Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What a stupid thread. 47 out of 50 states allow non compete agreements, this isn't something unique to Idaho. Even liberal paradise California allows limited non compete agreements.
Every state is different, enforcement varies greatly and they have increased to the point where 20% of workers have signed an agreement. This has been used even with hair dressers, Jimmy Johns used this to prevent sandwich makers from moving.

Silicon Valley has fared quite well without non-competes as have other states. No problem with executives but this has expanded to journeymen and low level workers. Besides they already sign disclosure agreements, this is an entirely addtional level.

Some have indicated 6-12 months, I have not seen any data confirming that number.

Last edited by Goodnight; 07-16-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 05:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Every state is different, enforcement varies greatly and they have increased to the point where 20% of workers have signed an agreement. This has been used even with hair dressers, Jimmy Johns used this to prevent sandwich makers from moving.

Silicon Valley has fared quite well without non-competes as have other states. No problem with executives but this has expanded to journeymen and low level workers. Besides they already sign disclosure agreements, this is an entirely addtional level.

Some have indicated 6-12 months, I have not seen any data confirming that number.
In Idaho, this is purely about wage suppression. It has nothing to do with competitiveness.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:58 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Wow, we made it to a defense of this insane policy in one post. Ultimately it's bad for the employers too. People don't want to be locked down, so they'll go to more reasonable states like California that do not tolerate such insanity.
the poster who is defending it, most likely knows nothing about, does not care . But mostly likely figures the "lefties" are against it, so he or she is for it.

This kind of crazy thinking is prevalent on these boards, in this case the defending poster, might be legit, but lets face it, we now have breed of poster that does not give a damn about, politics, policy, health, employment etc. But hates the left or right and thus attacks anything they perceive as maybe coming from the other side.

What is interesting about this law is that it further elevates corporations above Americans, thus ANY right winger should be fighting this. (because you love freedom etc) And ANY leftwinger should be fighting this (because you love unions and worker rights)

Therefore pretty much the entire pop of the board should be against this, yet we will see the paid russian posters attack and we will see the non thinking set attack. There is no real reason other than stupidity to put more power in the hands of corps. and frankly in the USA the corps already have huge advantages over american workers, from right to work to employment at will, most americans are screwed over before they show up for the first day's labor.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
BOISE, Idaho — Idaho achieved a notable distinction last year: It became one of the hardest places in America for someone to quit a job for a better one.

The state did this by making it easier for companies to enforce noncompete agreements, which prevent employees from leaving their company for a competitor.

Quit Your Job for a Better One? Not if You Live in Idaho

If talking CEO's; I get it but, if talking lower level employees, this "non compete" bit needs to be illegal.
This is a frequent result of government regulation..... it usually helps the big companies and screws the little guy.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A non-compete clause in an involuntary regulation is as draconian as it gets.
What does that even mean?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Why would someone choose to stay in a state where they can't get another job because of a non-compete agreement?

You blather on about how people who can read will be fine with it, but you've made no argument for why.
Because the non-compete agreements only apply to those in key positions with specific knowledge of the internal workings of the company or it's products, and only affect those going to direct competitors. Which is something most people with any brains would agree is reasonable. I don't think you have much to worry about-"do you want fries with that" isn't a trade secret.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Because the non-compete agreements only apply to those in key positions with specific knowledge of the internal workings of the company or it's products, and only affect those going to direct competitors. Which is something most people with any brains would agree is reasonable. I don't think you have much to worry about-"do you want fries with that" isn't a trade secret.
And where do you think they would go if they wanted to switch employers? Likely to a competitor.

Nice insult by the way. I have a STEM PhD and every job I've ever had has had a non-compete agreement. There's a good chance you're using something I developed to spew out your childish insults.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:35 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Wow, we made it to a defense of this insane policy in one post. Ultimately it's bad for the employers too. People don't want to be locked down, so they'll go to more reasonable states like California that do not tolerate such insanity.

Uhh..don't believe that was defending anything..other than common sense---know what you sign---and live with the consequences of your decision---without whining.

Odd...the righties call me a lefty..and the lefties call me a righty.

I don't think I even made mention of the law.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Non-competes are nominally enforceable in Texas but it's pretty unusual. I've never left a company to work for one of its direct competitors, but I have seen employees poached by competitors before. Never heard of anyone being sued.

You'd think Republicans would be all up in arms against this form of neo-industrial feudalism since it flies in the face of personal choice & the employee's right to be capitalistic about his/her own career. Sadly, no...those principles only apply to the wealthy and to corporations.

The little guy gets screwed as usual.

*Crosses Idaho off the list of places to move*

Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Sign a contract..live with the consequences...be sure to read the small print. If you don't wish to be bound..don't sign. If you want the job and sign..don't whine.

I had a guy here want me subcontract some work for him.
He whips out this contract... scope, price, time limits and in it is a no compete clause, 5 years 100 mile radius blah, blah blah.
Thinking I wanted the work badly, I would sign his contract.

I had to giggle.

I looked at him and said, do you give your doctor a contract before he operates on you?
You came to me, for my business to help you out.

Show me the plans and the scope you wish completed, and I will have a bid to you in the morning.
No Thanks!!!!!

LOL!

You have to watch your ass, when you are self employed. We wear Milkbone underwear daily, in the dog eat dog world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies