Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 01:49 PM

13,774 posts, read 5,505,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
What competition? Most places don't have competition. I have Comcast or ****ty 3mbps DSL, so one real choice.
And that is BECAUSE OF GOVERNMENT.

The collusion between the government and the behemoth monopoly ISP powers is WHY THERE ISN'T ENOUGH COMPETITION in the first place. All Obama's "neutrality" regs did was exert more power over the existing monopolies in return for the monopolies making more politically advantageous statements in public, but also afforded them greater protection from any possible competition.

"Net neutrality" did exactly nothing to alleviate the legalized, institutional barriers to competition that exist in the ISP industry, and did a lot to actually make those barriers taller, wider, farther reaching and more durable.

Ask why it is that with all of their resources, Google fiber ha been kinda-sorta rolled out in only two markets NATIONWIDE? Tell you why...because the existing monopoly/duopoly powers in EVERY market are fighting tooth and nail to not let Google's speed, efficiency and price crush their antiquated service like bugs. Same for every attempt at high speed wireless broadband in even local networks. FFS, there are 11 states with explicit laws that either ban new ISPs from entering the market or at least make the barrier so expensive and painful that even Google doesn't even try.

You want true neutrality? You need competition in the marketplace not just of websites that travel the existing 1-2 roads on the Internet, but MORE FREAKING INTERNET ROADS.

9,254 posts, read 3,551,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
All Trump has done is revert back to the rules Clinton/Gore had in place.
If we repeal the drunk driving laws, all we will have done it revert back to the rules that we had in place for thousands of years before cars were invented when there were no auto accidents, so that should be fine.

20,955 posts, read 8,591,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Wrong. More like: You pay for 1 gig of ram, but they will only let you use 100mb of that ram that you paid for on video content, so you cant watch high def video anymore without stuttering unless you pay them an extra "fee" to unlock the ram you already paid for for use with video content.

I don't get how so many people can be so sure they are against something that they obviously don't understand in the first place. I guess being an ignorant knee jerk reactionary is just in style now huh?
Not to be word or grammar police, but RAM has nothing to do with internet access.

You are paying for what is called bandwidth and often is more complicated than people realize. People cannot even understand the difference between Mbps and MBps - bit and bytes!

There is a lot to it. Also, consider that in most places the hardware simply cannot handle what people want to do with it. That is, if you have the entire city wanting to watch 4K (soon it will be 8K) TV while others in the house also do their thing, there simply is not enough capacity.

I've been into HAM Radio, CB, Internet and related stuff since the 1980's - and I don't (and won't) own a 4K TV. When I watch Amazon Prime I usually turn down the bandwidth to the middle setting - can't tell the difference at all.

Anyway, this WH and the GOP are in the pockets of big business. Build the Swamp Up. What do you expect?

12,390 posts, read 7,055,825 times
You all know I'm a Trump supporter, and I was say this.

This is the biggest mistake that has come out of the Trump administration.

Mark my words, this will lead to censorship of content, and higher internet prices.

2,940 posts, read 1,799,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Exactly right. I have the choice of one Internet provider in my area, and that is Charter. There is nothing else. These people telling us to just go find another provider are ignorant right wingers who have no idea what they're talking about. They just know that the GOP is pushing this so they will support it without any understanding of what they're supporting.
Their problem is ideology vs. reality. They're all up in this mind game of "less regulations = better" mindset without considering the practical impacts and how it really works right now.

5,800 posts, read 6,543,709 times
The Democrats politicize everything from the net to the NFL to healthcare to housing and everything else.

It's what they do.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM

50,085 posts, read 46,672,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
An easy way to describe it is that every street and highway in your town becomes privately owned and tolled and each company can decide what to charge and whether to hold your car up and let 100 others pass you before you can pass the intersection.

Or, we allow Federal Sale of all the airspace over the USA and then we do the same things with airfares, airlines, routes, tc.
It depends. If A private company built the infrastructure/street why should a start up get to use it at a discount because the govt says so?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the govt out of road building so more companies can build their own roads?

Old 12-14-2017, 01:50 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,871,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Umm.. 4 of the 5 members of the committee were appointed by.. Obama.

The only Trump appointee on the FCC Committee is Brendan Carr.
You are not entitled to make up facts. This from WIKI.
Commissioners
The FCC is directed by five commissioners appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the United States Senate for five-year terms, except when filling an unexpired term. The U.S. President designates one of the commissioners to serve as chairman. Only three commissioners may be members of the same political party. None of them may have a financial interest in any FCC-related business.[3][7]

Name Position State of Residence
Ajit Pai Chairman Kansas Republican
Mignon Clyburn Commissioner South Carolina Democrat
Brendan Carr Virginia Republican
Michael O'Rielly New York Republican
Jessica Rosenworcel Connecticut Democratic

Old 12-14-2017, 01:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,868,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If we repeal the drunk driving laws, all we will have done it revert back to the rules that we had in place for thousands of years before cars were invented when there were no auto accidents, so that should be fine.
No big deal.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:52 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,799,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It depends. If A private company built the infrastructure/street why should a start up get to use it at a discount because the govt says so?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the govt out of road building so more companies can build their own roads?
The only problem with that... the Constitution requires the government to build roads and it specifically says so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies