Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
More details to come, but this has "i screwed the pooch" written all over it.

The officer hadn't turned on his body cam, so details will probably be fuzzy. But one thing is for sure; this won't be just another Philando Castile type situation. The Aussie government is gonna want answers for one of their own citizens being gunned down in a foreign country.

Residents Want Answers After Woman Fatally Shot By Police – WCCO | CBS Minnesota
"was gunned down last night"

"She is also who friends and neighbors say was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer Saturday night."

Nothing like trying to exaggerate the indecent.

I don't see ANY details.

I do notice it is an NBC site and they use to usual "empathy" statements, "she was an animal lover, etc which has NOTHING to do with anything.

"“I mean ask anybody here, they’re shocked,” Really?

Brilliant journalism.

While I do feel very sorry about this, REASONABLE will wait for MORE details BEFORE going off half cocked!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-17-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
And the bad rep around the world would be well deserved. This culture of walking cops through the justice system has officially backfired. In huge ways at that. This country has put itself in quite the conundrum.

If the cop goes to trail a "Jury of her peers" will be just that. They will be able to relate to this women and her life in a way they rarely seem to be able to relate to black people. The jury will probably consist of 10 whites and 2 minorities.....half women. They can "see this happening to them" when its a white person....but they can't see it happening to them when its a black person because they can relate to the police officers "fear of blacks" more than they can relate to the scenario the black person is in dealing with police.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You'd think this would be a big issue with police departments all over the country - why are we killing so many people? - but as nearly as I can tell, it's a circle-the-wagons, unfortunate-incident mentality.
The reform is working in many departments, it just hasnt fully spread yet.
The reason why, which the alleged resident cop wouldnt tell anyone, is because they are supposed to work up the chain of force, just above the resistance, but often jump straight to the gun because they know they will get away with it, using the fear excuse.
Beatings = alive witness, prosecutor can prove intent (if he wants to), convicted, never work as a cop again
"Good" Shoot = dead witness, cant testify, fear= no intent, no conviction, union gets your job back with back pay.
Word got out.
Thats why theres so many shootings of unarmed people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We as citizens entrust our police officers with the power to make life & death decisions in order to keep us safe. Part of the deal is understanding there will be mistakes/accidents from time-to-time.
And youre ok with that? Will you still be ok with that if it was your wife that was shot by negligence, and they get away with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post

Also, Castille had a gun in his pocket, was a suspect in an armed robbery & none of us saw all the evidence except the jury which included two Black people.
The gun and his permit were legal, and he wasnt a suspect, the cop thought he resembled the suspect. Those are the facts.
And if you really think the prosecutors dont manipulate the evidence and juries to deliberately lose the case, you have a lot to learn about our justice system and how the people that work in it work to make sure they avoid accountability. Especially since the cops and prosecutor already work together. Major conflict of interest.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Well, to be honest, if they do go to jail for this killing and not for Castille, where everyone saw the evidence and I did not hear anybody defend the police actions, then what is the reason for the difference in the punishments other than race, gender, or class?
Yup. It is already clear this case is "different." The victim is being portrayed as a full person and there are no questions about how she may have "provoked police" or "behaved inappropriately." No one is digging up whatever irrelevant transgressions she may have had in the past to justify the police being "afraid."

Right now all the coverage is "OMG, this nice attractive lady got murdered by police, I can't believe that would ever happen!"

Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
A couple people have said that she was shot by a cop sitting in the car through the door. I can't find a link to that.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - shooting anyone needs to be investigated by an outside party. Shooting an unarmed person should bring charges of negligent homicide at the very least.

I wonder how many of these incidents have be done by people that have been in the military and have been exposed to combat in the Middle East. I believe anyone with modern combat training and experience need substantial retraining and detox time before being considered for police work.

I have never met any combat vets who have shot a woman in pajamas..........

Guys in black pajamas with AK47's in a free fire zone...... yes

Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not a black person. But a white middle aged female yoga teacher this time.
Middle aged female yoga teachers are super deadly!

Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Black, Muslim, male cop shoots dead white, female victim so this tragedy must be a hate crime because of the unarmed victim's skin color and the cop's skin color, right?

Will there be riots? Looting? Marching? Naw......

Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
just conjecture... but maybe the idiot decided to pull his weapon and it went off accidently while it was aimed at the drivers door..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies