632 posts, read 26,934,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
When we say illegal immigrants, doesn't it usually mean Mexicans? Who will work as hard as a Mexican? Who will do the sorts of work Mexicans will do? Certainly few, if any. What will American farming do without field workers? What will cleaning companies, restaurants, dirt jobs? Not white America, not a chance. Give us a year, and all of us will see the effects of the round ups.......and the lack of immigrants.
" Who will work as hard as a Mexican?"

I think this is a myth

I have friend who had a landscape business and hired Mexicans WITH green cards.

After about 2 years he had had enough and fired the last of them and he would NEVER HIRE A MEXICAN AGAIN BECAUSE they do NOT work hard.

He now uses green creed workers from Guatemala, etc. and has NO problem with them and their work habits

I have heard this from other business as well.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 AM

BTW; we have had a housing crisis for the poor for decades, where have you been? Probably from 1981 on.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,224,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"28% of Arlington residents are foreign born. This has an impact on the housing prices."

"This is not something that can be corrected,"

Of course it can be corrected

The INS has CONTROL of how many immigrants CAN re allowed into our country every year.

If they are causing a major negative impact, LOWER the number being allowed in.
The same with a section of Boston that I work in, that being East Boston. On any given weekday, there are hundreds of mothers with strollers (with newly minted American babies in them) and older children sauntering up and down the sidewalks(why they are not working is beyond me). They are speaking Spanish and are clearly ethnic Central Americans. I would be surprised if EB were not 40% immigrant. 30% illegal.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
If we didn't have capitalists, we wouldn't have ANY jobs.
Some are so short sighted!
You mean those $8/hr part time jobs? Now who is "short sighted"?

Old 07-17-2017, 06:36 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,642,066 times
Quote:
" Who will work as hard as a Mexican?"

I think this is a myth

I have friend who had a landscape business and hired Mexicans WITH green cards.

After about 2 years he had had enough and fired the last of them and he would NEVER HIRE A MEXICAN AGAIN BECAUSE they do NOT work hard.

He now uses green creed workers from Guatemala, etc. and has NO problem with them and their work habits

I have heard this from other business as well.
Identity politics, anyone?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:54 AM

62,637 posts, read 28,812,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The reason many blue collar jobs don't pay well any longer is the breaking of the labor/trade unions. Blaming that on foreigners is a red herring, the real reason is the business community working through the Chamber of Commerce and the Republican party have been pushing 'Right to Work' laws, which are really right to screw over the workers laws.

This should not surprise anyone.

It's a combination of both. Who do you think were doing all those once decent paying jobs before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? Illegal aliens have flooded the construction industry in particular. What does that have to do with unions? Please top calling them plain old foreigners also.

Why is it that it is mostly the Democrats pushing amnesty for illegal aliens? How does that help the American worker? Obama gave a stay of deportation to millions of them along with work permits. How does that help the American worker?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM

62,637 posts, read 28,812,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
When we say illegal immigrants, doesn't it usually mean Mexicans? Who will work as hard as a Mexican? Who will do the sorts of work Mexicans will do? Certainly few, if any. What will American farming do without field workers? What will cleaning companies, restaurants, dirt jobs? Not white America, not a chance. Give us a year, and all of us will see the effects of the round ups.......and the lack of immigrants.

60% of illegals are Mexicans and 20% are from other Latino countries. Utter BS that Mexicans work harder than anyone else. If here illegally they just allow themselves to be exploited. I have seen first hand their shoddy workmanship on building houses.

Only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers so you were saying? Americans have always done cleaning jobs, restaurants jobs, etc. for a fair wage until millions of cheap illegals flooded our border. White America? Why would you just mention them but not other races of Americans? Sounds kind of racist to me.

There isn't going to be any round ups. All we have to do is enforce the laws on the books as they are found and remove all of the incentives for them to remain here. Many will leave on their own. Immigrants? Don't even mention them in the same sentence with illegal aliens. Illegal aliens aren't
"immigrants".

Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM

21,431 posts, read 7,396,086 times
Quote:
"The reason many blue collar jobs don't pay well any longer is the breaking of the labor/trade unions."

B.S.

I have a close friend who is part owner of the one of the biggest electrical contract companies in the area, which is BIG, and has over 2,000 employees.

They are paid in line with the union scale.

"'Right to Work' laws, which are really right to screw over the workers laws."

More union bosses brain washing BS.

The unions "greed" priced THEMSELVES out of the market.

I was in the industry and speak from first hand knowledge.
You say that union greed priced themselves out of the market but you also say your friend pays union scale. That makes no sense.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:12 AM

25,715 posts, read 21,868,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It has also contributed to the higher rents.
Yes, this is especially true of the illegal aliens coming in. They live 2, 3, 4 families to a house meant for one family so can afford to pay more and will pay it for those landlords that don't ask questions. Here, a house that sells for $60,000, rents for about $800.00 a month in a low cost of living area where wages are depressed by illegal aliens.

One anchor baby gets the entire illegal family into Section 8 housing. I know someone trying to get into Section 8 housing because they have a lower income and there is a 6 month to 1 year wait. I told her "If they start the employer raids, they might have some openings sooner." Many places have much longer waiting periods.

Refugees being brought in get support, including housing, for their first 5 years as a given, which again pushes anyone trying to rent lower cost housing having to turn to more expensive housing.

With the influx of "new" people coming in and willing to pay or more likely subsidized, it creates a shortage that runs up the rent for everyone else. Some can pay it, others can't.

In the area of low cost housing, refugees and illegal aliens present a real plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies