Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

Victims,Victimology,Victimhood

I often hear conservatives complaining about people being victims or engaging in victimhood. What exactly do these things mean from a conservative point of view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 09:47 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Those who instantly revert to being a victim of a thing which really doesn't exist to excuse their bad behavior. EXP: a black man is killed by a cop, whether rightfully or not, which incites thousands of blacks (and others) calling for the killing of or violence against all cops. That is a single incident of a single victim promoted as being the state of mass victimhood.

It's the promotion of class, race, religious, gender warfare against other classes, races, religions, genders that have nothing to do with any given incident.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I will show you a great and recent example in Los Angeles.

Just read this article.
These people think that white people and 'whiteness' are the cause for all their problems.
They are protesting an independent small business, a coffee shop and acting hysterical.
The businesses located next to this coffeeshop are a pawn shop and a payday lender it looks like.

Our liberal progressive , "pro tolerance" mayor and city council in this city has yet to speak out about this racism.

https://thepridela.com/2017/07/is-pinkwashing-real/

Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Victimhood hierarchy / stack. A way of using identitarianism in order to attempt to gain undue moral authority. Paint yourself and your identity group as the victim of systematic oppression perpetrated by another group in order to discredit and silence individual "members" of that group. Often used in conjunction with the concepts of micro-aggression and words as violence.

The Evergreen State College debacle, the Jordan Peterson protests, and the Yale / Christakis incident are three good examples off the top of my head.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 AM

983 posts, read 737,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

I often hear conservatives complaining about people being victims or engaging in victimhood. What exactly do these things mean from a conservative point of view?
Third wave feminists. They don't like actually taking responsibility for anything in their lives so blaming everything else such as men and the patriarchy is a very convenient scapegoat.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

Individuals want justice for a wrongdoing. That's universal.

But when individuals use perceived slights (whether true or not) to further a collectivist cause then you have a case of (often perpetual) victimhood.

What these individuals (attempt to) do is play on the emotions of others who would naturally sympathize with a victim to extract something from them (usually money or political power) for personal gain under the guise of "fighting for the cause".

See Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc.

This is why collectivism and the idea of the ends justifying the means are such a cancer to reason, justice, and morality.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I think all people victimize themselves in some way at some point in time in their lives.

Honestly, I feel that conservatives are just as likely to claim to be a victim (see all this "media/people picking on Trump" nonsense") as liberals or any minority group or women.

Every day on this particular forum I see posts of self proclaimed white men who feel they are victims of political correctness.

In my personal life, since I live in the Rust Belt, I also personally know a lot of white men who per Marleinie "don't like taking responsibility for anything in their lives" and they blame government for all their problems in their lives or minority groups or women, etc. Everyone claims victimization at some point in time.

IMO it is a natural thing for people to do because they don't want to take a look at themselves and/or their neighborhoods/communities and actually do something to make situations better in their lives and/or environments.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think all people victimize themselves in some way at some point in time in their lives.

Honestly, I feel that conservatives are just as likely to claim to be a victim (see all this "media/people picking on Trump" nonsense") as liberals or any minority group or women.

Every day on this particular forum I see posts of self proclaimed white men who feel they are victims of political correctness.

In my personal life, since I live in the Rust Belt, I also personally know a lot of white men who per Marleinie "don't like taking responsibility for anything in their lives" and they blame government for all their problems in their lives or minority groups or women, etc. Everyone claims victimization at some point in time.

IMO it is a natural thing for people to do because they don't want to take a look at themselves and/or their neighborhoods/communities and actually do something to make situations better in their lives and/or environments.
You're definitely right that the victim mentality is not limited to any specific type of person. They're hurting themselves and preventing their own success. Where it really becomes a problem is when they advocate for political action to "correct" their victimhood. That affects everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies