Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:34 AM

1,194 posts, read 725,917 times

Advertisements

Personally for myself i'm not so certain anymore.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:57 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
One would hope that if the USA were attacked or invaded we would all rise up.

As far as the crew in DC and the Pentagon I would not believe a word any of them said. It is all for party and campaign contributors. To heck with the Constitution and plain ol citizens.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
One would hope that if the USA were attacked or invaded we would all rise up.

As far as the crew in DC and the Pentagon I would not believe a word any of them said. It is all for party and campaign contributors. To heck with the Constitution and plain ol citizens.
I totally agree...

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I don't think you've ever spoken the oath in serious purpose, or there would be some things you'd understand.

Quote:
Officers:
"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

Enlisted:
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

A couple of points about the oath.

First, notice that the oath is to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. Not to defend the president, nor the Congress, nor even the territory itself.

Rather, the oath is to defend a concept, an idea, an ideal.

Notice that a big difference between the oath of the officers and the oath of the enlisted is that the officers are not bound to obey anyone--they are bound to "well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office."

Most people don't understand that although the President selects the individuals to serve as officers, it's the Congress that actually authorizes the office, and the authority of the military commission is actually granted by Congress.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:30 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
No. War is mostly a racket to enrich private business interests.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:58 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
This USA is a fundamentally good country with good people. The failings of individuals to meet our ideals does not make this a country not worth fighting for, or risking my life for.

I would not risk my life merely to enrich someone else (as sometimes seems to be the case), but to preserve our people from harm of course.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
This USA is a fundamentally good country with good people. The failings of individuals to meet our ideals does not make this a country not worth fighting for, or risking my life for.

I would not risk my life merely to enrich someone else (as sometimes seems to be the case), but to preserve our people from harm of course.
Agreed!

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
No and if anyone has children of age they should be discouraged from a career in the military, which has largely become a career of trespassing in foreign lands and abusing/killing the locals for the benefit of some corporate entity.

Quote:

Good point!!!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:07 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Then don't ask this forum to decide for you.

Flip a coin.

Keep us updated.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies