Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 12:28 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Obama's Big Government wanted to control content. Seems to me most of the problems people have been having with access and censorship have occurred since Net Neutrality was introduced. Conservatives on youtube have been deleted and blocked and accounts can't be monetized yet jihadi sites are free and clear to recruit murder and mayhem.

People have always had to pay more money if they want high speed internet access from their providers. I am too cheap to do that so I make do. Businesses want to make money. Not a crime!

The internet was doing just fine before Obama tinkered with it.
I was scrolling through TrapperJohn's uninformed drivel thinking I could get to the end of this thread before hitting "reply" but this post really has to be the lowest common denominator. You obviously do not have even the slightest clue what Net Neutrality was or what it accomplished. Net Neutrality prohibited anyone from throttling or controlling or favoring particular content. No one - not the government, nor the ISPs - had control. The repeal of Net Neutrality hands control of content to the ISPs to do whatever they choose with it. It has nothing to do with high speed plans or governmental censorship. Nothing.

Net Neutrality is the functional equivalent of permitting a water company to charge for pressure, volume, and even surge pricing, but prohibiting the water company from charging more if you used a hose rather than a faucet or were using a Maytag dishwasher instead of a Haier dishwasher.

The fact that you think you could weigh in on this subject with such a total lack of knowledge on the subject is simply astounding.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
over 80% of Americans polled, across the aisle -- both republicans and democrats, were against repealing Net Neutrality.

And here I thought our gov't was supposed to represent the people's wishes.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Thanks for proving that you don't know what you are talking about.
Of course, I don’t understand, which is why I have no opinion.

You don’t understand either!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:32 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
I've never hated a public figure before, but Trump is the literal worst, human garbage personafied. I hate every single person who voted that disgusting human waste into office. Why is he soooooo terrible? He really doesn't care at all about other human beings, he just wants to undermine everything Obama did? F*** him and everyone who voted for him.
Tell us how you REALLY feel! Can't say I disagree with you but the ones I have a problem with are the hardcore supporters still genuflecting to Trump even after he has shown the world what a crazed maniacal scumbag he truly is. Many people voted for him thinking that we needed a change, and I can give them a pass for that. But you get no free pass if you are still rationalizing support for him now, after he has shown us what a vile piece of trash he truly is, now that he has revealed his true agenda.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:32 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It' was nice while it lasted.

This shouldn't have been a left or right issue. It impacts EVERYONE who uses the www.

Something like 85% of all people wanted this to stay the same (support NN), and the money hungry asshats said, hey, *********!
Yep.

This is not political. This is really about consumer-friendly practices vs. consumer-unfriendly practices. We just gave ISPs, who already hold mega-monopolies, significant control over what we see (and don't see) on the Internet.

This is a very dark day.

If you care about the free flow of information (which I imagine most of us do), this is not the direction we should be going.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:33 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And operated just fine.
No, its not fine to strangle small startups and innovation in order to make corporate media giants ever more powerful.

Here is just some of the things that went on prior to Net Neutrality. Now it will be turbocharged. Just so the GOP can get more campaign cash from these corporate giants:

https://www.freepress.net/blog/2017/...-brief-history

Old 12-14-2017, 12:34 PM

20,107 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Glad to see this!

I want more competition, freedom, and privacy.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:35 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

So why dont you inform yourself instead of mindlessly supporting what the puppets are doing?

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Then educate yourself, instead of posting that no one has an idea what they are talking about, because, contrary to your useless accusations, some people actually do know.

Quote:
Net neutrality is a term used to describe a set of regulations that ensure all information flowing over the internet is treated equally. It means companies cannot block websites or offer certain companies faster loading speeds for money.

For example, internet services providers like Verizon and Comcast are currently prohibited from charging you more money to visit sites such as Netflix and Youtube. Verizon and Comcast are also prohibited from charging Netflix and YouTube to prioritize their traffic over other websites or services.

Until now, the internet mostly evolved under net neutrality principles. This meant that the internet was something of a meritocracy. The best idea would conceivably win out, even something like two guys starting a search engine out of a garage.

Without net neutrality, this could change, opening up the door to corporate domination of the internet.

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Whatever you liked about the internet, or didn't like, prior to April 2015 may return, or not.

Eliminating net. neutrality, and I use the term very loosely, will not end regulation of the internet providers. They wll return to and continue to be subject to FTC regs.
If all this does is repeal Obama era regulations.... I'm not sure I'm seeing the big deal is?

I mean, I don't recall the internet changing in any meaningful way during Obama's term.

So I guess I'm not clear on how repealing a regulation that didn't seem to do anything is going to change anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies